Photo
- - - - -

INON UFL-MR130 EFS60 Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens in Action!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.

http://www.flickr.co...eng/4156481487/

Alex

Edit:

The Inon UFL-MR130 webpage

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Those interested in this technique should also check out Eric's recent shots using the INON Endoscope lens on the current Wetpixel trip in the Eastern Fields.

Alex

In particular, the shot with the coral hermit crabs is good example. Those crabs are teeny-tiny!

#3 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

Alex

How this thing works? Is there any way to fit that on an Aquatica D3 housing?

Thanks

Marcelo Krause
www.marcelokrause.com

#4 jordi

jordi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to an adaptor port made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot housing.

I summarize certain operational aspects of this lens:

- It is designed to be used with Canon APS-C and 60 mm Canon EF-S. With SAGA we have tried to use it with Nikon cameras and multiple lenses without satisfactory results, but we are still trying.
- This is not a wet-lens, so it is not possible to remove it underwater. It is also necessary to use a specific port that aligns it with the 60 mm lens.
- Need to focus manually.
- Contrary to what might seem the focus is very critical.
- For maximum quality and depth of field you have to shoot between f/22 and f/32.
- We need to get too close to photograph the subject: between 1 and 4 cm (approx)

The best: it takes a lot of fun and let you shoot in previously unthinkable way .
I have done a couple of dives with it. I've posted a small gallery on my website that I will update as I'll take more pictures.
www.uwaterphoto.com/galeria.php?op=8

I attach some samples

Attached Images

• sinttulo2sy.jpg
  • img9320.jpg
  • img9190.jpg
  • sinttulo7vh.jpg

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:03 AM

Those are really awesome. Obviously it is a special effect lens - not to be over used, but great when it comes together. The depth of field is impressive too.

Thanks for posting, Jordi.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to a port adaptor made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot and S&S housings.

I summarize certain operational aspects of this lens:

- It is designed to be used with Canon APS-C and 60 mm Canon EF-S. With SAGA we have tried to use it with Nikon cameras and multiple lenses without satisfactory results, but we are still trying.
- This is not a wet-lens, so it is not possible to remove it underwater. It is also necessary to use a specific port that aligns it with the 60 mm lens.
- Need to focus manually.
- Contrary to what might seem the focus is very critical.
- For maximum quality and depth of field you have to shoot between f/22 and f/32.
- We need to get too close to photograph the subject: between 1 and 4 cm (approx)

The best: it takes a lot of fun and allows to photograph in a previously unthinkable way.
I have done a couple of dives with it. I've posted a small gallery on my website that I will update as I'll take more pictures.
www.uwaterphoto.com/galeria.php?op=8

I attach some samples

Thanks for the info. I have been curious about this lens since it was reported here from DEMA2008. We are finally getting to see some results.

The application I had in mind is to shoot developing salmon eggs in a stream - got me to use the 105 instead! A wide-angle perspective would be quite different, however. It would be too bad if it could not be adapted to a 60 Micro-Nikkor; there are now even two 60 micros to chose from!

The fact that one has to use small apertures is not too surprising and suggests that resolving power will be limited. A bit like the trade-off one gets using a microscope. I am curious to see blow-ups of crops to see how sharp they are (without artificial sharpening such as USM).

Edited by Tom_Kline, 20 December 2009 - 07:38 AM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#7 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Wow Jordi wonderfull shots :lol:
I guess there is nothing like that for the 100mm on ikelite ?

How hard is it to take photo with this long thing in from of the housing?

#8 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

A couple of weeks ago I got one of those lenses (Inon UFL-MR130) and thanks to a port adaptor made by Jose Sanchez (www.sagadive.com) I was able to use it with my Hugyfot and S&S housings.

Which camera?

I did a dive with Eric's 50D and the UFL-MR130 (we dubbed it Pinocchio), and it was fascinating to use. But the 50D was quite noisy, and since you need to use f22+ you're easily getting into the higher ISO ranges.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

It is really exciting to see these new images people are producing with the INON lens. It looks like a must-have accessory.

What really amazes me is the depth of field is very good considering the close focus. The corners look a bit naughty on some shots, but optically it looks very impressive from what can be seen in the low rez images.

The long lens makes lighting really easy - giving excellent quality of light for , although I imagine it makes it problematic getting the angles you want when the subject is on the seabed. Much easier if the subject is on a rock or wall.

Alex

#10 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Now all we need is for this lens to work on a Nikon 60mm, and on other housings. I'd buy one immediately if i could use it on my system. I dont really want to take a dedicated system for this like Eric did.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

I split the topic as this lens deserves its own thread.

Cor, just switch to Canon 7D and you'll have resolution AND the 60mm :lol:

I really like the lens but not sure I want to go to APS-C just for macro. I suppose a 4 lens 7D setup (IF there are adapters for the Inon lens) would be fine. 10-17, 17-70, 60, 100. Damn! it'll actually be cheaper than buying 2 5D2.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#12 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Conjecture from the trip: it should be a FoV and spacing issue, and should work with a 100mm macro on FF, with just the slightest loss of coverage (100mm FoV versus the 96mm equivalent for the EF-S 60mm that the UFL-MR30 is matched to).

I imagine Nikon users will lose more coverage - their only comparable FF lens is a 105mm?
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#13 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

Hey guys. I just posted a bunch of photos at the Eastern Fields trip report:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=33777

It should be obvious which ones were taken with the INON setup. :lol:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#14 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

Here's me, diving the Pinnochio in PNG a couple of weeks ago:

Posted Image
Photo: Frank Baensch
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:16 AM

Might as well post some of the shots I posted on flickr (+1):

Posted Image
An alien cell: the inside of a tunicate, taken with the INON Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens UFL-MR130 EFS60. I call this new lens the "insect eye lens." It allows for wide-angle macro shots (WAM) focused right up to the front element of the lens. Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091126_0241533

Posted Image
A squat lobster (Lauriea siagiani) in a barrel sponge (Xestospongia sp.). Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. Image taken with Canon 50D, Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens, INON X-2 underwater housing, INON underwater micro semi-fisheye relay lens UFL-MR130 EFS60, dual INON S2000 strobes.

Posted Image
Coral hermit crabs (Paguritta harmsi) in their little coral den. In this photo, the hole the hermit crabs live in is less than 1cm wide. Ashmore Atoll, Australia. echeng091128_0242484

Posted Image
A commensal goby in a soft coral (Nepthea sp.) forest. Ashmore Atoll, Australia.

Posted Image
Leaf scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus) in a soft coral (Nepthea sp.). Picasso Passage, Ashmore Atoll, Australia.

Posted Image
A large frogfish in the Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091210_0245471

Posted Image
A skeleton shrimp (Caprella sp.) on a Gorgonian. There were tens of thousands -- or more -- of these guys on this particular gorgonian. Eastern Fields, Papua New Guinea. echeng091213_0246220

Posted Image
Mushroom leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.) and sunball abstract. Taken in Ashmore Atoll, Australia on December 1, 2009. echeng091201_0243422

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#16 jordi

jordi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

Those are really awesome. Obviously it is a special effect lens - not to be over used, but great when it comes together. The depth of field is impressive too.

Thanks for posting, Jordi.

Alex

You are right Alex!! In my opinion, the lens is a special effect lens for special applications.

For example the depth of field is not as big as it seems. I'll try to post some crops. Focusing is quite critical!

Sharpness is not as good as a fisheye lens for example. The final image is softer than any normal lens. I've shot at 200 iso in shallow water (without any noise) and when you crop any detail to 100%, it is obvious that is not sharp enough, but anyway the lens is worthy for special applications. From my short experience the focus is better in the center than in the corners.
I've used a Canon 50D and I tried it with an hugyfot housing and S&S housing with special SAGA port.
I've tried to use it with the 105Vr+ d300 and the focusing is more critical because of the smaller depth of field. I am not sure if 100mm or 105 mm will have some vignetting in full frame cameras.

I've tried with the Nikon 60 mm AF-S and there was a lot of vignetting.

I attach one of the sharpest images that I've got with some crops.

Attached Images

• IMG_9275.jpg
  • crop_1.jpg
  • crop_2.jpg
  • Crop_3.jpg
  • crop_4.jpg

#17 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

Great info, Jordi. OK it is not super sharp, but sharp enough in the centre of the frame for many uses - after all the unusual look of the image will be its selling point, rather than ultimate image quality.

I really like the way Eric used it to get inside coral heads, leather corals, anemones etc. Getting the lens into places could not get a camera.

I think that Inon will sell bucket loads of these. I'd like one and I don't even have a camera that can take it!

Alex

#18 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

wonder if you could get a small ring flash to fit on the end of it? :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#19 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

A friend of mine is also having fun with it over the past few months. He did say that autofocus seems to work quite well for him though.
The tube is a good 18-20 inches long if I remember correctly. I could see places like Lembeh would be incredible for this type of setup.

#20 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'll have mine coming in January (hopefully)!

... can't wait to try it out.

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam