• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 michaelbialecki

michaelbialecki

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hello everybody....I am new to this forum....I am a photographer and somebody (ellen) over at rangefinderforum recommended me to this site....I just spent some time reading some threads and I have a couple of questions...

I am going to buy a Nikonos V and some lenses (15mm/20mm/35mm) and a fb 105 strobe....I am not a diver, but I like to snorkel....I read in a couple of the posts that it is not ok to snorkel (free dive) with a 15mm on Nikonos because there is not adequate pressure, and their is a high chance of "flooding"......

I plan to learn how to use my new kit in my swimming pool....what risks (do's and dont's) should I be aware of....

I absolutely have no experience whatsoever with UW photography, but it is something that I would like to try out....can somebody please give me a basic rundown on what I should/shouldn't do...

Any advice would be appreciated....BTW, I am not a troll ....I have been taking photos for 20 years, but this will be my first time using/experimenting with UW photography....I have read some info on Bob Warkentin's website (southern-nikonos) and it is helpful...

anyways, here is a link to some of my work that I do

http://www.flickr.co...s/22072877@N05/

Thanks in advance to any advice....I am excited to venture into this type of photography......not really sure if it matters or not, but I live in Thailand now and I plan on using the camera around some of the islands here...and also in my swimming pool...

cheers, michael

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

I had a NikV and 15mm lens and used it in a cuttlefish tank once (it was a big tank I could swim in) I would look into getting a very strong "rubber band" to use to hold the lens on the camera body for shallow water use.

Cheers
James

PS: fantastic photostream!
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

I had a NikV and 15mm lens and used it in a cuttlefish tank once (it was a big tank I could swim in) I would look into getting a very strong "rubber band" to use to hold the lens on the camera body for shallow water use.

Cheers
James

PS: fantastic photostream!

Yup, that puppy needs to be firmly seated, especially in shallow water.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#4 michaelbialecki

michaelbialecki

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks James and Deep6 for the replies, I appreciate it....can you guys recommend what kind of rubber band I should use....that maybe a stupid question but I have no idea...are you talking about a specific rubber band or any "heavy duty" rubber band....I guess if there is a chance of flooding using this lenses while snorkeling, I don't have to use the 15mm, I can always use the 20mm or the 35mm while snorkeling or playing around in my pool

It seems sort of a waste though, I am buying a kit, the camera with the 3 lenses and the strobe for a good price, and I read that the 15mm lenses is an excellent lens.....considering the fact that I snorkel and I don't scuba dive, I am not even sure if I will be able to/or be comfortable using the 15mm because of the chance of flooding.......

do you guys think that I will experience any problems using the 20mm or the 35mm in my pool...thanks again...

cheers, michael

thanks for the comment on my photostream James, much appreciated

Edited by michaelbialecki, 18 December 2009 - 05:43 PM.

#5 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Hi Michael, nice seeing you over here :lol:

I'd like to extend to you a very warm welcome to Wetpixel. I'd glad you decided to post your question. As you can see, it didn't take long for some friendly folks to reply to you.

can you guys recommend what kind of rubber band I should use......are you talking about a specific rubber band or any "heavy duty" rubber band....I guess if there is a chance of flooding using this lenses while snorkeling, I don't have to use the 15mm, I can always use the 20mm or the 35mm while snorkeling or playing around in my pool

I don't know if the kind of rubber band makes so much difference other than the fact that it should be strong enough and big enough to go around the lens and camera and apply pressure that will in effect take the place of the pressure you would experience at depth. One time a friend of mine recommended I use a white piece of fabric over my strobe as an emergency diffuser to soften the lighting coming from the strobe. I brought along a plain old rubber band that would go over my SB 105 strobe and the white cloth. I never did actually use it, but the point is that an ordinary rubber band will do the trick.

As far as which lens to use, I don't know if any of them are more prone to flooding but I think it's important that you understand what each lens will do. For example, the 15 will be a great wide angle lens but one that can be hard for beginners to master. It's easy to photograph subjects from too far away. The 20mm lens "the poor man's 15" will probably be easier for you to use than the 15mm lens. It's great for portraits of divers and marine creatures. The 35mm lens, similarly, has its own set of do's and don't's.

I strongly recommend you get a copy of the late Jim Church's classic "Essential Guide to Nikonos Systems" It's been a bible of users of the Nikonos and the RS.

You might also want to contact Bob Warkentin at Southern Nikonos with your questions.

Again, a most warm welcome to you.

A warning though: you might find underwater photography highly addictive, so much that you will want to get certified to dive, buy a very expensive housing, camera and strobes, , etc. all the while moving toward depleting your life savings. :D

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#6 michaelbialecki

michaelbialecki

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hello Ellen and thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.....I am going to contact Bob once I hae read EVERYTHING on his site.....to be honest, now I am back on the fence about whether to buy the Nikonos V kit or not.....I planned on using it in my pool and for some snorkeling trips that I often take on the weekend......I am not so sure if I would feel comfortable using a rubber band on it to keep it from flooding.....

But I have a question that maybe somebody can answer.....when a diver first enters the water, they have to go down slowly, and well, wouldn't water enter the camera then if there was a chance of it happening.....I am sorry for my terminology here, but I am not experienced at all in this field....I guess my point is, the camera at some point has to be in the water with very little pressure on it (snorkeling pressure)...so, wouldn't water enter the camera when someone who is going to go down deep in the first minute when there is little pressure....

I hope somebody can help me out here, I am going to be meeting with the seller in 24 hours and now I am having second thoughts...

maybe a more direct question would be ....

Does anybody here use there Nikonos V in a pool or use it for snorkeling, and if so, do they do anything special to the camera and lens to keep it from flooding?...the kit that I am considering buying comes with a 15mm, 20mm and 35mm....

thanks in advance, and I just want to say sorry again about these questions, but I am really in the dark about this kind of photography....

cheers, michael

#7 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

The problem is that the 15 mm lens is heavy and projects far out from the camera body. Consequently any force on the lens is magnified at the point of sealing and thus can loose the seal - if only momentairly. But that's enough to flood. While a rubber band is an idealistic fix, it will probably be in the image. The 28 or 20 would be a more 'safe' lens if you are in shallow water.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#8 michaelbialecki

michaelbialecki

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Thanks a lot Okuma, I had not even thought about that, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.....

I am contemplating buying a kit to use for snorkeling and in my pool, so I guess the 20mm and 35mm would be ok, right?.......

thanks again....

cheers, michael

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hi Michael

Why not something like a Canon G11 and housing?

I think you will find digital less frustrating than film for a new underwater photographer

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

I am going to buy a Nikonos V and some lenses (15mm/20mm/35mm) and a fb 105 strobe

I absolutely have no experience whatsoever with UW photography, but it is something that I would like to try out....can somebody please give me a basic rundown on what I should/shouldn't do...

I'd steer you away from the Nikonos 35mm lens. The 35mm is an old design, 6 elements in four groups, pretty much a simple Gauss lens. If you've ever taken an optics class, it's likely that this design is the first camera lens you studied. The lens actually works pretty well with low chromatic aberrations and low distortions, but there's a lack of sharpness in it that might surprise you if you're used to modern lenses with 10 to 20 elements and more complex optics.

The 28mm is a great lens that has replaced the 35mm in my use.

The other thing I would recommend, with either the 28 or the 35, is the closeup kit. This is an achromat that attaches to the front of the lens and allows close-focus macro photography.

Finally, most Nikonos lenses will flood once every 1,000 dives or so, when used properly. In shallow water, the Nikonos 15mm might flood once every few hundred dives. It's not that the 15mm doesn't work or will definitely flood every dive, it's simply a little less reliable than the other lenses, because as a bigger lens it has higher stresses on the lens mount but uses the same materials and geometry as the smaller lenses.

#11 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hi Michael

Why not something like a Canon G11 and housing?

I think you will find digital less frustrating than film for a new underwater photographer

I agree with Mike's suggestion. You may want to look for a good used G10 or other P&S camera with a housing. The P&S will give you instant feed back and a much faster learning curve.
I prefer the Nikonos 28 to the 35mm for the aforementioned reasons. I have used the Nikonos 28 and the Sea & Sea 20mm for free diving. The S&S 20 mm is smaller that the Nikonos version. For topside shooting, there are the 35 and 80 mm lenses. The 28 can be used with care (dome front - watch the edges). If you go with the V, get Jim & Cathy Church's book.
Welcome to the club; let the madness begin :lol:
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#12 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

I fully agree with the previous recommendation on avoiding a film camera.
If you want pain & frustration, buy a head hammer.
Yes, the Nikonos 15mm is the best U/W lens ever, including today's high end ports,; but the advantages of a good, used digital rig will serve you the best as a beginning W/U shooter.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#13 michaelbialecki

michaelbialecki

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

I just wanted to say "thanks" for the comments that I received....I met with the seller and I decided not to purchase the Nikonos kit...everything was in really nice shape, but I think it is not what I am looking for...I did purchase a Nikon Fm2 and 3 lenses from him for a really good price though.....I have a Canon g10 at home and I will look into a water proof housing when i am back in Bangkok, I think it might be what I am looking for.....anyways, I am currently in a small town in Northern Thailand that borders Myanmar shooting some hill tribes and life is good.....

thanks again....

cheers, michael

#14 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

I fully agree with the previous recommendation on avoiding a film camera.
If you want pain & frustration, buy a head hammer.

Gets my vote for Wetpixel quote of the year for 2009. :lol: How far we have come.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#15 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

I met with the seller and I decided not to purchase the Nikonos kit...everything was in really nice shape, but I think it is not what I am looking for...I did purchase a Nikon Fm2 and 3 lenses from him for a really good price though

Micheal,

I think you made a very wise decision. I really wanted to react to the comment one of the posters made on the Rangefinder forum when he said something like you would be happier with a quality film camera like the Nikonos rather than a point and shoot. But I perhaps wisely declined to say anything :lol:

When you're ready to buy the housing for your Canon G10, I suggest you get in touch with Reef Photo. Ask for Ryan Canon.

Finally, congrats on your FM2 purchase. I recently bought one and have been having lots of fun with it.

All the best,

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#16 sooke

sooke

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

Micheal,

I think you made a very wise decision. I really wanted to react to the comment one of the posters made on the Rangefinder forum when he said something like you would be happier with a quality film camera like the Nikonos rather than a point and shoot. But I perhaps wisely declined to say anything :)

When you're ready to buy the housing for your Canon G10, I suggest you get in touch with Reef Photo. Ask for Ryan Canon.

Finally, congrats on your FM2 purchase. I recently bought one and have been having lots of fun with it.

All the best,

Ellen