• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

I got home from my first dive trip to the south pacific last weekend and wanted a share part of the experience. My brother-in-law was getting married in Hong Kong, and we decided a add a week of diving in some location nearby after the wedding. Iíd heard good things about the Philippines from friends that went there last year. Itís only a couple of hours away from Hong Kong, so it seemed like a good destination. So after 5 or 6 days and a really fun wedding in HK, we headed off for some diving!

We visited the Atlantis Dive Resort in Dumaguete, which is in the south part of the country on the island of Negros. It was pretty easy to get there, with a short flight from HK to Manilla and then a 1 hour domestic flight to Dumaguete. The only friction we experienced was about $150 in overweight charged on the domestic flight. With a lot of excess baggage in the form of wedding clothing, two rebreathers, lots of camera junk, and the rest of the typical gear in tow I think I had about 300lbs of bags! Fortunately I took Cathay Pacific for the international flights and they did not care how much I carried. The resort helped check us in on the return domestic flight and avoided any more overweight charges, which was just another example of their excellent service.

The resort was amazing. Very nice, clean, well equipped, and with an amazing staff. We were very impressed. The food was gourmet restaurant quality, definitely some of the best Iíve had at any dive resort. My wife and some of the other folks who tagged along from the wedding party enjoyed the $20 90 minute massages at the onsite spa.

The diving was amazing. It was a mix of expansive, pristine coral reefs and what is called ďmuck divingĒ. As this was my first time further out than Hawaii, every dive we saw bizarre new creatures. The muck was really fascinating with a ton of tiny macro creatures. Pipehorses, shrimp, micro-lobsters, etc. The reefs were in great shape, mostly concentrated on nearby Apo Island. Lots of fish, turtles, and coral vistas. On one of the boat rides a banded sea snake jumped into the boat, which was pretty funny. My only injury on the trip was from a hyper-aggressive Clown Fish that nipped my knuckle while I took a picture of a swimming shrimp in it's resident anemone.

I was really impressed by the Philippines and Atlantis Dumaguete, and would love to make a return visit in the future.

Here are some photos of some of my favorite subjects. You can see the full slideshow here.

Apo Island Coral Reefs
Posted Image

Ghost Pipefish
Posted Image

Purple Squat Lobster
Posted Image

Unknown Nudibranch (waiting for my south pacific ID book!)
Posted Image

Anemone Fish peeking out of closed anemone
Posted Image

Rebecca inspecting the reef life
Posted Image

Green Sea Turtle & Friends
Posted Image

Blue Ribbon Eel
Posted Image

Harlequin Shrimp
Posted Image

#2 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Nice nudibranch shot there! How abt the Nudibranch Encyclopedia? http://www.nevilleco....aspx?node=2882
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#3 Searcaigh

Searcaigh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, 4x4 desert driving

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Looks like a Nembrotha kubaryana
Gordon T. Smith
Diver and Desert Explorer

#4 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for sharing. Banded sea snake jumping on the boat was funny? I think I would have been freaking out more than laughing.

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#5 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the report.

Considering that a banded sea snake's venom is 10 times more lethal than a rattlesnake or back mamba, I would have freaked out too!

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#6 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report on Atlantis Dumaguete. That resort is on my short list. Would you recommend November/December as a good time to go? How was the weather while you were there?

Thanks,
Gina

#7 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

I'm glad it was helpful! I was out there at this time last year and the conditions were very nice. Sunny, warm water, good weather for the whole trip. We wore 3mm wetsuits and were very comfortable.

Bring your macro lenses! The muck dives in the sand and tire reefs were the real highlight for me.

Enjoy,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report on Atlantis Dumaguete. That resort is on my short list. Would you recommend November/December as a good time to go? How was the weather while you were there?

Thanks,
Gina