• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Is there such a thing!? if you know of one, please let me know :uwphotog:
I was told a tamrac might be good, but not sure of them about my full requisite

Cheers
Woody :(

PS the camera body and 1 other lens wil go round my neck, so will not be in the bag
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#2 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Are you looking for a roller or a carry on backpack?? I highly suggest either the Think Tank Airport Acceleration for a backpack, or the Airport International as a roller. They are inconspicuous, fit everything, and VERy high quality. After Eric's posts over a year ago on the Airport Acceleration, I have ditched hard cases for SLR systems and never looked back!!

If you like to travel to destinations where you are required to take turbo props I suggest the Airport Acceleration. There is a 10LB difference to the roller, and I find often times they will weigh the rollers but not the backpacks!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:21 AM

yes a carry on backpack, thank you Mike, will have a look at that one :uwphotog:
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#4 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:42 AM

I've given up trying to get it all in one bag. I use a Lowepro Pro Roller 1 and a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. Both will fit in the overheads of small planes and they work well together. If I am not taking a laptop the Think Tank gets switched for a Lowepro Dryzone Rover. The Rover is more versatile at my destination. However there is no perfect bag for all occasions.

#5 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Although there is no perfect bag for all occasions, Ive found that the Airport Acceleration works for about 90% of occasions. There are times I want more back ups, or additional lenses and I then take the Urban Disguise 60 as well.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#6 cjmoranuk

cjmoranuk

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Paul, the big problem for us in the UK if we are travelling to the Red Sea is the carriers are now enforcing the 5kg hand luggage restriction and are weighing outward and return. This now means having to put the majority of our rig in the hold in a proper hard case. I was able to book an extra 20kgs ('watersport bag') with Thomson Fly for about 60 out and back which was additional to the 20kgs (standard allowance) plus 5kgs (diver allowance plus 5 kgs (carry-on). See you at Visions...
Sea & Sea DX 8000G, Sea & Sea glass and a pair of YS-25 strobes

#7 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Yes CJ, you're right, but if I have to put any in the main hold because it goes over the hand luggage limit, I can put them into my case wrapped in clothes and padding, but generally I would like them all in one bag, see you Saturday.
For this Saturday I will try cutting a yoga mat up for packing, and packing it all in one of my many rucksacks, and see how that goes
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#8 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I use an Akona roller/backpack carry-on, but the most I can get into it is one D300 body, 60mm lens, 60mm port, housing, one strobe with arm and tray and the chargers for the camera battery and strobe. That's still quite a bit of stuff and along with my laptop weighs a touch over 30 pounds.

There is no way you can fit the 8" dome in your carry-on with your other gear, it's just too big. I bought a tupperware cake container with lid (and o-rings!) and it goes in my luggage. That thing is tough, they would literally have to crush my baggage to damage the dome.

I Just ensure I have enough camera gear to get me by if my luggage gets lost and I have insurance to cover my entire setup.

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 01 November 2009 - 04:41 PM.

Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#9 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

I use ThinkTank for all my Rollers. I used to use the LowePro CompuTreker Plus AW as a backpack options. Never had any issues with either.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -