1 reply to this topic

#1 Chud

Chud

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi there

My real name is Richard and I'm based in the (currently totally miserable and un-sunny) town of Poole in Dorset.

I've only recently got into UW Photography off the back of a few holidays; Sharm el Sheikh (disposable UW film camera), South Ari Atoll Maldives and Cayo Guilermo Cuba (Vivitar 5mp camera in 15m housing) and finally Negril Jamaica where finally doing Padi OW gave me an excuse to upgrade to an Ixus 70 with WPDC13 housing.

Previous to that I'd done quite a lot of photography above the waves with Nikon film SLR's (EM, F3 and 6006) and more recently with a variety of digital compacts (Nikon Coolpix 5200, Olympus Mju 1010 (blech!) and most recently a Canon G9).

Anyway here are a couple of shots taken in the Maldives with the vivtar whilst snorkelling - before anyone asks yes they have been photoshopped but only in terms of the colour balance as the originals really did not look right at all...

Powder Blues

Coral Garden

As far as people I know on here goes... well I was at school (year below) with Dr Mustard (aka Musty iirc) but had no idea until recently that he'd been skulking around underwater taking photos... :D
Negril, Jamaica 2009 -
South Ari Atoll, Maldives 2008 -

"Underwater photography kills the diving and turns you into a self-absorbed, humourless, depressed, monomanical weirdo. You develop a strange fetish called O-Ringphilia: the obsessive cleaning and greasing of O-rings. Do you seriously think the buddy system works with underwater photographers? That an underwater photographer would drop his camera to save his buddy? Forget it! An underwater photographer would never even know if his buddy was drowning." - Jeremy Stafford-Deitsch

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3021 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hi Richard,
Welcome to Wetpixel and thanks for sharing your pictures. Congrats on getting your camera in the water. Be careful though, it's starts out innocently enough, just a few shots on vacation. Then before you know it you'll spend all your time planning trips to places you've never heard of and trying to figure out how you are going to get all your new ($$$$$) cameras and housings there. Good luck. Thanks for the "Musty" nickname, we"ll be using that one. :D :D

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom