1 reply to this topic

#1 crate

crate

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi All,

I've been shooting video for a number of years using a Sony PC120 with Gates housing and wide port, & have been delighted with the results. I like the manual controls of the Gates, but it would be nice to have a little more control when zooming in, & to have the option of shooting macro too. The PC120 did a great job with auto-white balance. That combined with the color correction filter produced great coloration using only the ambient light. Images were crisp, & the autofocus knew exactly what to focus on.

I was very interested in the new Canon HF S10, but Gates are yet to release their housing for it, and L&M's Bluefin C is still waiting on the wide angle ports from Fathom. I have also tried the new Bluefin Pro with XR500, and can honestly say I am not a fan:
The manual white balance doesnt set beyond 60 feet or so. The auto focus is all over the place. Accessing the various camera settings through the side window is very awkward, and the telemacro setting is disabled once the camera's in the housing. The LCD monitor has a software bug, which results in the image scrolling so you cant see what you're shooting (there is a trick to reset it by pressing a series of buttons), and when the screen does function, the reflection on the monitor makes it very difficult to see - even with the monitor shade. The colors for the most part are not realistic, & I dont want to be editing that post production. The color correction filter is also more orange than the Gates standard 'rose' color. For a $6000+ set up, I was not impressed.

Can anyone recommend a good 'point & shoot' HD system that will match the performance of the SD Sony PC120?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

What is your criteria for housings? Optics or controls? Aquatica, Ikelite, Mangrove (amongst others) all have housings for the HF-S10.
And when you ask to match the performance of the PC120, which specific areas are you asking for? Resolution is a given. Recording length is now in 4-6 hr range. Low light I think it's about even now, given the resolution differences.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.