• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#141 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Have to love the one click ordering on Amazon. So easy. Ordered mine just now. Hopefully it will be here before next Saturday so I can take it on my trip.

Cannot wait to see the latest edition

DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#142 marktol

marktol

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

My copy was despatched this morning at long last, should be with me in the next couple of day...! Glad to see Amazon UK have got stock now!
Canon G11, OEM Housing, Fantasea BigEye, Inon Z240 + D2000

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mark.tolcher
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/marktol/

Visit My Website

#143 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Got a bit of a scoop today, when I went around to visit Martin Edge, who is putting the finishing touches on the brand new 4th edition of his popular book (I have seen it referred to here on Wetpixel as the bible!) The Underwater Photographer. Martin says that he has about 8 hours more work and then it is totally, completely finished.

The new edition is a total re-write and significantly expanded from the 3rd edition, it is certainly written so that it is an essential buy for anyone who has the 3rd edition. I got a few sneak peaks, I wasn't going to pass on that, which left me very keen to see the whole thing in the flesh. The book is due out this year and is already listed on Amazon (UK) with an early December release. Although I think Martin hopes it will be out a month earlier than that.

Alex

Well, I got mine just in time for my trip! Actually got the 4th edition yesterday and the 3rd today! LOL! So am taking the 3rd on The Road, and will leave the 4th at home.

I will be spending so much time trying to get a basic handle on this stuff!
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#144 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:50 AM

I notice that this is in the unrequited gear lust section, and for a while I thought it might be (unrequited that is!)

Amazon UK delivered mine this morning!

First thoughts are that it has a bunch of "guest" speakers, and it is a big book!

Now for a quiet week!

Adam

Edited by adamdiveruk, 24 February 2010 - 04:50 AM.

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#145 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

I got an email advising of the refund too which was a nice surprise. I'm not even sure if it is available in hardcover?

While I am not going to refuse my refund, I would have far rather paid the full price and had more of the money go to Martin honestly.

I am all for lower prices but I also want authors to be fairly compensated so that they continue to produce such excellent and helpful works.

#146 ramaroodle

ramaroodle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

WOW! Wonderful book. Fantastic reference. Beginner to advanced.

It also drives home the lesson that the photographer not the equipment makes the difference. Unless those Inons have some kind of Harry Potter magical powers I have the ability to take much better shots with my D300 & my DS125's.

Andy
Andy Bryant (a.bryant@verizon.net)
D300, Subal ND20 retrofit, 2x DS125 w/TTL, 60,105,17-70,10-17, macro mate, mac

#147 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

I couldn't even find it on Amazon UK, but it's showing as in stock on Amazon.com.

Poor show for us Brits.

R

Hi Ralphy,
I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether
I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed
order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.

I just received the following from them

.....I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher. This book will be dispatched to you in the next few days.....

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#148 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hi Ralphy,
I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether
I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed
order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.

I just received the following from them

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,
thanks for that, I've been too busy to go onto Amazon for it so I'll re-order off The Book Repository.

R

#149 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'll add my $0.02 endorsement. Ordered the book from Amazon after reading this thread about 10 days ago - came about a week later, and from what I've read, this is a MUST HAVE for every serious uw photographer (I know what I'll be getting several people for Christmas this year!).

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#150 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia :clapping:

Cheers,
Jim

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#151 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...

#152 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...

I have the 3rd editon and I'm keen on getting the 4th too. But could somone here please give a little "what's new" highlights here?

#153 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Oskar: Vad jag förstått så är den helt omgjord med innehåll bara för digitalkameror. Kan ju dock ha fel då jag inte läst de andra.

#154 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Mine arrived last week too, so far so good, although i'm not even half way thru yet. Although I'm yet to see just how much of it is new from the 3rd edn.

Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia :drink:

Where'd you get it at that price Jim? Mine was actually a gift so not sure how much it was to get out here.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#155 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hi Ryan,
it was from The Book Depository in the UK. I'm so used to paying an arm and a leg for books here in Australia I was
amazed at the deal I got. When I showed Alex and Shannon my copy they were both happy with the print quality on their
images in it.

Cheers,
Jim.

#156 Plyschmannen

Plyschmannen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:21 AM

Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance there is one page of a shot of a eel, with a quiz on how it was being lighted. The answer was on around page 260 I think. The answer says the strobe was placed left, but reading the explanation it really does seem to be from the right. I'm about halfway though, and I think I've spotted 4 - 5 missing letters (is instead of his for instance). I might have my expectations set to high, but I feel when you get this kind of mistakes that I find just by reading it through, what else have they got wrong?

I was looking at www.edgeunderwaterphotography.com for some errata, but I couldn't find anything.

/Björn

#157 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance../Björn

I've found a bunch, too, but in every case, it's been pretty obvious what was intended, and there's enough worthwhile info in it that I consider that a minor quibble.

Nevertheless, I would concede that when the fifth edition is "ready for press," Martin should probably have Alex and a dozen or so other people (literate uw photographers) "beta test" it before actually finalizing it for print.

Edited by bmyates, 26 March 2010 - 08:46 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#158 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

I've noticed in both his third and fourth edition numerous errors. Martin could certainly use a proof reader. And yes, I am volunteering my services! But as Bruce pointed out, for the most part it is obvious what was intended.
Mike

#159 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2987 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Since I got the first copy Alex asked me to write up a review. It's up on the front page today.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#160 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

Since I got the first copy Alex asked me to write up a review. It's up on the front page today.

Cheers,
Steve

You are a star ;) And you are determined to make me spend more money on this darned UW photo thing, aren't you? :o

Good review Steve and I am going to pick it up - it seemed pretty clear from the git go that there was enough of a difference from the last edition to make it worthwhile and your review sealed it.