• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

does anyone have a pdf manual for an inon z240 type 4? I want to buy this strobe but I would like to read the manual first.

BTW, I have a g11 camera, any issues with the strobe and G11?

#2 01sugar2

01sugar2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:- Cycling (Mountain Bike and Road)<br />- Photography<br />- Scuba Diving<br />- Soccer

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

http://www.inon.jp/p...z240_type4.html

That's the fastest reply that I can provide. My battery is about to die and I'm currently on board a plane with "not the fastest in the world" WiFi access. ;) I hope this helps at least some!

Dustin

#3 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

thanks, but i been to the inon site many times, where/is a manual for the z240? The site is confusing. It takes a while to find things on their site.

#4 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

Hi : )
By clicking on the different options on the top of the z240 page, you should be able to get all informations you need. for exemple, on the "Detail" page pour have a draw with all functions.

If it's not enough, then what do you want to know about these strobes? ;)

#5 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

There are 3 reasons why i want the manual:
1. I have a G11, i want to know if there are any limitations of the camera that will not work with the z240;
-auto TTl,
-s-ttl,
-focus light does not going off when taking picture. I have a z220 and i know the lazer does not go off when taking picture.
-any limitions in manual mode with the g11
-preflash mode on the g11 or the focus light on the g11 not working properly with the strobe.

2. When going on trips, i would like to have the manual on my laptop.

3. I am just a electronics control freak and want to read it prior to spending a grand :-).

thanks!!

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

There are 3 reasons why i want the manual:
1. I have a G11, i want to know if there are any limitations of the camera that will not work with the z240;
-auto TTl,
-s-ttl,
-focus light does not going off when taking picture. I have a z220 and i know the lazer does not go off when taking picture.
-any limitions in manual mode with the g11
-preflash mode on the g11 or the focus light on the g11 not working properly with the strobe.

2. When going on trips, i would like to have the manual on my laptop.

3. I am just a electronics control freak and want to read it prior to spending a grand :-).

thanks!!

I would be quite surprised if the manual addresses the G11 in any way. The website doesn't list the g11 yet, only the G10. I would also guess it would depend a bit on which housing you are using and what electronics are in the housing. Try Reef photo, they are your best bet to have a manual. I have the manual for the Type 3 but not the type 4.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

I would be quite surprised if the manual addresses the G11 in any way. The website doesn't list the g11 yet, only the G10. I would also guess it would depend a bit on which housing you are using and what electronics are in the housing. Try Reef photo, they are your best bet to have a manual. I have the manual for the Type 3 but not the type 4.
Bill

I do not expect the manual to say "hey marc, this is how your camera works" but i can infer some issues.

I am about to pull the plug and buy the strobe at reef photo, just wanted to read the manual first.

#8 01sugar2

01sugar2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:- Cycling (Mountain Bike and Road)<br />- Photography<br />- Scuba Diving<br />- Soccer

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

My Type 4 Z240 will be in my hands on Dec. 1st, and I ordered it from Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale. I was on vacation last week and visiting in Reef's area, so I decided to pay them a visit. Richard took one look at my setup and brought out a sync cable and strobe that matched my bulkheads. To save on the sales tax, I had it all shipped back home, which is why I don't have it yet. HOWEVER, they are one of only a few distributors of Inon strobes in the USA. If they know what housing you're going to have, I'm pretty sure that they can give you a yea or nay fairly quickly on the Z240. As for the PDF, if needed, I should be able to produce a PDF manual once my paper version comes in if one can't be located between now and mid next week.

Dustin

#9 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

My Type 4 Z240 will be in my hands on Dec. 1st, and I ordered it from Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale. I was on vacation last week and visiting in Reef's area, so I decided to pay them a visit. Richard took one look at my setup and brought out a sync cable and strobe that matched my bulkheads. To save on the sales tax, I had it all shipped back home, which is why I don't have it yet. HOWEVER, they are one of only a few distributors of Inon strobes in the USA. If they know what housing you're going to have, I'm pretty sure that they can give you a yea or nay fairly quickly on the Z240. As for the PDF, if needed, I should be able to produce a PDF manual once my paper version comes in if one can't be located between now and mid next week.

Dustin

thank you very much. I will probable have the bought the strobe by then. :-) I am amazed that the manual is not on www.inon.co.jp

i too am buying the strobe from Ryan at Reef photo. We have been going back and forth through emails, and he has been very helpfull.

BTW, i have the g11 oem case. So i expect the biggest limitation with the strobe would be e-ttl, but this is the reason i am going with the inon for s-ttl. I would like to know how the G11 af assit beam would work. I never used it underwater, but my guess the modeling light would help that. Question would be; do i turn off af assist lamp?

#10 01sugar2

01sugar2

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

Two main manuals came with the strobe; It came in a day early! Both for the Z240 Type4 model, and both even have my exact serial # stamped on the back of each book. Anyhow, one manual is for the Basic Operation labeled as Optical Connection "S-TTL" Simple Shooting and the other is the Advanced Operation optical connection (advanced), electrical connection. The Basic manual is 55 pages and the Advanced is 83. I may have to copy them one manual at a time, but I can get you a copy of them in PDF if you would like. PM me your email addy and I'll see if I can't get that off to you tomorrow sometime. :wacko:

Dustin

#11 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

... one manual is for the Basic Operation labeled as Optical Connection "S-TTL" Simple Shooting and the other is the Advanced Operation optical connection (advanced), electrical connection...

I predict that you will become confused, frustrated and despondent when you open the manuals. Actually, the only crucial things are unchanged, as far as I know:

1) the variable power control goes in one direction in "manual" mode, and the opposite in "TTL"

2) the small button that controls the optical inhibition of the on-camera strobe in "manual" mode has to be set for the particular camera in use (there should be a set of complicated tables with the manuals)

3) electronic cables can only be used with manual strobe modes, but optical converters can restore TTL function

4) the strobe's sTTL mode is triggered by optical connection to the camera's "pop-up" strobe

5) "Eneloop" type batteries are less likely to overheat etc

Tim

:wacko:

#12 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

From reading the manuals and saying "wow, this is complicated", I bought the strobe last night

#13 crabtree

crabtree

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Two main manuals came with the strobe; It came in a day early! Both for the Z240 Type4 model, and both even have my exact serial # stamped on the back of each book. Anyhow, one manual is for the Basic Operation labeled as Optical Connection "S-TTL" Simple Shooting and the other is the Advanced Operation optical connection (advanced), electrical connection. The Basic manual is 55 pages and the Advanced is 83. I may have to copy them one manual at a time, but I can get you a copy of them in PDF if you would like. PM me your email addy and I'll see if I can't get that off to you tomorrow sometime. :)

Dustin

Hi Dustin, any chance you can send me your scanned PDFs for the two manuals? I bought mine from Japan and am trying to get my hands on the English manuals. Many thanks.

#14 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

I do not expect the manual to say "hey marc, this is how your camera works" but i can infer some issues.

That is dead certain!!! I got a brain melt down reading the manuals, and have since simply shot with lowtech manual settings. However, the good news is that manual settings on the Inons are easy and very useful.

/bent C
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#15 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

I found this article in the Reef Photo & Video Knowledge Base much more value than the manuals:

http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=7

Edited by Gudge, 06 June 2011 - 11:46 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#16 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Sorry to resurrect this, but I REALLY want the z240 type 4 manual. I have questions which are not answered by the reefphoto article.

Thanks, Doug

#17 jmauricio

jmauricio

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

Sorry to resurrect this, but I REALLY want the z240 type 4 manual. I have questions which are not answered by the reefphoto article.

Thanks, Doug

pm me with your email address.

#18 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

I guess the OP has now figured out that the Inon strobe manuals are horrible and near completely worthless. There is a Reef (I think) article out there that is much clearer about what the various dials do and what settings you want to use for various configurations. Here it is: http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=7 That one page is so much more helpful than the word salad Inon puts out.

diverdoug, what questions do you have? May be best just to put them out here.

#19 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the email jmauricio!

Questions are

1.Maximum number of full dump flashes before a rest period required.  (the ys-d1 requires a 10 minutes rest after 10 full power flashes)

2. When switching to manual strobe trigger with no preflash, do I set the AAC button to single, or does it automatically sense that there is no preflash

3. When set in manual, is it possible to get a full power flash, or must you switch the left hand dial to full? (I think you can only go to 1/2 ev below full when in manual)

4.When in TTL, and adjusting exposure compensation,  do you have to keep the right hand dial nin the "ABC" range, or can you continue to go more negative past "C"?

5. function of the front flash sensing compensation loop on the front of the camera.

#20 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

I can answer a few:

1. Never heard of this, never experienced it. I've certainly taken 10 full-dump shots within the space of a minute.

3. Correct, you must move the dial to full