• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Afrodiver

Afrodiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Ben Horton, a National Geographic Young Explorer has worked extensively with sharks and conservation over the years. Cocos Island and the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica are two extremely hard hit fishing areas for sharks where much of his research and work has occurred. They are amazing areas to see. He is trying to mount a new expedition to Rio Sereina where Bull sharks meet with Crocodiles at feeding time, in order to show their relationship and help preserve this incredible event for future generations. Right now on National Geographics web site he is in a race to get a grant and you can help him by giving a vote up to once a day in support of his efforts. Please check it out and help him win!!

Ben Horton - National Geographic Young Exlorer

#2 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Can't vote, not fr the US... Gd luck!
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, I can't vote from here in the UK either. Strangely for an international magazine, NG seems to think the world does not exist if you do not possess a US zip code...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:07 AM

Now that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, basing decisions about granting scientific expeditions on public voting... As a scientist this just boggles my mind, the only thing that should be taken into consideration when trying to decide if you will fund an expedition is scientific merit. I had two grants from Nat Geo before (one to Sao Tome in West Africa and another to Cocos Keeling Indian Ocean), but that never happened to me, I think my proposals weren't charismatic enough.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#5 ebonites

ebonites

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Now that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, basing decisions about granting scientific expeditions on public voting... As a scientist this just boggles my mind, the only thing that should be taken into consideration when trying to decide if you will fund an expedition is scientific merit. I had two grants from Nat Geo before (one to Sao Tome in West Africa and another to Cocos Keeling Indian Ocean), but that never happened to me, I think my proposals weren't charismatic enough.

News Corporation / Fox Entertainment Group has a majority ownership of National Geographic Ventures (the taxable arm of the Society) and does most of the marketing and distribution. I believe any such association can result in tainting their environmental and educational initiatives, particularly with the National Geographic Channel.

#6 Benhorton83

Benhorton83

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Adventure, Exploration, Oceans, Art

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Haha, so it looks like my brother has been doing some promoting for me!

It's true there are better ways to go about it, but remember NG needs to MAKE
money too, not just give it away to grantees like us. And this is great promotion
for causes that go unnoticed by the general public.

On the plus side, when the project does happen, there's a very good chance we'll get this place
made into a Marine Reserve. I'm going to do my project either way, I just won't have the
funding I would like to have if I don't "win."

#7 Benhorton83

Benhorton83

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Adventure, Exploration, Oceans, Art

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention!

It's also a great way to gauge public interest.

#8 Afrodiver

Afrodiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for trying to Vote for Ben anyway!

#9 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:18 AM

I feel sad that I have to choose between elephants and sharks :)

What is this world coming to :)