• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:53 AM

Just a reminder about Visions in the Sea which is taking place in Manchester this year on Nov 7th - 8th. a two day photography love-in featuring guest speakers including:

Cathy Church: The techniques and art of shooting close underwater

Paul "Duxy" Duxfield: Getting the best from your Compact Camera

Martin Edge: Edge of the Light

Charlie Hood: The Complete Guide to Wreck Photography

Maria Munn: Capturing the World's Largest Animals with a Compact Camera

Dr Alex Mustard: Mastering your strobes

Jukka Nurminen: Beneath the waves of the Baltic Sea

Mark Koekemoer: Pilots in Gibralter

Peter Scoones: Underwater Wildlife Filming

Shark Trust: The Important work of the Shark Trust

Also on the Sunday afternoon there is a "Teach In" at the Aquatics Centre's 5m pool with experts on-hand to help folks improve their techniques. I have been told by the organisers that there will be a (real) mermaid to photograph. Posted Image

Also on the Saturday night there is a Gala dinner at the Palace Hotel in aid of the Sharks Trust.

City Inn where the talks will be held are currently doing a deal if you quote Visions when booking - I think it is something like £79 for a room (not per person).

For tickets see http://www.visionsinthesea.com/tickets.html
Making up in equipment what she lacks in skill and talent!

www.ecoberry.co.uk

My Flickr page.

#2 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Taking Pictures above and under water.<br />I also spearfish i Dk and Norway.<br />And i am very intersted in life under water.<br /><br />Electrician by proffesion.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

Sounds great.

Sucks that i live in Denmark...:-D

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2106 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

City Inn where the talks will be held are currently doing a deal if you quote Visions when booking - I think it is something like £79 for a room (not per person).

Hhmmmnnn....

.... City Inn didn't seem to know anything about an offer when I booked a room....

.... but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, anyway.

Tim

:uwphotog:

Edited by tdpriest, 30 October 2009 - 02:59 AM.

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:35 AM

Looking forward to seeing everyone too - I am proud to say I am one of very few people who have been to all the Visions Conferences down the years (although I have not seen all the talks - missed Doubilet's for example).

I think that Visions is a great event, the quality of the talks is always high. Most of the speakers understand that this is an event to speak about techniques and show people how they do it (showing good and bad shots), which is really great. At so many events photographers just turn up and show their best shots, with an "aren't I great" narrative. We get a few of these at Visions, but thankfully most speakers get why they are there.

I would definitely go even if I wasn't speaking - you always pick up so many tips and inspiration. At the last one, I asked not to speak so I could go and sit in the audience and get the most out of it (although in the end they made me speak). When you think about how much you spend on UW Photo - the info you get at these events is priceless and only costs £55, I think.

I am really excited to see that Cathy Church is speaking. I have heard her speak several times and she's an excellent communicator about underwater photography. It is also her first time speaking in the UK, AFAIK - which is very cool.

I have prepared my talk now, which I am looking forward to giving (I am on first after lunch - ideal time for a nap) - took the last pictures for it on Wednesday (the backlit john dory, which I put on facebook) - so its done now.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 Elainew

Elainew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:59 AM

Absolutely! I was at the one in London in 2007 and the presentations were excellent. Looking forward to Manchester at the weekend.

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

I really want to go to this its just fitting everything in, and a bit of a drive!
Is the the same speakers both days or are they different?
It all adds up too,
speeches+b&b+meal+pool, anyone want to share a Lift and/or twin room if I went!?

Edited by Scubysnaps, 31 October 2009 - 04:40 AM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#7 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Just a reminder about Visions in the Sea which is taking place in Manchester this year on Nov 7th - 8th. a two day photography love-in featuring guest speakers including:

Looks like an amazing time ... enjoy.
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#8 ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

I really want to go to this its just fitting everything in, and a bit of a drive!
Is the the same speakers both days or are they different?
It all adds up too,
speeches+b&b+meal+pool, anyone want to share a Lift and/or twin room if I went!?

Speakers are different on the different days and the talks go on all day saturday and in the morning on sunday, then off to the pool on sunday afternoon. You can get tickets for just the talks or for the talks plus pool, and then the dinner if you wanted to go.

www.ecoberry.co.uk

My Flickr page.

#9 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Ok! I'm in :uwphotog: see you all there!
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

Update, full program:

Saturday:
09:00 - 09:15: Welcome to Visions
09:15 - 10:00: Cathy Church - Getting Close with Cathy Church
10:10 - 10:55: Paul Duxfield -Simple Solutions for Stunning Shots
10:55 - 11:15: Coffee break
11:15 - 12:00: Martin Edge - Edge of the Light
12:00 - 13:00: Lunch
13:00 - 13:45: Alex Mustard - Mastering your strobes
14:00 - 14:45: Jukka Nurminen - Beneath the waves of the Baltic Sea
14:45 - 15:00 Coffee Break
15:00 - 15:45: Ali Hood - Sharks: Threats and Challenges for a Sustainable Future
16:00 - 16:45: Charlie Hood - The Complete Guide to Wreck Photography
Sunday
09:15 - 09:45: Mark Koekemoer - Pilots in Gibraltar
10:00 - 10:45: Maria Munn - Capturing the World's Largest Animals with a Compact Camera
10:45 - 11:00: Coffee Break + 1min silence
11:00 - 11:45: Peter Scoones - Underwater Wildlife Filming

Then the pool session.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#11 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

What a terrific schedule. CJ and I will see you at the City Inn on Friday evening! Safe drive.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#12 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

What a terrific schedule. CJ and I will see you at the City Inn on Friday evening! Safe drive.

I'll see you Saturday morning Tim,
I guess I'll be on the look out for a Chris Tarrant lookalikey :blink:
Cheers
Paul

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Gutted I cannot make it to see the Eminent Mr Scoones do his talk ... Maybe next time :lol:

Looks like a cracker for you wannabe filmmakers ... Whoops sorry ... Photographers :blink:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#14 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

I really wanted to come, but I finally can't, a big part because of the price (plane, hotel, entrance (which is not even free for the finalists of the competition :/ )). It cost too much everything included.
anyway, I hope some of you will post some photos here ! :blink:

Edited by Autopsea, 05 November 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#15 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2106 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

... not even free for the finalists of the competition :/ ...

What a strange remark!

Last time it looked as if most of the attendees had at least one image on display...

Tim

:blink:

#16 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

What a strange remark!

I'd guess the comment comes from the fact that if you enter the Antibes Festival you get free entry (or by being in Club Prima - which I guess M. Autopsea happily is!). But the difference is that Marseilles (née Antibes) Festival is first and foremost a competition, while Visions is first an foremost a conference (with a competition tagged on).

Visions aims to be an educational weekend for photographers - where the speakers share their secrets. There are occasionally talks at Antibes, but they are very much along the lines of "I'm a photographer, aren't I great". I have never learned anything useful at Antibes in a talk (but have seen some great photos), but I have learned a great deal chatting to other photographers at the bar.

It is a pity that someone doesn't come forward and properly sponsor Visions, it would be great if you could get the entry fee down to the £20 region. But that said, the fact that it is £50+ means that the talks always have a good atmosphere because people who are there really want to improve their photography.

Alex

#17 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

I'd guess the comment comes from the fact that if you enter the Antibes Festival you get free entry (or by being in Club Prima - which I guess M. Autopsea happily is!). But the difference is that Marseilles (née Antibes) Festival is first and foremost a competition, while Visions is first an foremost a conference (with a competition tagged on).

Visions aims to be an educational weekend for photographers - where the speakers share their secrets. There are occasionally talks at Antibes, but they are very much along the lines of "I'm a photographer, aren't I great". I have never learned anything useful at Antibes in a talk (but have seen some great photos), but I have learned a great deal chatting to other photographers at the bar.

It is a pity that someone doesn't come forward and properly sponsor Visions, it would be great if you could get the entry fee down to the £20 region. But that said, the fact that it is £50+ means that the talks always have a good atmosphere because people who are there really want to improve their photography.

Alex

you're probably true :blink: I think the 55£ are totally right, and I'll be happy to pay even 100£ if I could !
sorry if you had the impression I was whining at the event, I was only whining at how poor I am :lol: I'll be there one day.
Enjoy your week end, and thanks for everything you share through forum, website(s) and more !

#18 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2106 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:31 AM

Thanks, Alex, for explaining.

I suspect that even at Steve W's prices free entry would bankrupt those sponsors that there are for Visions...

I know that there aren't that many of us, but I would have thought that the image of underwater photography would have attracted one or more of the camera companies...

... after all, a few years ago Volvo used diving tanks to illustrate the lifestyle choice of estate-car owners!

Tim

:)

#19 ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

Are you making your way up tonight Tim or in the morning? And are you coming to the dinner?

www.ecoberry.co.uk

My Flickr page.

#20 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2106 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

It was, just, wow!!

Tim

:)