10 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

Spammers have recently started using Wetpixel as a destination for marketing links by putting unrelated content in newly created users' forum profile pages. This means that a spam message blasted out in an email somewhere out there might contain a link to Wetpixel, which would unwittingly have become a host for spam content.

Note that none of this affects you, the Wetpixel user, the content you have posted on Wetpixel, or your private information. The only issue here is that spammers are using their profiles to host spam content. I have a plan to try to combat this new form of spam. I made some changes tonight that will hopefully help us to win the battle in the long run.

Posted Image
example accounts used to host spam

**Changes**:

• New members can no longer edit their user profile. This feature becomes unlocked after a new member's transition to a normal member.
  • BBCode, which is the language used to post images and links, is no longer allowed on profile pages. If you currently have BBCode on your profile page, it will still show up, but you will not be able to including BBCode if you modify it.
  • There is now a new, required anti-spam field in the registration area (only affects you if you're registering as a new member)
  • New users with "spammy" fragments in their usernames will be deleted automatically. If you're an established member with an unfortunate name, this will not affect you. However, new members with spammy names will find their accounts eradicated frequently (e.g. User "Mulva Nudesto" would be deleted for containing the word "nude").
If the spam continues, we may have to adopt more drastic measures. In the meantime, please let us know if you notice any spam content on Wetpixel! We know that spam content still exists in some of the new users' profiles, and it will be a daunting task to try to remove it all.

Best,
Eric Cheng
Publisher/Editor, Wetpixel

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Very cool Eric. Good to know there's a steady hand on the (WP) wheel...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

It is a constant, annoying battle. :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#4 batray

batray

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Eric,
Good luck with your spamer battle. I have had to deal with it on my forum as well.
I had to implement the use captchas for every post to stop the spambots. I had very little luck with text filtering.

Chris

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Registration CAPTCHAS have not been working here. I'll bet they are using manual CAPTCHA killing -- I've read about companies in China that break CAPTCHAS for nearly nothing (using cheap labor). They are never going to work in areas that spammers really want access to.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#6 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:45 AM

If the spam continues, we may have to adopt more drastic measures. In the meantime, please let us know if you notice any spam content on Wetpixel! We know that spam content still exists in some of the new users' profiles, and it will be a daunting task to try to remove it all.

Best,
Eric Cheng
Publisher/Editor, Wetpixel

Posted Image

Sorry you have to go through this hassle. What a shame. We appreciate your efforts ...
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#7 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

Please allow me to spam once:

ok, embedding doesnt seem to work for me:

enjoy......

[edited by mod to embed youtube video]

Edited by echeng, 24 October 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#8 batray

batray

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

Registration CAPTCHAS have not been working here. I'll bet they are using manual CAPTCHA killing -- I've read about companies in China that break CAPTCHAS for nearly nothing (using cheap labor). They are never going to work in areas that spammers really want access to.

I use CAPTCHAS for every post, not just registration.

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Chris - I just meant that CAPTCHAS have been broken by APIs with cheap labor solving them in the background. If someone wants to get in enough, a CAPTCHA will not stop them. It just isn't worth it for spammers to break a CAPTCHA to post a message -- yet... but that may change if it gets cheap enough!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#10 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

Here's one that needs sorting
http://wetpixel.com/...mp;#entry227399

#11 echeng