• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Inspired by the imagery produced by Hawaii's Black Water dives we finally set off on our own version of the Black Water dive out of Palm Beach, FL. on the Deep Obsession dive boat (operated by Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures) this past Friday. We jumped into the Gulf Stream and drifted along the top of 500 feet of water not knowing what to expect.

Having spent the last two years photographing every possible plankton that drifts across these waters I have been at a stalemate for a number of months now. I was uncertain I would find any new creatures. Much to my surprise I was surrounded by new creatures I had never seen and some I was hopeful to see. Most of the creatures were miniscule in size with an occasional moon jelly drifting by. Today would not be the day when we would photograph the giant squid (with a 50mm macro lens), but the smaller critters certainly made up for it.

Now, just as in Hawaii, photographing them was challenging. Drifting in mid water trying to focus on something the size of your pinky nail (or smaller) is no easy task. The good news is we didn't have to worry about any photographer silting up the bottom! :P

Among the creatures that I observed were numerous shrimp larval, flounders in various larval stages, a (pelagic?) pipefish, tons of ctenophores, and even an eel in its larval stage. We will certainly be doing these trips again and I am hopeful that I will get my chance to photograph the elusive giant squid with my 50mm lens real soon. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Amazing Laz! How deep were you diving? I think the Wetpixel JASA trips just got even longer for you guys. When are you going to sleep?

Wonderful images partner,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

Love the flounder! Gorgeous.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba & Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling & Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

WOW - amazing pictures and tetemant to just how many different dive options there is do be done.
Did you use Autofocus or Manual for these?

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:26 AM

Beautiful Laz; looks like another trip or two to WPB / JASA is on the agenda.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

Great work Laz! I love that juvi flounder too - just incredible.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I am really psyched about doing many more such dives. I think this type of diving (and the images produced) in Palm Beach will add to the area's attraction. Plus, I'll finally be able to pull you Shear Waters guys away from Phil Foster long enough to get you to see the rest of Palm Beach! (Yeah, right!! LOL)

I've already seen some of the images from one other photographer who was on the trip and his encounters were quite different. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the imagery from the rest of the photographers and videographers who were on the maiden black water trip. I will post them on JASA's web site as soon as I have some more material.

To answer your questions...

Steve: We were in 500 feet of water -- hovering between 5ft - 40ft. Sleep... What's that?

Aqua_soul: I was shooting a 50mm in manual. I set the focus to the * button and based on the creature I was going to photograph, I would preset my focus on my hand at the proper distance and move the camera back and forth until the subject was in focus. It wasn't as difficult as I expected. I probably wouldn't try this type of diving with a 100mm, though. I think that would narrow your frame too much and make it a lot harder to get any shots.

Loftus: Perfect! I have gone ahead and signed you up for our next trip. :P Best of all, we are running a photo contest on the trips: the best photo of the night wins a free trip on Deep O. I think a macro wide angle shot of a juvenile peacock flounder in the foreground with one of your beautiful (human) models in similar peacock-like attire in the background would certainly win!
Lazaro Ruda

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

Loftus: Perfect! I have gone ahead and signed you up for our next trip. :P Best of all, we are running a photo contest on the trips: the best photo of the night wins a free trip on Deep O. I think a macro wide angle shot of a juvenile peacock flounder in the foreground with one of your beautiful (human) models in similar peacock-like attire in the background would certainly win!

Absolutely sign me up; and don't give me any crazy ideas?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#9 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

Beautiful shots Laz! You must have been stoked when you saw the pipefish. You probably weren't expecting it. The flounder shot is awesome. Were the divers tethered to the boat, or were you all free swimming? Looking forward to more shots. Makes we want to go back to Kona.

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#10 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Beautiful shots Laz! You must have been stoked when you saw the pipefish. You probably weren't expecting it. The flounder shot is awesome. Were the divers tethered to the boat, or were you all free swimming? Looking forward to more shots. Makes we want to go back to Kona.

We have seen pelagic seahorses in the Bahamas while doing the night dolphin swims, but I was surprised to see the pipefish out here. We don't commonly see pipefish out on the reefs.

The divers were not tethered to the boat. What we did was use a lit float ball with a forty foot line on it. We attached cyalume sticks every 5 feet to give divers a visual reference to their depth. At the bottom of the line we attached one of Jimmy's high power Green Force lights (with LOTS of tie-wraps) pointing downward in hopes of attracting some critters towards the line. The boat kept its distance from the divers and could easily follow the float and the divers. Staying with the float ball was easily accomplished since it was not affected by the wind and was drifting at the same speed as the divers.
Lazaro Ruda

#11 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

I just showed Jimmy the photos from the dive (he was captaining and hadn't seen them yet) and he jumped out of his chair and said we're doing it again this Friday on Shear Water. I have a feeling he's going to be in the water this time, though. :P

See you, and your crazy ideas, at the dock on Friday!!! :)
Lazaro Ruda

#12 mojodiver

mojodiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Nice shots!!!

#13 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

Outstanding! I haven't been diving in Florida in decades. Blue Heron Bridge, manatees, Rainbow River, and now black water!. Time to go back. Lazlo, thanks for the post.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

I just showed Jimmy the photos from the dive (he was captaining and hadn't seen them yet) and he jumped out of his chair and said we're doing it again this Friday on Shear Water. I have a feeling he's going to be in the water this time, though. :P

See you, and your crazy ideas, at the dock on Friday!!! :)

Shoot! How about Saturday, I can do it then and I'll be in WPB anyway during the day. Shooting crazy pool stuff on Friday.

Edited by loftus, 12 October 2009 - 10:07 AM.

#15 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Killer shots Laz ! Keep us informed if this becomes a regular scheduled event. I've been meaning to plan a trip to WP and this just may be the ticket.

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#16 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Very cool Laz. And thanks for sending the video link of my dives with you back in Sept. with the baitballs & Goliaths. It was a pleasant surprise.
Ellen B.

#17 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

Laz the flounder is superb!

Awesome shots. Next trip down sign me up.

As long as we can still get Jimmy to the cafe for his Eggs Benny in the morning and me a Starbucks bold coffee. LOL

Well done my friend well done.

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#18 DiveMasterMark

DiveMasterMark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, aviation

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Great images, Laz! Truly inspiring. Looks like a trip south is even more necessary for me...
It's all a matter of perspective...