• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rogersea

Rogersea

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:44 AM

I just read the post with the link to the storage device for the EX1 and EX3. I am considering purchasing a Sony FX-7 or possibly the HVR-V1. Does anyone know if I can use a 16GB memory stick in those units to record my video and if I would be giving up video quality by using that stick instead of tape?

thanks for the assistance.

Cheers,
Roger

#2 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

From the FX-7 manual p. 28, 107:

This camera records movies on tape and still images on Memory Stick Duo

The maximum memory capacity of a "Memory Stick PRO Duo" that can be used on your camera is 4GB.

They also mention that it has to be a "Duo" stick. review the manual here:
http://esupport.sony...c...DRFX7&LOC=3

Because I was curious, I checked the HVR-V1U manual, it's the same:

This camera records movies on tape and still images on Memory Stick Duo

click the resources tab to d/l the manual: http://pro.sony.com/...product-HVRV1U/

Edited by sjspeck, 19 September 2009 - 10:14 AM.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Roger, search for the HVR-MRC1 compact flash card module in the archives or google it. That will work with the V1.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 Rogersea

Rogersea

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the leads, I may just continue to wait for a Sony prosumer to come out which allows me to record to hard drive, I currently have the 520 and love it but would like to get a little more serious(on a budget).

#5 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the leads, I may just continue to wait for a Sony prosumer to come out which allows me to record to hard drive, I currently have the 520 and love it but would like to get a little more serious(on a budget).

Roger if you want a FX7/V1 comparable camera that records to solid state then take a look at the Z7 (which is actually a step up) - it records to CF cards in addition to tape and it is a very nice HDV camera. I'd be surprised if you'll find any coming out that will record to an integrated HDD, unless it is a solid state disk.

edit - not sure if there are actually any housings for it so check that out first!

Edited by SimonSpear, 21 September 2009 - 07:46 AM.

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

Roger if you want a FX7/V1 comparable camera that records to solid state then take a look at the Z7 (which is actually a step up) - it records to CF cards in addition to tape and it is a very nice HDV camera. I'd be surprised if you'll find any coming out that will record to an integrated HDD, unless it is a solid state disk.

edit - not sure if there are actually any housings for it so check that out first!

Amphibico do one ;)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#7 Rogersea

Rogersea

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Amphibico do one ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

I happened to stop by Amphibico while I was in Montreal two weeks ago, and I looked at the Phenom it is VERY nice, I was more interested in the Endeavors that they have in stock.

I was very impressed by AMPHIBICOs manufacturing facility, it was nice to see that they were manufacturing the majority of the parts in house.

The Phenom, Z7U and Lights push the setup in the "not sure I want to spend that much money" category: until I get a little better at editing.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

#8 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Z7 is a great cam actually, I've shot with one on surface and it is very comparable to the EX1 in terms of low light and picture quality. Interchangeable lenses are pretty awesome too!

But yeah it will be a fair bit more expensive than an FX7

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney