Photo
- - - - -

Best Red sea liveaboard itinerary for Tokina 10-17mm?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blimbo

blimbo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:38 AM

I'm in the process of booking a liveaboard trip to the Red sea for October or November. I did Simply the Best last year which was fantastic (with my G7/Ikelite setup), but this year I'm going to have a Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17mm. Does anyone have any suggestions on an itinerary which would maximise the potential of this lens (with a single Inon z240)? I'd be happy with any of the itineraries except perhaps one of the wreck focused ones.

Cheers,
Tim
Nikon D90, Hugyfot housing, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Nikkor AF-S 105mm, Inon Z-240

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

Well Tim, my first thought would have been a northern wrecks itinerary, but out of Sharm (rather than Hurghada) in order to have time at Ras and Tiran too.

Ohterwise St John's and Elphinstone would be a good intinerary to use the w/a capability of the Tokina but the day or so you'd have at the Fury Shoal may be better spent with some macro glass unless you dive the Tien Tsien and yacht at Abu Galawa. On this itinerary you'll end up at Umm Rus and Abu Dabab after Elphinstone so your Tokina will be useful when you are hunting the dingdongs (dugongs) and turtles on the sea grass.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 blimbo

blimbo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks Tim, St. John's is looking like a distinct possibility at the moment, and the oppportunity to spot a dugong or two is certainly exciting. I'll check out the Umm Rus and Abu Dabab options.

Cheers,
T
Nikon D90, Hugyfot housing, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Nikkor AF-S 105mm, Inon Z-240

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

... except perhaps one of the wreck focused ones...

A pity that you have the ideal wreckies lens, then...

#*!?! I'm no longer a Tokinaskeptic!

If you can't find any sharks, then Abu Galawa at Fury shoal and some caves would be good, shoals of fish and maybe a shark on an offshore reef like the Brothers or Elphinstone, or some sea fans: pretty much anything south of Marsa Alam should suit.

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest, 18 September 2009 - 06:35 AM.