15 replies to this topic

#1 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

I was in Coco island early november, and I made some UW pictures.

All the shots are my flickr photo stream: http://www.flickr.co...57622702127621/

A small selection.

Hammerheads
Posted Image

School of Jacks
Posted Image

Eagle rays and Two red sea stars
Posted Image

Scrawled filefish
Posted Image

Sunrise
Posted Image

Sunrise 2
Posted Image

Turtle
Posted Image

Morey Eel
Posted Image

Whitetips
Posted Image

Hammerhead on Dirty Rock
Posted Image

Damien

Edited by Bigeye Bubblefish, 02 December 2009 - 04:48 PM.

Nikon D90 / Aquatica Housing / Aquatica 8" dome / Tokina 10-17mm / Sigma 17-70mm / ULCS Arms / Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160
Find me on flickr

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

Really enjoyed your pics. Hoping a trip report can follow.
Were you using your 10-17 or 17-70 more often?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Really enjoyed your pics. Hoping a trip report can follow.
Were you using your 10-17 or 17-70 more often?

Thank you very much. I do have a trip report, but it is in french. If anyone can help me to translate it into a decent english, I am more than happy to post it here on wetpixel.

I purchased the 17-70 following Alex M. advice, before going to Coco. This is a good lens, but it focuses slowly. For this reason, I've spent 95% of the dives with the Tokina 10-17.
The scrawled fish is shot with the Sigma 10-17.

PURA VIDA Costa Rica.

Damien
Nikon D90 / Aquatica Housing / Aquatica 8" dome / Tokina 10-17mm / Sigma 17-70mm / ULCS Arms / Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160
Find me on flickr

#4 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hi Damien, very nice photos. Your english is very good, I wouldn't be concerned translating your trip report.
Mike

#5 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

really like the rays and stars shot

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#6 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Pura Vida Damien. Love the ray shot with the sea stars. I never think of doing something like that. Can you believe that I went to Cocos in July, wrote the trip report on the flight home, and still haven't posted it? I have to still work on more photos. Call me the most excellent procrastinator. :wacko:
Ellen B.

#7 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Pura Vida Damien. Love the ray shot with the sea stars. I never think of doing something like that. Can you believe that I went to Cocos in July, wrote the trip report on the flight home, and still haven't posted it? I have to still work on more photos. Call me the most excellent procrastinator. :wacko:

Pura Vida Ellen,

Thank you for your nice comments about about the rays and the sea stars. The shot was taken on Dos Amigo Grande, in the cave.

What about your trip report?
And your pictures...

You should post them. There must be great stuff to read and watch.

Damien
Find me on flickr

#8 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

You should post them. There must be great stuff to read and watch.

Damien

I will. I'm going to Bonaire tomorrow so I won't have much time before then. But I vow to get it done by the end of 2009 :wacko:
Ellen B.

#9 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Call me the most excellent procrastinator.

I will try and remember to do that tomorrow.
:wacko:

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#10 matt215

matt215

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

great shots!!! although i would not have taken that shot of the dive master juan manuel ; ). were the hammerheads there in BIG schools? any whalesharks or silver tips? what were your camera settings?
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#11 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

great shots!!! although i would not have taken that shot of the dive master juan manuel ; ). were the hammerheads there in BIG schools? any whalesharks or silver tips? what were your camera settings?

Thank you Matt.

Look at Juan Manuel. He is carrying a map of Alcyone.
There is a story behind the name of that dive site, and surprisingly, it is linked to my family.
In 1987, JJ Cousteau went to Coco with his new boat "Alcyone". They discovered that new sea mount with big schools of hammerheads. They found it so incredible that they named this site "Alcyone".
My grand-father was a naval architect, and he is the designer and idea man of the "Alcyone". This picture of Juan Manuel is then IMPORTANT to me :wacko: .

The hammerheads were in BIG school on Alcyone. We had hundreds below our fins on the first dive, while we were drifting during deco stops. On the second dive, few of them. On the last dive the were hundreds, from the bottom until the surface, passing at few meters only.
No pictures posted as they are not looking good.

We have seen all sharks, whitetips in big schools (almost on every dive, but the biggest school was on manuelita at night), hammerheads (Alcyone, Manuelita, Dirty Rock, Punta Maria, Dos Amigos, etc...), silvertips (silverado), blacktips, galapagos (Punta Maria, Dirty Rock, Alcyone), silkies, tigers (Manuelita), etc... but no whaleshark.

My camera settings???
Do you mean for each shot speed, aperture, ISO, etc... or you want to know what was my gear?

Damien
Find me on flickr

#12 matt215

matt215

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

I have heard that story about the discovery of alcyone. very cool that you have a personal connection to it.

I am interested in your camera settings because the colors in your pictures are tres bien! Ils sont magnifique. The colors are dark, saturated, and "rich". The blue water is beautiful. so, i am interested in your camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso) and how you produced the dark colors. I have heard that a higher aperture setting (small opening) will make the background blues darker. it seems to me that if you under-expose the shot and use strobes to light the foreground, you'll get this effect. anyway, good job!
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#13 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I have heard that story about the discovery of alcyone. very cool that you have a personal connection to it.

I am interested in your camera settings because the colors in your pictures are tres bien! Ils sont magnifique. The colors are dark, saturated, and "rich". The blue water is beautiful. so, i am interested in your camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso) and how you produced the dark colors. I have heard that a higher aperture setting (small opening) will make the background blues darker. it seems to me that if you under-expose the shot and use strobes to light the foreground, you'll get this effect. anyway, good job!

Matt,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about the dark and saturated colors of my pictures. I received many comments saying the opposite, too dark, too blue, too satured, but I don't care, as this is the way I like the BLUE :wacko: .
I am using the following path:

Usually you have to set the exposure based on the spot metering on the water column.
I do it, but I underexpose my picture using a higher aperture (small opening). I have no concerns to go between f/14, f/16 or even f/20 depending of the amount of light available.
For the shutter speed, i rarely go under 1/60.
ISO: this is the trick, I compensate under exposure with higher ISO (250, 320, 400). New bodies provide high quality shots even with high ISO.

For the blue itself, it will depend of your color calibration on your camera.
On Nikon, I choose "landscape". I manually change the landscape settings on my D90 body: Accentuation is +2 grades, Contrast +2 grades, Saturation as is, Hue as is and luminosity +1.

Then, for my strobes, I use them full speed.

You can visit my photostream on flickr, www.flickr.com/photos/bigeyebubblefish for each image that you like, click on "more details" on the right side of the page, you will access EXIF with all infos about the shot.

Damien
Find me on flickr

#14 silvernt15

silvernt15

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

Damien - nice photos. Great to know about the name Alcyone. After diving Alcyone and declaring it in my dive log as "my best dive ever", I started my own company and named it Alcyone.

#15 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Damien - nice photos. Great to know about the name Alcyone. After diving Alcyone and declaring it in my dive log as "my best dive ever", I started my own company and named it Alcyone.

I wish you all the best with your new company. Alcyone, on its way to success.
Find me on flickr

#16 silvernt15

silvernt15

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Ha Ha - thanks Damien! I hope so!