Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:20 AM

I heard this rig weighs around 50 pounds ready to dive! Could that be possible? Check out that viewfinder!
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:20 PM

What's a good tripod to go with this?
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#4 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 04:53 AM

Uh, I don't think my wife would let me take all that luggage on one trip. Imagine that, one camera, no strobes, and you're already at or over your checked luggage maximum....

#5 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:16 AM

Uh, I don't think my wife would let me take all that luggage on one trip. Imagine that, one camera, no strobes, and you're already at or over your checked luggage maximum....

You would look so good, though. Besides, what's the overweight charge, 25-50 bucks each way? A small price to pay for prestige!

------
My Galleries

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:36 AM

Medium format is certainly the hefty way to take pictures underwater. My Hasselblad rig weighs >10kg and for that reason gets left at home more than I'd like. Also depth of field issues mean that MF is not actually as good a tool for UW as 35mm or digi. IMO! But about a month ago I gave at talk at BSoUP showing my medium format shots and when the shots are up there on the screen looking fab - all the effort really seems worth it.
Alex
Page about my hasselblad

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:54 AM

What, that puny blue thing?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#8 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:37 AM

Saw that - Cost effective yeah!

#9 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:00 AM

A small price to pay for prestige!

Just think of all the prestige I could get from that, it's got 5 Pelican cases!! :D

#10 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:13 AM

You would look so good, though. Besides, what's the overweight charge, 25-50 bucks each way? A small price to pay for prestige!

In the real world it is $30.00 per Kilo!

#11 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:21 AM

OK, a large price to pay for prestige. But the looks you will get...priceless!

Now, if you could get that thing to do 2:1 (35mm equiv), just think of the fun you'd have. Don't forget the really big strobes!

------
My Galleries

#12 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 03:20 AM

I get my thrills driving an X5 BMW :D

#13 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:16 AM

Just one Bob? :D
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:31 AM

Ya, I thought it got stolen???

J
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#15 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 03:26 PM

Now, if you could get that thing to do 2:1 (35mm equiv), just think of the fun you'd have. Don't forget the really big strobes!

I don't think the strobe's the hard part, you should be shooting the same F-stop as 35mm or you 'll loose resolution due to diffraction. The DOF will be microscopic. You're magnifying the subject 4x !
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#16 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:22 PM

Some of the lenses for this camera go beyond f/32. The amount of diffraction you can tolerate is proportional to the circle of confusion you accept. I don't know what that is for this camera but it's lenses go at least to f/45.

Let's say I had a subject 35mm wide that I wanted to fill the frame with. For 6x7 that would be 2:1 and for 35mm that would be 1:1. Assuming both cameras are shot at f/32, bellows effect makes the effective f-stop f/64 for 35mm and f/96 for 6x7. In reality, you may shoot the 6x7 at f/45 which makes the problem even worse (f/135). If you are using ISO 50 film you would need big strobes or narrow beams for 6x7 and that's only for 1:1 equivalent. A pair of 400's might do it.

I suspect the point is moot since achieving magnification like that is probably out of the realm of the camera. I'd be happy to hear if people do that, though, and how.

------
My Galleries

#17 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:48 PM

Some of the lenses for this camera go beyond f/32.  The amount of diffraction you can tolerate is proportional to the circle of confusion you accept.  I don't know what that is for this camera but it's lenses go at least to f/45.

Let's say I had a subject 35mm wide that I wanted to fill the frame with.  For 6x7 that would be 2:1 and for 35mm that would be 1:1.  Assuming both cameras are shot at f/32, bellows effect makes the effective f-stop f/64 for 35mm and f/96 for 6x7.  In reality, you may shoot the 6x7 at f/45 which makes the problem even worse (f/135).  If you are using ISO 50 film you would need big strobes or narrow beams for 6x7 and that's only for 1:1 equivalent.  A pair of 400's might do it.

I suspect the point is moot since achieving magnification like that is probably out of the realm of the camera.  I'd be happy to hear if people do that, though, and how.

You could. But what have you gained by going to a piece of film that's twice the width and at the same time double the blurring due to diffraction? For all your troubles, you end up with the same amounts of detail.

To be specific, if you were to blow up a pygmy seahourse to 1m in length. You get about the same thing at f/32 for a 35mm film and f/64 for a 70mm film.

#18 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:18 PM

Ya, I thought it got stolen???

J

We have a spare!

#19 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:37 PM

You could. But what have you gained by going to a piece of film that's twice the width and at the same time double the blurring due to diffraction? For all your troubles, you end up with the same amounts of detail.

To be specific, if you were to blow up a pygmy seahourse to 1m in length. You get about the same thing at f/32 for a 35mm film and f/64 for a 70mm film.

If the only reason for larger formats is larger viewing sizes then you're right. But if you shot 35mm at f/22 and 70mm at f/45 you have 4 times the surface area of film so your grain would be proportionately reduced and you would achieve 50% greater depth of field at a 35mm 1:1. Larger formats are capable of greater DOF but only if you choose equivalent apertures and accept that the total number of lines resolved will be the same. If you insist on resolving more detail then DOF will suffer. I suspect the lens designers put f/45 on the lenses for a reason.

If you shot f/32 vs. f/45 on the same example you'd have roughly the same DOF and superior overall resolution for the 70mm.

------
My Galleries

#20 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:00 PM

That sounds lite compared to my DXC 125 video housing I made, 80 lbs. not including the camera and lights.
I once paid full fare on Chalks Airline to Bimini just for the housing.

Marc

Posted Image
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.