• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nitrogen Jones

Nitrogen Jones

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Just before the third dive of the first day of an 15 day liveaboard, the dive guide noticed the O-ring on my Inon Z220 was broken and the ends were protruding from under the cap. After opening the battery compartment, the inside was damp with brown battery goo, but not dripping wet. At first I thought it was the result of a flood, but after cleaning the compartment, rinsing with a bit of fresh water, and drying the strobe continued to function. I finally reached the conclusion that one the brand new Energizer 2450 mAH batteries exploded sometimes between the second and third dive. Inspection of the batteries showed that the positive terminal of one of them was indeed loosely attached. Fortunately the strobe continued to function for the rest of the trip.

Has anyone else experience this type of failure?

How corrosive are the residues form the exploded battery? I cannot clean out every last bit of it.

:wacko:
I'm jonesing for nitrogen...

#2 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

How corrosive are the residues form the exploded battery? I cannot clean out every last bit of it.

Bad joss dude. Very corrosive!
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#3 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

IIRC, with Inon strobes the battery compartment is separate from the strobe, so it should be safe to rinse the compartment thoroughly with clean fresh water to get the corrosives out. I would do this asap before the acid eats into something non-fixable.

And then buy good, high quality Eneloop batteries instead of cheap Energizers. Inon recommends Eneloops for all of it's new strobes anyway.

#4 crawdad

crawdad

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

Eneloop.
Canon S90, FIX90, dual Inon D2000 strobes, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome, Fisheye UWL-04, DIY tray, adapter

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

http://www.uwphotogr...guide.com/forum

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2054 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

This is exactly what happens with a leak; it was a leak.

Inon's are recoverable, but you need to clean off the terminals with emery paper to get a good contact back.

Tim

#6 Nitrogen Jones

Nitrogen Jones

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

Tim,

Are you saying that I did have a small flood (leak) which resulted in the exploded battery?
I'm jonesing for nitrogen...

#7 Natalie_S

Natalie_S

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, travel

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

I had the same thing happen with a set of Energizer rechargeables in one of my Sea & Sea strobes. I cleaned out the battery compartment and the contacts and it works fine. I also switched all my batteries to Eneloops.
Nikon D300 in Sea & Sea housing, 10.5 mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 100 mm, SubSee diopter, Woody's diopter, 2x YS-110 strobes, BossK Big Blue 170 focus light.

Underwater photos

Portraits and Fashion

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2054 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:37 AM

Tim,

Are you saying that I did have a small flood (leak) which resulted in the exploded battery?

Yup!

Tim