25 replies to this topic

#21 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:03 AM

Even if I don't dive regularly, I like to keep my membership active to support DAN and all of the great things that they do. If finances are a little tight, you could just be a member and forgo the insurance portion until you are ready to dive again. I believe that by just being a member, you will still get Alert Diver, but I'm not sure. I did that for my son since he hadn't gone diving in 2 years. DAN member services is very supportive and understanding. When I wanted to renew his insurance again for a trip we are taking in December, they pro-rated his insurance and a family membership until our regular renewal in January. As I said, DAN is very accommodating.

Ellen and Andy - Thanks for your comments about DAN insurance. I agree. Would never dive without it, and unfortunately have had multiple occassions to use it over the years. Actually, a lot of nondivers buy it just for the evacuation insurance. I have a buddy who got hurt in a 4-wheeler accident while on safari in Africa and the DAN insurance expedited and paid for his air evac.

However, to answer Ellen's comment above - no, you don't have to buy insurance to get Alert Diver. It is sent free to all DAN members (North America).
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#22 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Top grade issue; we'll stop by the booth at DEMA to let them know how good it is!

Allan & Barb Jones
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#23 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

Very nice upgrade with glossy environmentally friendly inks/papers and much more photography and interest stories. Henry Ford would love it as he was a soybean mega nut, paints and plastic like parts. In the past I would read on the tread mill, now I will enjoy on the couch with a glass of wine. Great job... I hope DAN insurance carriers don't shrink the coverage as is the case with "Health" Insurance :uwphotog:
Thanks for being involved, DAN is the best and getting better.
Steve

#24 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

...I hope DAN insurance carriers don't shrink the coverage as is the case with "Health" Insurance :(

Well, as their coverage is over and above the usual, we'll probably get taxed for buying it as it'll qualify as some of that "gold plated highfalutin evil rich peeple" policy level that only those who steal from everyone else must be able to get, that will get taxed to pay for everyone else. :uwphotog: One of those congressional laws of unintended consequence.

Political rant over....we now refer you to your regularly scheduled DAN magazine compliment thread. Move along here, nothing to see....

Edited by rtrski, 01 November 2009 - 09:59 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#25 Joe Sski

Joe Sski

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

It is fabulous! I must admit that I would only skim the magazine when it arrived, then send it on to the recycling bin. My only concern is that the magazine not overtake the overall mission of DAN.

#26 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

I think its marvelous!
Will truly be looking foward to them now.
Congratulations!

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com