• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeepDiscovery

DeepDiscovery

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 10:19 AM

I have seen posts (primarily on DPreview forums) showing a very nice picture frame around someones posted pictures. How do they do this. Is this some very elaborate canvas work in PS/E or is there a software program that does this.

I tried to register to use DPreview forums in order to ask there but couldn't because it didn't like my e-mail address ??? (roadrunner)...so I came "back home" to ask here.

Anyway, the URL below is a link to an example of what I am talking about.

http://forums.dprevi...message=6062903

Thanks, Bill

Bill Spadie
Canon 5DIII, 17-40 f4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro
Aquatica 5DIII, YS-90DX(2)
www.wespicsphotography.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 10:33 AM

Photoshop comes with some actions to do drop shadows and picture frames. Go to:

File - Automate - Batch to find them.

You can also download more actions just by doing a search on the web.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 DeepDiscovery

DeepDiscovery

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response James.

Apparently this is one of the full PS7 features that PSE2 does not have as there is no file - automation - batch choice under the file menu; only a file - automation tools - PDF slideshow and multipage PDF to PSD slide show actions.

Bill

Bill Spadie

#4 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:36 PM

I was curious about the frames so I did a search on DPreview and eventually came up with this link which includes a reference to Richard Lynch's great book "The Hidden Power of PS Elements 2". If you don't already have the book I highly recommend it although obviously I haven't read nearly enough of it.

http://www.retouchpr...47117#post47117

TedJ

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#5 DeepDiscovery

DeepDiscovery

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

If anyone is following this thread and is interested, here is a bit more info.

I've been surfing the web to learn more. This is what I have found out so far. "Actions" in PS are "Effects" in PSE2. There is an effects pallett that you can pull down and use as you would any of the others. One of the effects is "frames".

I found an "action" at Photofreaks.com written for PSE that you can purchase ($14.95) that will run the steps required to create various frames for you. I believe this is nothing more than what I thought to begin with...that these frames are a series of steps modifying the canvas behind the photo. What I would like to learn now is what are the steps involved and whether they are so involved that it is worth the $15.00 to buy the "action" and let it do the work for you or if I can do it myself in a reasonable amount of time.

Jay Arraich's Elements Tips at http://www.arraich.c...s/psE_intro.htm has a lot of useful info that I think will eventually tell me what I want to know.

I'm impressed with elements. Haven't found anything (yet) that I have wanted to do that I can't with this program. At this point I see no reason to spend the money on PS7. I only wish Canon would have included a users guide with the copy that came with my 10d...

Bill Spadie