13 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hey Crew,

I recieved an email through FLICKR a few months ago. The email was from someone claiming to be the editor of a chinese lifestyle magazine and was asking for free photos. I deleted the email and ruled it out as a fake from someone trying to score
free photos. The emailer supplied no link to a website or other information so I figured it was fake.

A few weeks later I recieved the same email to my proper email account. I did a bit of googling and realized I was talking to the editor of one of China's biggest lifestyle magazines "TECHMAG".

I now have a four page spread and interview - the PDF of the final mag arrived today. It looks great!!!

The moral of the story - Flickr rules :wacko:

If only I can read what they wrote about me.......................

Cheers

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

That's Awesome, congrats! I've made some great connections through Flickr myself.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

WOHOO - Congrats Cal! :wacko:
Is there anywhere we can take a look at the pdf of the article ( not that I can read chinese or anything :goodpost: )

Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Congrats, Cal. Let us know when you get the money, it is always good to know about reliable magazines! If only they had a seller rating like on ebay!

Ale

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:13 AM

Good work mate!
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#6 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

Nice job Cal. Congratulations!
Mike

#7 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

Clarification - did you negotiate upwards from "free" to a page rate/decent repro fee? And did they seek web rights too?

Edited by decosnapper, 03 December 2009 - 11:22 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#8 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Thanks guys!

The editor said upfront that it was free and they would not pay for photos. They do not have webrights to the images. One time rights for the publication. I figured it was still a great deal for me due to the print number (im becoming slightly obbessed with print numbers). Basically it was just free advertising fo me.

and its pretty cool to see your self interviewed in another language!

Cal

#9 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

The editor said upfront that it was free and they would not pay for photos. They do not have webrights to the images. One time rights for the publication. I figured it was still a great deal for me due to the print number (im becoming slightly obbessed with print numbers). Basically it was just free advertising fo me.

There is much debate about the benefits of giving images away to magazines. I do no do so for one reason; If its worth publishing, it's worth paying for. The magazine needs unique, fresh content to keep the readers coming back and only by having a high circulation can they maintain their advertising rates and keep their shareholder dividend flowing. If the creative involved in driving magazine sales is unrewarded then is this morally acceptable? Not in my world. You can bet your last buck that the editor did not work for free.......

There is more I could write, but most of it was covered in UWP mag this month - see www.uwpmag.com for the download.

Cal - your work is worth MUCH more than free. I am not surprised that the editor contacted you twice.....but I am surprised you gave it away for nothing. When a magazine runs a feature of mine, or indeed anyone who charges, we get a free advert AND money. And there are editors who pay, but they do not need to ask for free images. Those who what/need the money beat a path to their door.

If you are serious about the business of photography (or indeed any business) forget the print numbers and think about the bank account.

Please take this posting in good spirit. It is after all your work and you are at liberty to do with it as you see fit.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#10 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thanks Deco,

I appreciate that. I'm still in the twilight zone where I get a bit of interest in my work but not enough that I can dismiss a client and not worry about it. I probably should have asked for some form of compensation but I guess its just getting the confidence up to ask without worrying about losing the deal.

Cheers

Cal

#11 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Deco,

I appreciate that. I'm still in the twilight zone where I get a bit of interest in my work but not enough that I can dismiss a client and not worry about it. I probably should have asked for some form of compensation but I guess its just getting the confidence up to ask without worrying about losing the deal.

Cheers

Cal

The first step to being a Pro is to act and think like one.....the images you create - and they are stunning - actually have zero dollar value to you. By this I mean you can't fill up your car or buy food directly with them, not in my world anyway. But to the client, publisher, newspaper, ad agency or whatever your images have a massive benefit and true dollar value - this is where images get converted to a medium the petrol station and supermarket understands and trades with.

Trust me, you are not in the twilight zone. Even if you were, the client must pay. From day one I charged and made sure the invoices were settled. Sure, I made mistakes - everyone does - but the rule of "never for free" has, with a very very very few exceptions, ensured cashflow has remained positive.

Ignore anyone who says "great for your profile" or "we pay next time". Refuse to deal with anyone who wants your work for free. I do get cheap or free requests and it feels great to turn them down. Be confident Cal, your work has higher value than nothing and remember you won't win every deal if you charge. Be prepared to lose some "clients" if they baulk at paying. Truth is, they are only clients when they respect your endeavors and pay cash like the rest of the planet.

If it's worth publishing, it's worth paying for.

And good luck. If you need specific advice, just PM me.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#12 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Deco!

Thats great advice

Cheers

Cal

#13 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

If only I can read what they wrote about me.......................

He, he........ could change your whole attitude I guess. :)

Congrats Cal.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#14 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Cheers Loftus,

I meant to change the title but it was actually six pages ;)