• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 randyj

randyj

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

If this is a duplicate I apologize. My question/problem is that I have two Ikelite housings, one for an Olympus 8080 and the other for a Sony A700 and the housing for the Sony is showing cracks around the perimeter of the housing starting on the outside and going inwards almost like a stress crack. The Olympus housing shows no such issues. It is stored in a Pelican case when not in use with the o-ring removed and two housing pieces connected but not latched. No chemicals, detergent or otherwise, have been used on the unit and it is flushed with freshwater after use. I live in a very dry climate, but the Olympus housing shows no such cracks. It doesn't leak at this time but have to wonder for how long. An email has been sent to Ikelite but response yet. Has anyone had/seen anything like this? Unfortunately, Ikelite is the only mfr. to make a housing for the Sony.

#2 spencer!

spencer!

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

I had a crack in a housing that actually DID leak - i think it was due to some bouncing in a boat. Call Ikelite, they are more responsive over the phone. However, sometimes the polycarb has what looks like cracks that are normal (or so i've been led to believe). If it doesn't leak now, Ikelite techs are probably the only ones that can determine if the cracks are normal or potential leaks...
ymmv
spencer
O Hai! I iz n UR Oshawn, BlindN UR fiSHS.
blindfishz.com

#3 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

If the cracks are much more than 'surface crazing' and appear to penetrate to any depth though the thickness of the acrylic whatsoever, and are around any penetrations (controls) or obvious stress points or potential impact locations on the mold (near corners and the like), I would definitely suggest sending to Ike for evaluation. If its in warranty they're really good about replacement from everything I've read, and if not, it's probably still cheaper to get a paid replacement than have to replace your camera, lenses, housing TTL-circuitry, etc if it does end up flooding because of a fracture. The A700 ain't cheap or so old it's worth "forcing" an upgrade! :( At the very least, they can pressure-test it and verify that it's still golden to the rated depth (and that the cracks didn't spread in so doing).

They can be a little slow responding to "what if" emails - likely they get a LOT of those - and no pre-authorization is required to send it in for service/evaluation. Just include a letter in the package describing the issue (maybe a stickynote with an arrow "Look here!" on the housing would do in this case), and they will get back to you with their advised solution (e.g. no problem - want us to do a maintenance/cleanup while we got it?" or "here's what it'll cost to fix" or whatnot).

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#4 randyj

randyj

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

If the cracks are much more than 'surface crazing' and appear to penetrate to any depth though the thickness of the acrylic whatsoever, and are around any penetrations (controls) or obvious stress points or potential impact locations on the mold (near corners and the like), I would definitely suggest sending to Ike for evaluation. If its in warranty they're really good about replacement from everything I've read, and if not, it's probably still cheaper to get a paid replacement than have to replace your camera, lenses, housing TTL-circuitry, etc if it does end up flooding because of a fracture. The A700 ain't cheap or so old it's worth "forcing" an upgrade! :( At the very least, they can pressure-test it and verify that it's still golden to the rated depth (and that the cracks didn't spread in so doing).

They can be a little slow responding to "what if" emails - likely they get a LOT of those - and no pre-authorization is required to send it in for service/evaluation. Just include a letter in the package describing the issue (maybe a stickynote with an arrow "Look here!" on the housing would do in this case), and they will get back to you with their advised solution (e.g. no problem - want us to do a maintenance/cleanup while we got it?" or "here's what it'll cost to fix" or whatnot).

Heard back from Ikelite and had me send some photos as I will need it in three weeks, they would still like to inspect it and will do so when I return.

#5 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

I had a crack on one of my old housings and sent it in to Ikelite "just in case". They promptly replaced the entire front of the housing and all controls. I basically got a "new" housing back. No ifs, buts or excuses, no need to struggle and plead. I suggest you send it in, if there is a problem they will take care of it.

#6 blueglass

blueglass

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Same experience as Marjo,
The old housing for the film Nikon F90/N90 could develop a small crack around one of the latches screws after few years of use. Ikelite was always great at replacing the housings, no questions asked, even if one of my housings was second hand and out of warranty.
You have the best customer support behind your housing, use it !

Edited by blueglass, 13 October 2009 - 01:13 PM.

Carlos Villoch
www.magicsea.com www.villoch.com
Itīs better down there...