• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 12:09 AM

So I finally got it! Just in time too as I leave for Fiji tomorrow.

I have just managed to get it set up and have done some brief testing in my pool today.

Briefly, my impessions are: Very solidly constructed but a bit fiddly! Getting the camera in and out of the housing and lining up zoom gears is quite a chore. If anyone is interested I can provide more details.

Good news is that my 16-35L lens( note this is the older one - not the 17-35mm one ) works perfectly with the 6 inch dome, extension ring and +4 diopter. I am also delighted with my new Sigma 15mm fisheye lens. It works in the 6 inch dome and the pictures in the pool were oustanding. Taking close ups of my kids in the water showed hardly any discernable fisheye effect and were sharp to the corners. Even tried a few over unders and they came out just fine without any split filters. I think I am going to love this one.

Interestingly my Sea and Sea strobes are purely manual with this housing's flash connections. They do not behave in the " TTL " way that I previously described in the forum when I connected my 10D via the Sea and Sea CX603 housing electronics.

I have also just bought the Sea and Sea YS 90 Auto strobe ( also a topic of previous discusion) but have not had it in the water yet. I did some topside shots and it seems to work when dialing in a simiar F stop to the camera. What didnt work was adding a second slave TTL strobe - it clearly overexposed although it confirmed a "TTL" exposure.

So much remains to be learnt yet...

I will let you know :freak:

#2 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 12:27 AM

Great news Andre,

I'll be interested to see how your Fiji images come out. I've got the Sigma 15mm for my D30 and above water it is lovely. Impatient to try it beneath the surface now.

Also, I'll be very interested to see how you get on with the YS90 Auto. I'm certainly entertaining the idea of getting one for macro, and having it slave to my YS90 DX for wide angle. (probably via DIY fibre link)

Have fun in Fiji...

Martyn
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.

#3 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:27 AM

Cool!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am 99% sure the 16-35L is the newer model. It replaced the 17-35 about 1-2 years ago.

Enjoy your housing. :-D

Bob

#4 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:29 AM

Yup, 16-35 is newer than the 17-35. Maybe confusing it with the newer 17-40L? The progression was:

1. 17-35L (discontinued now)
2. 16-35L f/2.8
3. 17-40L f/4.0

HTH
Tom

#5 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 07:42 AM

Yes indeed you are right. Got it wrong in my rush.

It is the 17-35L that I have and got to work in the housing with +4 diopter. The closest focussing distance is quite a bit closer on the newer 16-35L than on the 17-35 version so possibly no diopters may be required.

Apologies for the confusion