102 replies to this topic

#41 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:53 AM

So, is it unfair to hold your dome underneath, say, a jellyfish on the surface and snap away? Is it unfair to use a rebreather because other divers have to deal with their bubbles? Is it unfair to take more than one frame?

I'm sorry to say that this reminds me of why I don't much like competitions (apart from not winning, that is....)!

Tim

:D

:lol:

What has any of these got to do with 'maybe' using a captive wolf in a contest that stipulates non captive subjects ... Although I do agree there's a certain advantage to using rebreathers over open circuit ...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#42 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

BTW, people have shot fish in aquaria before! Guilty as charged: I have a few shots that I took at the Monterey Bay aquarium that aren't too bad. I shot more than a card worth trying to get a decent shot those anchovies in the cylindrical tank. :lol:

I have seen published pix of salmon eggs and alevins that look like they were shot looking up a glass-bottomed aquarium, either that or up a petri dish! However, my UW salmon eggs shots were done in an ice-cold stream that involved stepping through ice and snow!

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#43 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

BTW, people have shot fish in aquaria before!

I see no problem in shooting in aquaria. In many instances this is the only way that some images can be taken - I HAD to use some aquarium shots in the fish book I worked on this year - or we wouldn't have had useful photos of certain subjects. However you have to bear in mind that some aquarium specimens are not representative of those found in the wild. As an example I shot some pix of a black goby in an aquarium. If they are compared with a wild shot black goby, the aquarium fish is old and fat with droopy jowls! Clearly such a fish survives well past its 'wild existence' sell by date and this one had been overfed too. This is obvious from the photos if you know what you are looking at. Although the close-up sh ts of it could be passed off as wild shot images they would give a very false impression of what that fish looks like.

Which goes back to the photo in question; does a wild wolf waste energy by leaping over gates?

Monterey IS a stunning aquarium.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#44 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

I expect 90% of shooter peeps make use of tame/trained/captive/imprisoned ??? subjects for whatever purposes... The argument is that this wolf was 'maybe' captive and this was against the rules of the chosen comp /category ...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#45 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

The argument is that this wolf was 'maybe' captive and this was against the rules of the chosen comp /category ...

Dive safe

DeanB

Thats not entirely true. The rules say "Images of captive animals must be declared. The judges will take preference to images taken in free and wild conditions"

He could have just declared it, and who knows, he may even have won as well.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#46 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

Thats not entirely true. The rules say "Images of captive animals must be declared. The judges will take preference to images taken in free and wild conditions"

Whoops ... Sorry, my bad, I haven't actually read the rules ... Its still a bit naughty if true, although the original picture showed the wolf juggling 5 oranges and smoking a cigar !!!

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#47 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

the aquarium fish is old and fat with droopy jowls! Clearly such a fish survives well past its 'wild existence' sell by date and this one had been overfed too. This is obvious from the photos if you know what you are looking at.

Oh my. Now even fish have to worry about how they look? Maybe they'll invent botox for gobies. :lol:
Ellen B.

#48 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Might have, yes - but the implication from the rules is that it would not have stood a chance in hell.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#49 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:19 AM

The story is in the newspapers in the UK now:

http://www.guardian....fe-photographer

http://www.dailymail...wolf-image.html

http://www.telegraph...ery-claims.html

http://www.timesonli...icle6965656.ece

A museum spokesman said: “The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition office has been made aware of an allegation concerning the veracity of the photo Storybook Wolf, specifically that an animal model was used."

“Using a trained animal model would break the competition rules and we take any such allegation very seriously. Consequently, we have been looking into the details of this claim, and we are reconvening our judging panel as soon as possible to consider the information that we have obtained."

“The judges will then consider the information we have, and report to the owners of the competition. The competition will decide on appropriate action based on the decisions reached by the panel of judges and we will make that public in the new year.”

Mr Rodríguez denies any wrongdoing or breach of competition rules.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#50 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

Oh my. Now even fish have to worry about how they look? Maybe they'll invent botox for gobies. :lol:

One is in the wild, the other an aquarium -it will take a lot of botox!D048888.jpg D040514.jpg
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#51 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

I'd be pretty surprised if they do rescind the award. There's no 100% proof and if there's no confession, then I doubt they can do anything. Helluva PR nightmare though, but bad publicity is better than no publicity.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#52 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'd be pretty surprised if they do rescind the award. There's no 100% proof and if there's no confession, then I doubt they can do anything. Helluva PR nightmare though, but bad publicity is better than no publicity.

I agree that – in the absence of incontravertable proof – they are unlikely to strip him of the award. However, from the little I know about the administrators of this award, they will be aghast at this controversy. It is casting a plausible doubt on their most prestigious award – and this is a competition that relies on prestige. For the winner of the 'Wildlife Photographer of the Year' to be proven to be, well, 'not wild' would be a PR disaster. That said, a previous winner was a portrait of a gorilla in a zoo, but the fact of its captivity was the point of the image.

#53 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

If the shooter is guilty of using a captive animal and not submitting the fact to the judges then he should be honourable enough to admit to it ... This is a prestigueous competition and there are shooters out there braving all sorts of conditions and tasks to get the end result in their image and to be beaten by what 'maybe' a cheat is going to be disheartening at the very least ... Admitting to making a mistake by not reading the rules can be excused in some cases but not in this comp me thinks ...

I think its down to the shooter to be honest and have the decency to reveal the truth behind 'Wolf-Gate' ... Do you like what I did there :lol:

Dive save

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#54 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I think its down to the shooter to be honest and have the decency to reveal the truth behind 'Wolf-Gate' ... Do you like what I did there :lol:

Nice move on the Wolf Gate Dean. As to whether the truth will ever be known on this, who knows. Perhaps one side or the other will give in, but don't see it happening. Overall, it is a bad situation and unless the photographer can clearly show it was not a "cheat" he is going to have this dog him also. His reputation took a hit, rightly or wrongly, and like most things when the stuff hits the fan intially it gets big press and if it turns out it was not his dishonesty, things like that seem to not get as much play.

#55 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

unless the photographer can clearly show it was not a "cheat" he is going to have this dog him also.

..."dog him"...?

You wag!

#56 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Nice move on the Wolf Gate Dean. As to whether the truth will ever be known on this, who knows. Perhaps one side or the other will give in, but don't see it happening. Overall, it is a bad situation and unless the photographer can clearly show it was not a "cheat" he is going to have this dog him also. His reputation took a hit, rightly or wrongly, and like most things when the stuff hits the fan intially it gets big press and if it turns out it was not his dishonesty, things like that seem to not get as much play.

This IS turning into another 'gate', like 'watergate'. :lol:

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#57 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

..."dog him"...?

You wag!

Well the press will hound him now ...

Dive safe

DeanB

This IS turning into another 'gate', like 'watergate'. ;)

:D Hello over here ... :lol: :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#58 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

Yes. Senor Rodriguez will become the OJ Simpson (did he or didn't he?) of the photography world. You gotta admit... the gaps on the gate are wide enough that the wolf would've walked right through it. And he does have that 2nd shot from a 2nd camera. Seems pretty confident to set up 2 cameras with pretty much the same angles.
Then again, if they allowed "assisted flying" octopodes, they gotta allow wolves to leap tall gates in a single bound. :lol:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#59 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

Wolfgate. Classic, I love it Dean.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#60 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Wolfgate. Classic, I love it Dean.

Looks like its official. My spanish is a bit rusty but a friend says the news is breaking all over Spain. They are taking back the prize.

http://www.elmundo.e...1263988834.html

still. its a beautiful photo.

ah ha. in english
http://www.telegraph...d-of-award.html

Edited by jmauricio, 20 January 2010 - 08:45 AM.