• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Saint08

Saint08

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

For those who are using Aluminum Housing, like those of Patima, does it get any scratches when you sometimes knock into hard corals during a macro shoot?

I understand that as much as we can, we should not destroy corals but sometimes accident do happen. Please kindly advise.

#2 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

I am usually more worried about the way the boathands handle my housing than scratching it on the coral.

I'm pretty sure the boathands that handle my Aquatica housing get surprised at the weight of the housing and tend to put it down on the deck with a little more force than they intended.

This housing "rash" has tended to concentrate itself around the lower edges of the housing and is chipping off the powder coated paint on the corners of the housing. Thankfully, the fine people at Aquatica had the foresight to place a layer of anodizing (?) on the housing before powder coating the housing.

Placing a plastic "skid plate" on the bottom of the housing may help you avoid the "housing rash", alternatively, a few layers of good old duct tape will work just as well but will have to be changed after about ten or twenty dives.

Hope that helps.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms