16 replies to this topic

#1 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

As of November 1, all Ikelite DSLR housings will feature four instead of two port locks.

http://www.ikelite.c..._4portlock.html

And note this, too:

Housings shipped after Nov. 1 will also feature a new 1/4-20 threaded mounting point for the attachment of a focus light, video light or other lightweight accessories.

Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#2 rinjani

rinjani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

As of November 1, all Ikelite DSLR housings will feature four instead of two port locks.

http://www.ikelite.c..._4portlock.html

And note this, too:

Dang, and I just had my housing serviced! :)
Jon Bertsch
Website: http://www.jonbertsch.com, http://www.thalassagraphics.com
D200...Ikelite Housing...Ike DS125...Nik 105mm|Tam 90mm, Tokina 10-17mm...Nik V

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Wow that's great news! I also see that there will be a mounting point on top for focus lights, etc. I'm glad that Ikelite listens to customer feedback - I think users have been asking for the extra port locks for a while.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, they'd hinted at lock mods and a top mount a few times in posts here, I was really hoping to see it this year at DEMA. Glad to see it's happening, even if I don't take advantage of the upgrade on my existing housing....

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#5 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

:) Restoring my longtime faith in Ikelite and now more seriously considering their housing for my new 7D.

I just hope they will provide use of the handy multi-controller this time. :)
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#6 J-S

J-S

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

:) Restoring my longtime faith in Ikelite and now more seriously considering their housing for my new 7D.

I just hope they will provide use of the handy multi-controller this time. :)

And last but no least,

Ikelite say to me that there is a "new rotation lock feature 5510.09, This rotation lock feature can be added to your existing port body 5510.10" and prevent it from rotating.

Very great news!

#7 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

And last but no least,

Ikelite say to me that there is a "new rotation lock feature 5510.09, This rotation lock feature can be added to your existing port body 5510.10" and prevent it from rotating.

Very great news!

Apparently the new 5510.11 Superwide Port Body, which replaces the 5510.10, has this anti-rotation feature that they told you about.

The combination of four port locks and a non-rotating port body is pretty appealing.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#8 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'm sending in my housing for the upgrade. With the additional servicing offer, the peace of mind in future dives makes it worth the money for me (although in 35+ years of owing an Ikelite SLR housing, I have never had a leak from the port seal yet....knock on wood!.... But I did once have a bad nightmare flood in a wet dream :))
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#9 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

One of the biggest problems I had with Ikelite housings was the flimsy port attachment, well, this should solve that. Now, if only they started making more compact and lighter housings :uwphotog:

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#10 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

Well, this is a sweet deal. I was planning on sending mine in for service anyway, so getting the 4 locks and the mount for a focus light for a pretty reasonable price plus a discount on the service is pretty nice.

thanks Ikelite!

JP

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#11 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:13 AM

This is great news for Ikelite users! I'm going to send mine back for upgrading, even though the shipping from Singapore will probably kill me...

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#12 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

One of the biggest problems I had with Ikelite housings was the flimsy port attachment, well, this should solve that. Now, if only they started making more compact and lighter housings :)

They do, just not for DSLR's. LOL

#13 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Changes to ikelite housing
Well I am honored to be the first to comment on the upgrade. I was told that I could recieve a free upgrade as I purchased my system within the last month. Well I wasted no time in getting it packed and shipped knowing that ikelite was already saying "please allow at least 3 weeks for the upgrade". I figured why not get in early? I shipped it out late on 10-26-09. Well when I arrived home this eve 11-6-09 it was setting on my porch all updated with 4 port locks and th new focus light mount. Eleven days or 9 working days including shipping both ways. Well so much for three weeks . Great job ikelite !!!!!!!!

The only thing that that bothered me was I wasn't home to receive it and the shipper left it on the porch out in the cold!!!!!!!

Well I hope the rest of you are in line....
Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#14 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

I saw it in person at the DEMA booth and was impressed. Looks like the new housing mold has some alignment 'ridges' for all 4 locks. Basically according to the rep I spoke to, the upgrade is a new polycarbonate front...they drill for your control configuration, swap all your controls over to the new shell, discarding/replacing or repairing any that are showing signs of wear or corrosion, same as they would with a typical maintenance. Pretty sweet deal for the price, IMO. I think I may well take advantage of it, regardless of whether I think I might upgrade in the next year or two.

With 4 locks the small dome (that's what they had on the demo) could be drag-rotated if I tried hard enough, but any sensation of 'rocking' on the two pinned points was entirely gone. Which was always more psychological anyway, but I could definitely feel a much greater sense of trust...heck, this way if one or two locks didn't fully engage, as long as they weren't two next to one another, you'd be at worst back where you started from, so in that sense its a LOT of extra safety.

Edited by rtrski, 07 November 2009 - 08:59 PM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#15 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

I saw it in person at the DEMA booth and was impressed. Looks like the new housing mold has some alignment 'ridges' for all 4 locks. Basically according to the rep I spoke to, the upgrade is a new polycarbonate front...they drill for your control configuration, swap all your controls over to the new shell, discarding/replacing or repairing any that are showing signs of wear or corrosion, same as they would with a typical maintenance. Pretty sweet deal for the price, IMO. I think I may well take advantage of it, regardless of whether I think I might upgrade in the next year or two.

With 4 locks the small dome (that's what they had on the demo) could be drag-rotated if I tried hard enough, but any sensation of 'rocking' on the two pinned points was entirely gone. Which was always more psychological anyway, but I could definitely feel a much greater sense of trust...heck, this way if one or two locks didn't fully engage, as long as they weren't two next to one another, you'd be at worst back where you started from, so in that sense its a LOT of extra safety.

Wondering if the low-profile locks used on the wide body dome are now the standard? I'm thinking so -- no reason to keep two types of locks in stock.

I'm gonna send mine in soon, this is a great mod. On my last trip on the Cayman Aggressor, I had a discussion with another guy who had an Aquatica housing. Very nice housing btw, it's a bit lighter than the Ike and the bayonet lock for the dome is particularly nice. We talked about how it was nice to see the o-ring through the Ike's clear shell and the backplate fastens very securely to the housing. Also, he was impressed by the single TTL exposure control for my two strobes since on the Aquatica he has to change exposure on each strobe individually.

We both agreed the Aquatica had a more secure port mounting and it was easier to pull the camera in and out with a zoom lens since on the Aquatica the zoom gear fastens to the lens in it's entirety. So now Ike has a more secure port mount which appears to be as good as the Aquatica and I can live with slightly more inconvenient zoom gear mechanism for the extra $1000 the Aquatica costs.

This is a particularly appropriate time for Ike to do this "for me" since my next trip is to Galapagos and I may be entering the water with my camera out of a Panga.

JP

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#16 spencer!

spencer!

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Changes to ikelite housing
Well I am honored to be the first to comment on the upgrade. I was told that I could recieve a free upgrade as I purchased my system within the last month. Well I wasted no time in getting it packed and shipped knowing that ikelite was already saying "please allow at least 3 weeks for the upgrade". I figured why not get in early? I shipped it out late on 10-26-09. Well when I arrived home this eve 11-6-09 it was setting on my porch all updated with 4 port locks and th new focus light mount. Eleven days or 9 working days including shipping both ways. Well so much for three weeks . Great job ikelite !!!!!!!!

The only thing that that bothered me was I wasn't home to receive it and the shipper left it on the porch out in the cold!!!!!!!

Well I hope the rest of you are in line....

Good to hear!
I was hoping to see a report before i sent mine in:)
O Hai! I iz n UR Oshawn, BlindN UR fiSHS.
blindfishz.com

#17 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

I got mine done and am very happy with the upgrade (despite the frightening postage costs from Aus), BUT the replacement port body came with a very suspect o-ring, shouldn't have made it through quality control, luckily I have spares.
Posted Image

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2