• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10643 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

If you have a Canon ViDSLR/HDSLR (EOS 1D MkIV, 5D MkII, 7D, Rebel T1i/500D), there's a short film (4 minute) competition sponsored by Canon where there is a documentary category which includes nature. Judges include Rick McCullum of Lucasfilm. So if you think you have what it takes, read on:

http://www.can-dofil....com/index.html

Good luck and happy shooting! (Ok so it's only the 500D and 5D MkII which have housings now but you can also join the topside categories!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Drew,

Are you gonna enter the "anemone" video??? LOL

Tom

PS: Still awaiting a copy...

Edited by wydeangle, 18 December 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

The terms of submission are not great:-

"I hereby grant RAWworks and Canon Inc the right to use my short film material for any publicity purposes they require."

Worldwide unlimited rights? No time limit? No restrictions?

Normally competitions restrict the rights to promoting future contests for up to a maximum of 2 years.....and only the winning images/video.

These terms could be considered a rights grab. Which are great if you are a large corporation and want lots of material for minimal cost.....

Edited by decosnapper, 19 December 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10643 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

Well I'm not sure about that. They can use the entry to promote the event, which promotes the winner, plus as a winner you get a prize. It's a fair exchange. It's not like. Any budding DP would gladly sign up if Rick McCullum likes what he sees and hires him/her for the next project. It's a fair demand that is pretty much standard in most competitions.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Well I'm not sure about that. They can use the entry to promote the event, which promotes the winner, plus as a winner you get a prize. It's a fair exchange. It's not like. Any budding DP would gladly sign up if Rick McCullum likes what he sees and hires him/her for the next project. It's a fair demand that is pretty much standard in most competitions.

If they only want to promote the event, why are the rights not restricted to "event promotion" and time limited? Worldwide unrestricted rights is very broad indeed.

And why to they want the rights to use all the entries, not just the winner? Losers have to surrender their rights too? Remember, only the winner gets the prize and exposure. Losers have surrendered their rights to the organiser and Canon and get nothing in return.

Its high risk. You have some great footage but it's not placed. Canon and the organiser can still do whatever they like with your footage......they are under no obligation to credit so who is exactly winning here and why is this fair?

Pro-imaging run a "Rights On" and "Rights Off" list for good and bad photographic competitions. They actively challenge those competitions that grab rights to images, and promote those that don't. Is there anything similar in the moving footage world? If there isn't, there should be.

Edited by decosnapper, 20 December 2009 - 08:24 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com