Photo
- - - - -

Pelagic octopus and giant squid bit identification (Ogasawara, Japan)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

While we were in Ogasawara, we photographed the carcasses of three large cephalopods spit up by sperm whales. The first was some sort of pelagic octopus, the second, a very large squid (arm segment floating in the water, body in the mouth of a sperm whale), and the third, a 351-cm giant squid arm, which was photographed and then recovered for research (they got this after I left -- have yet to see photos).

This is probably a stretch, but does anyone have any idea what these critters are? As a reminder, Ogasawara is where the footage of a live Architeuthis was taken back in 2006.

Pelagic octopus (Tony Wu surmises that it might be a (Haliphron atlanticus) seven-arm octopus):

Posted Image

For scale, here's Tony floating above it:

Posted Image

Squid arm segment. Coloration looks similar to the coloration of the arms of the Architeuthis in the Ogasawara video from 2006.

Posted Image

Squid chunk in sperm whale mouth. We think it's the same squid, because they were in the same area:

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

I forwarded this post to Steve O'Shea, the renowned teuthologist. I imagine he'll be able to help.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite