• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

Rob Galbraith's evaluation of the 1D Mark IV and the comparison with Nikon D3s for sport photography is now available:

http://robgalbraith....d=7-10048-10484

Interestingly, it appears Canon took his runner test so seriously, it kicks butt. However it also messed up at the other sports compared to the Nikon D3s. My own tests with the 1D Mark IV consisted of chasing cars and tennis players, so it's not indoors or low light. I thought it was fine but I didn't get into it. I guess we'll all have to test more before throwing out the change to buy the camera.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the link, Drew. Can't wait to read the full analysis.

#23 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

I was a little surprised by this as from what I've seen personally and online this camera kicks butt. Rob knows his stuff though.

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Well, I always personally check thoroughly before buying a camera anyhow. I don't impulse buy as much anymore. :drink:
Many of his tests require the photographer to be VERY proficient at following the subject. If there is a 2nd issue with the 1D series, I'm sure more agencies and free lancers will start dumping their Canon gear. This happened with the last series too. I'm also surprised he didn't test the new 70-200 L II with the camera, just to make it more interesting.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

I just got back from the Maldives, using the MKIV quite thoroughly. Aside from the wide angle work, which it handled very well, I was pretty amazed at how quickly and accurately it acquired focus with the 100mm macro. Huge enhancement vs. my 1DsMKIII in same housing, in terms of AF accuracy. MKIV appears to be a very significant tool for UW work. See clown trigger and screengrab of the 1:1 view. Point and shoot, and it seems to nail it.

Frink_Maldives_3204.jpg

1to1_detail_100.jpg

Edited by StephenFrink, 12 February 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#26 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

I liked the high ISO capability too. 8000 ISO.

Frink_Dubai_3387.jpg

8000_noise.jpg

#27 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

51,200 ISO on this one. Handheld, moving boat to boat, at 1/200th second. Pretty intriguing possibilities.

Frink_Maldives_0511.jpg

#28 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

51,200 ISO on this one. Handheld, moving boat to boat, at 1/200th second. Pretty intriguing possibilities.

You, Mary Lynn and others pretty much forced me to get my 5D Mark II by your posts and results. I can no longer read what you write (though I really like my 5D.) :drink:

Kidding aside, the shots look really good to me. That boat shot is very intriguing....51,200..wow....

#29 meerseen

meerseen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:21 AM

Hai!

What do you think about the picture quality at 3.200 ISO and 6.400 comparing the 5DMKII and the 1DIV?

Is the 1DsIV better?
Or is it nearly the same?

Schorsch

Edit: 1DsIV to 1DIV

Edited by meerseen, 13 February 2010 - 11:01 AM.

Canon 5D MK II
Seacam housing
Seacam Seaflash 150

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:06 AM

The 5D2 is cleaner to my eyes to the 1D4 but not by much. The 1Ds4 isn't out yet (but it's around :drink:)

Drew

#31 meerseen

meerseen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hai!

Sorry. Of course the difference between 5DMKII vs. 1DMKIV.

Schorsch
Canon 5D MK II
Seacam housing
Seacam Seaflash 150

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

I think the 5D2 is cleaner up to 6400, with just a bit less chroma noise. But it's a negligible difference at 100% crop. If you do a FOV comparison, the 5D2 will be better. If you test by focal length, the 1D4 will look slightly better. It's so close that if you are considering the 1D4 for AF and other features, noise shouldn't be a big factor.
However, the 1080p from the 1D4 is slightly cleaner and has less CMOS skew, probably due to the Dual Digic. It's ridiculous how good the video is from either camera at even 12800 but chroma noise is an issue with Canon.

Drew