5 replies to this topic

#1 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am sure something like this exists already but not sure of what exactly is out there and what they are called! :)
I already have a Buffalo portable external 1TB wired hard drive for storing my photos on, but what I would like is a smaller standalone device whereby I can just stick the SD card in after I have transferred all my photos onto my hard drive, whereby it will sap all the files from the card and format it, at the same time keeping all the data safe as a back up, and leave me a clean SD card ready to use again. I can then at a later date transfer all this data onto my Buffalo NAS at home
I'm sure the thread Drew has up here is something similar but not sure.
Please could someone let me know what options there are out there for this?

I found this on Amazon, I think this would work? I=-But is there anything more simple or smaller maybe without the picture viewer

Cheers
Woody

Edited by Scubysnaps, 18 November 2009 - 11:48 PM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

Hi Paul,

This looks like a good product. Does it have a picture viewer? If it does, you may like to make sure it supports RAW. Some of these devices don't.

I like the Epson picture viewers and CJ and I still use a couple of the discontined P-2000s. They only have 60gb drives but with an excellent viewer it allows us to delete and we only retain 'keepers' so the relatively small drive is usually quite sufficient. The Epsons are RAW capable.

Our primary travel storage is on Dell 10" notebook or if in the UK a full size laptop and we backup daily to 250 gb 2.5" HDDs in enclosures. The Epsons have now become secondary but are quite fun to have in your pocket to be able share the day's photos with other folk.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

hmmm Thanks Tim, it seems I've stumbled on the right thing straight away! I thought it had pictures of your pictures but I think the screen is just for info...looking at other "photo storage" devices on eBay this sems to be the one...anyone got one or something similar for the money or less?

I cant find any onfo if it supports RAW, but if its just storing the file, bot sisplaying it, I dont think it would matter would it, good thing about Amazon tho, if its not what I want I get full refund.
Googled ex-pro and got nothing relevant too, bit strange

Edited by Scubysnaps, 19 November 2009 - 01:10 AM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

Not sure if you mean something like the Colorspace. I have one of the Older Ones, someone recommened it here awhile ago to me, and it is great. Got one without a hard drive and istalled my own, easy to do.

It can erase cards if you want, also has data recovery and other features. I use it with alll my digital cameras (I have some SD and CF cards) and it does both of them fine. Have used it with the Canon 5D Mark II with no problems, copies the RAW Files and movie files taken with that camera, my G9, my 30D and 40D. My guess it probably will work with whatever you are hsotting...

#5 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thanks TRD, It seems nowhere in the UK sell those, looking at the price on B&H its a little over my budget, I think the ex-pro is the most popular on Amazon so I will look into that one a bit further
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Feedback from the supplier after all my questions, seems pretty flawless, any doubts anyone? starting from the bottom up

Begin forwarded message:

From: ExpressPro <tg2jwb7p2wh3t8n@marketplace.amazon.co.uk>
Date: 20 November 2009 13:27:46 GMT
To: Paul <paulswoodburn@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Product details enquiry from Amazon customer Paul
Reply-To: ExpressPro <tg2jwb7p2wh3t8n@marketplace.amazon.co.uk>

Hello from Amazon.co.uk,

A Marketplace seller on Amazon.co.uk has sent you a message. If you need to respond to the sender, you can reply to this e-mail directly.

Important Notice: Amazon.co.uk will retain copies of all e-mails sent and received using this service, including this message. By using this service, you consent to this action.
Hi

It's classed as a mass storage device an will work with both.

Regards,

Steve Sheasby

Sales - Amazon Ex-Pro

PO BOX 806 | Stockton-on-Tees | Cleveland | TS19 1EP

Tel: +44 (0) 8455 390128

Fax: +44 (0) 8704 299467

http://www.amazon.co...=A15TW43BF9Y9WW

Paul wrote:
Thanks Steve, I forgot to ask if it will work on the latest Apple software and also Vista?
It's a shame there is no option to format the card, but I guess I can manage in the way you say.

Kind regards
Paul

On 20 Nov 2009, at 11:27, ExpressPro <[e-mail address removed]> wrote:

Hi,

1. Will it transfer a folder of files?
Yes, when a card is inserted the unit creates consecutive number folder and copies the entire contents of the inserted media to the folder.

2. If it does and there was a folder named the same would it write over it or would it call it something else (eg new folder(2))?
No, even if you inserted the same card again, it would create a new number folder and copy the exact same data again.

3. Can it be used as a normal external hard drive with a PC too?
Yes, it can be used as a USB2.0 Drive External and appears as the next logical drive in Windows.

4. Can it format the SD card once it's transferred all the data off the card?
No, you need to this from your camera as a safe guard these type of devices will not erase or format data on media cards (Just incase you make a mistake!).

Regards,

Steve Sheasby

Sales - Amazon Ex-Pro

Paul wrote:
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I have a few more questions.

1. Will it transfer a folder of files?

2. If it does and there was a folder named the same would it write over it or would it call it something else (eg new folder(2))?

3. Can it be used as a normal external hard drive with a PC too?

4. Can it format the SD card once it's transferred all the data off the card?

Kind regards
Paul

On 20 Nov 2009, at 00:34, ExpressPro <[e-mail address removed]> wrote:

Hi

All the P2S model's differ only in size of Hard Drive installed within them (From ZERO - shell only - install you own requiring technical expertise) to 160gb -500gb Pre-installed drives, the larger the hard drive size the more data/pictures which can be stored.

These units copy any files from any inserted card, therefore been a raw file would make no difference, it would even copy a word file if there was one on your memory card.

Regards,

Steve Sheasby

Sales - Amazon Ex-Pro

Paul wrote:
Hello from Amazon.co.uk,

A buyer has sent you a message regarding an order or an item from your store on Amazon.co.uk. If you need to respond to the sender, you can reply to this e-mail.

Important Notice: Amazon.co.uk will retain copies of all e-mails sent and received using this service, including this message. By using this service, you consent to this action.

-------------- Begin message --------------------

Ex-Pro Picture 2 Drive

Hi,
I am considering buying the above item, please could you explain the different models you have available and if they accept RAW image files

Kind regards
Paul

-------------- End message -----------------------

Amazon.co.uk will never e-mail you and ask you to disclose or verify your Amazon.co.uk password, credit card or bank account details. If you receive a suspicious e-mail with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link--instead report the e-mail to Amazon.co.uk for investigation. Go to amazon.co.uk/phish to find out more.

Amazon.co.uk uses filtering technology to protect buyers and sellers and to identify possible fraud. Messages that fail this filtering - even if they are not fraudulent - will not be transmitted.

Only ship to the address shown in your seller account. Do not honour buyer requests to ship orders to any address other than the one provided by Amazon.co.uk. Do not accept any payment method other than Amazon Payments (checkout via our Shopping Cart or 1-Click). Payment for the sale may be withheld if these guidelines are not followed.

Important: Amazon.co.uk's A-to-Z Guarantee only covers third-party purchases paid for through our Amazon Payments system (via our Shopping Cart or 1-Click). Our Guarantee does not cover any payments that occur off Amazon.co.uk including wire transfers, money orders, cash, check, or off-site credit card transactions.

Amazon.co.uk will never e-mail you and ask you to disclose or verify your Amazon.co.uk password, credit card or bank account details. If you receive a suspicious e-mail with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link--instead report the e-mail to Amazon.co.uk for investigation. Go to amazon.co.uk/phish to find out more.

Amazon.co.uk uses filtering technology to protect buyers and sellers and to identify possible fraud. Messages that fail this filtering - even if they are not fraudulent - will not be transmitted.

[commMgrTok:A2FO8OQTYG4XIH]
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>