• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Got a bit of a scoop today, when I went around to visit Martin Edge, who is putting the finishing touches on the brand new 4th edition of his popular book (I have seen it referred to here on Wetpixel as the bible!) The Underwater Photographer. Martin says that he has about 8 hours more work and then it is totally, completely finished.

The new edition is a total re-write and significantly expanded from the 3rd edition, it is certainly written so that it is an essential buy for anyone who has the 3rd edition. I got a few sneak peaks, I wasn't going to pass on that, which left me very keen to see the whole thing in the flesh. The book is due out this year and is already listed on Amazon (UK) with an early December release. Although I think Martin hopes it will be out a month earlier than that.

Here is a picture of Mr Edge, which I snapped over his shoulder as he was showing me some of the images from the section on schooling fish.
UK09_am_14719.jpg

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#2 Natalie_S

Natalie_S

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, travel

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Oh, that figures, just as I finished reading the 3rd edition.

Seriously, Martin's is the best UW photography book I've read. I wish I'd read it sooner. Looking forward to reading the new one soon!

Edited by Natalie_S, 03 September 2009 - 10:07 AM.

Nikon D300 in Sea & Sea housing, 10.5 mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 100 mm, SubSee diopter, Woody's diopter, 2x YS-110 strobes, BossK Big Blue 170 focus light.

Underwater photos

Portraits and Fashion

#3 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

This is the bible. Great to hear that its in the fourth edition. Plesae post when I can get a copy. I have a space for it next to my second and third editions!

Seriously, noone deals with the technical aspects of DSLR photography better than him. So with that and Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition I think you are set.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#4 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

Just as I was about to order the 3rd edition online too! I suppose I shall wait then. This sounds like it will be more than worth it :wacko:

#5 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Amazon is taking pre release orders with an estimated release date of November 7.

#6 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

Thats my chrimbo prezzie sorted then. I read the third edition in one, I was addicted to the way Martin has the writing power to make everything seem so easy and un complicted.
Putting it into practice is a different matter though !

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#7 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

I read the third edition in one, I was addicted to the way Martin has the writing power to make everything seem so easy and un complicted.
Putting it into practice is a different matter though !

I've often thought that a waterproof version of martin's book would be very handy to have as a reference tool underwater! Can't wait for the new edition to be released.
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#8 Kari Post

Kari Post

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:nature, the outdoors, adventures of all kinds, backpacking, swimming, photography, writing, conservation, education

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Nice. I'll have to buy it once it is in print.
Kari Post
www.karipost.com

#9 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

hmmmm...I was thinking of reading his book again, this maybe due a purchase to read on my 15 hour trip to Manado on Xmas eve!
I've also recently emailed him about a possible "advanced compact" course, maybe he might do a deal with the book!!?
Woody
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#10 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Ah crap third edition just arrived!

#11 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Amazon UK is quoting a delivery date of 28th October 2009 for pre-ordered copies.

Already ordered mine :P

Nige Wade

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#12 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I received a press release from the publishers at the weekend - with more info. Its on my laptop at the mo - I'll post it here soon.

Alex

#13 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

hmmmm...I was thinking of reading his book again, this maybe due a purchase to read on my 15 hour trip to Manado on Xmas eve!
I've also recently emailed him about a possible "advanced compact" course, maybe he might do a deal with the book!!?
Woody

Oh! How things can change in 12 days :) :P
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#14 ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

Amazon UK is quoting a delivery date of 28th October 2009 for pre-ordered copies.

Already ordered mine :)

Nige Wade

Will put it on my Xmas list for the OH to get for me. Currently reading the 3rd edition kindly loaned to me by another Wetpixie.

Oh! How things can change in 12 days :D :P

What don't you need a compact course anymore? :)
Making up in equipment what she lacks in skill and talent!

www.ecoberry.co.uk

My Flickr page.

#15 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:46 AM

Edge_Colour_Press_Release.jpg \

Got this on the email.

Alex

#16 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba & Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling & Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:56 AM

Great news.

Is the reverse also true, that if one buys the 4th edition it would also benefit you to buy the 3rd edition?

Thanks
Geo

#17 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:03 AM

I've not read the 4th Edition yet, so I am not sure.

IMO I would get the new one. Although Martin told me he has completely re-written the content - the message in some of the core areas remains the same. Things that were right in the 3rd Edition will still be right in the 4th Edition. Just expressed in a different way.

That said the 4th Edition has been written in the knowledge that many readers will have the 3rd Edition - so it is designed to work alongside it.

This is a quote from my interview with Martin about the 4th Edition from the next in my "A Conversation With..." series:
"so much new material has come up that my initial writing schedule of 3 months has ballooned to a year. I have even given up my golf for it"

Alex

#18 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba & Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling & Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

"so much new material has come up that my initial writing schedule of 3 months has ballooned to a year. I have even given up my golf for it"

:P

Sounds really good and even if it would mean buying both books, that aint a bad thing.

Another bit of good news is that we now know there will be "A Converstion with Martin Edge" to be read in the future.

#19 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

WP excepting, it has been Martin's third edition which has been instrumental in improving my u/w photography over any other. Its great to hear that his fourth contains so much more information and new material.

I've not read the 4th Edition yet, so I am not sure.

IMO I would get the new one. Although Martin told me he has completely re-written the content - the message in some of the core areas remains the same. Things that were right in the 3rd Edition will still be right in the 4th Edition. Just expressed in a different way.

That said the 4th Edition has been written in the knowledge that many readers will have the 3rd Edition - so it is designed to work alongside it.

This is a quote from my interview with Martin about the 4th Edition from the next in my "A Conversation With..." series:

Alex

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#20 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

I ordered the 4th edition on Amazon US with a delivery date of Nov. 09 2009...doesn't seem possible if Focal Press is saying December. What are my chances?

Alex -- When can we expect a comparable book from you?? :P
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's