• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tank

tank

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:13 AM

I had one of my best dive experiences while solo diving in Skerries/Ireland. It was a sunny day and lots of people around. I was taking pictures of small shrimp when it suddenly got dark. I looked up and there was a big grey seal staring straight at me. Well I tell you, I never got such a shock. It circled around me and we kept eye contact the whole time and then it went away, briefly. I turned upside down as to keep a better eye out for its return. Then suddenly it zipped right up to me and went straight for my fins !!! Another big shock for me...As it was biting my fins I shouted into my regulator "GET AWAY". I think the seal got the message and went away. My heart was pounding and at that point I just wanted to get back to shore. It was my first seal encounter and I over reacted. Of course I got NO pictures :-( I just wished there was someone else there to experience that particular dive. :)
www.scubabreaks.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:03 PM

Interesting!

Seals will definitely take playful nips at fins. I think they also do this to other seals. It can certainly be disconcerting.

I have not heard of any serious problems w/ pinnipeds, except for that researcher that was killed by a leopard seal in Antarctica

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org