10 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

I am planning on making a calendar for gifts to family/friends for the holidays. Local print stores make them and have done that for family snap shots but wanting to step up the quality of the paper for the image.
I was wondering if people here had preferred websites for generating calendars. This one seems interesting but I have never done business with them.
Creative Calendars

Who has generated a calendar and would recommend that location? Since I am US based, it would seem shipping would be better here but am open to other locations.

I am after better quality paper for the images than the standard print shop.
Suggestions?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

I am planning on making a calendar for gifts to family/friends for the holidays. Local print stores make them and have done that for family snap shots but wanting to step up the quality of the paper for the image.
I was wondering if people here had preferred websites for generating calendars. This one seems interesting but I have never done business with them.
Creative Calendars

Who has generated a calendar and would recommend that location? Since I am US based, it would seem shipping would be better here but am open to other locations.

I am after better quality paper for the images than the standard print shop.
Suggestions?

I've used Café Press and Lulu and would not recommend them. The print quality was just decent at best.

#3 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

I used Snapfish once and got their cheapest cost matte finish calendar and did not like it. I tried them one more time at a friend's urging and spent the extra $10 to get the larger calendar with semi-glossy finish and was much happier. I would do it again with that particular finish and size.
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#4 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

I've done these a variety of ways over the years. I would recommend Qoop. It's an online service and does a pretty nice job. You can access it through Flickr which makes setting up the photos pretty easy.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 17 October 2009 - 09:17 AM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#5 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am checking into the recommendations.
Anyone use MyCanvas? They are associated with Smugmug, it appears.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#6 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

Dave I can highly recomend Red Bubble the quality is excellent.
I ordered some calendars last year and the print reproduction was spot on. Just got a batch for next years and they're still perfect.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#7 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

Check out Digi-labs. http://www.digi-labs...calendars.shtml

We having been using their calendar software and printing services for several years now and they are very good. The software is easy to use and very customizable and there are several different sizes and styles of calendars. The paper is 80lb cardstock and the printers they use do a great job on the color...even blue water. And I believe they are having a special right now for free shipping if you upload in October!

Kathy
http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes

#8 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

Thank you for the continuing information..and I am checking the sites recommended.
MyPublisher.com has a nice special going as well...40% off orders over $100 until Nov 4th, which would add up to quite a bit for what I have planned. Their calendars are $23 before the discount. Glossy pics

But I have no experience with them. Much prefer recommendations from photographers that had good experiences.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#9 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Making our third one on "Shutterfly"
Heavy, glossy at US$19.99 for first and $9.99 for each additional one.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#10 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Making our third one on "Shutterfly"
Heavy, glossy at US$19.99 for first and $9.99 for each additional one.

Checked the fine print at Shutterfly. I am not interested in them having royalty-free rights to use the pics there for most any reason they see fit. Below is a copy/paste of their conditions.

"you will retain ownership of such Submissions, and you hereby grant us and our designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, and publicly display and perform (publicly or otherwise) such Submissions, solely in connection with the Service (including without limitation for purposes of promoting the Service)."

www.shiningseastudio.com

#11 lomolove

lomolove

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

I haven't tried calendar production before but I have tried the services of Vistaprint. I remembered that they offered calendar printing and reproduction. Why don't you try visiting their site and availing of Vistaprint coupons? I gave them a try and they delivered the goods exceptionally well. And they posed reasonable prices too.