Photo
- - - - -

INON UFL-MR130 EFS60 Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens in Action!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Nathan, do a search of the forums. There have been quite a few posts with image samples from the lens, esp Eric's Ambon trip.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#62 blueglass

blueglass

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

I've been using this lens quite a bit, and I like it very much. It's not easy to find subjects that let you get close enough to get the right effect. The micro fisheye effect is only good at very close distance, between 0 and 20 mm. You can see a sample image in the Maldives feature of last Sport Diver mag, a shot of a crinoid.
When you find a helpful subject it's very fun to use.
Carlos Villoch
www.magicsea.com www.villoch.com
Itīs better down there...

#63 cho

cho

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Are they any updates from people using this lens? I have been on the verge of buying one, but I had no dive trips planned so there wasn't much motivation to seal the deal. That will change soon. I would probably get the Nauticam housing and Canon 7D. Let me know if anybody has more experience with it.

Those are my works that recently was taken in Anilao. I have enjoyed much with this relay lens. In my opinion , to get proper focusing in both of foreground and background, the exact focusing site should be compromised. But it would be not easy.

Attached Images

• _MG_3107.jpg
  • _MG_4545.jpg
  • _MG_5182.jpg
  • _MG_7546.jpg
  • _MG_7754.jpg
  • 63__1_of_1_.jpg

#64 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

I used mine having sent it back to Japan to be recalibrated. Here are a couple of results, a bit cartoonie I thought.

Posted Image
Posted Image
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#65 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Had another go with this in Egypt this week and am a bit more pleased with the results. I actually managed to get some focus in these shots! Used with the Canon 7D, 60mm macro. 2x S2000 on STTL.

Posted Image

and I found a very obliging Blue Spotted Ray who didn't seem too concerned about the end of the lens being very close to his eye.

Posted Image

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com

#66 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well, it's 10 months since the last post to this thread. I still have not pulled the trigger on buying one of these, but I am thinking about it.

#67 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Nathan, Indecision 2011 is going to be Indecision 2012 soon! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#68 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Nathan, Indecision 2011 is going to be Indecision 2012 soon! :)

Indeed you are right. The problem is that I basically only dive November-March (and sometimes less) due to being too busy. So if I miss the window for one year, I might as well wait until the next year, because the technology improves, new things come out. I have two dive trips coming up - a week in the Grenadines in late Jan, and 3 weeks in Belize. So I am trying to decide whether to get it for those trips - assuming that I can pull the stuff together in time.

#69 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

So I just ordered one.... I go to the Grenadines in mid January, we'll see how it does...

#70 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Anything more recent on this lens?
Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#71 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

My experience is like that of other people on the thread. The lens can do some amazing things that no other lens can do. But it is also pretty hard to use, and the optical quality is not great. The net result is that with some extra effort you can get some amazing pictures.

#72 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'd disagree slightly. I think it is easy to use, but limited by resolution. Great for video - limited optically for stills. Great for on screen, projection and online viewing. Limited for printed outputs - although useable because of the unique perspective.

I share some thoughts and images in this talk from a year ago:
Talk - start 06:20

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#73 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I'd disagree slightly. I think it is easy to use, but limited by resolution. Great for video - limited optically for stills. Great for on screen, projection and online viewing. Limited for printed outputs - although useable because of the unique perspective.

I share some thoughts and images in this talk from a year ago:
Talk - start 06:20

Alex

I have not yet got many keeper pictures with it but as Alex says for video it can be really neat.
http://www.blueviews...eye_640x360.mov
shows some video from Lembeh, the tiny octopus at the end thougth it might be a good place to live, a little cleaner than his Sprite bottle.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#74 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

That was a great video, really enjoyed it.

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com

#75 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Has anyone been put off the fact it looks like a long proboscis sticking out of the housing? :P

#76 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Has anyone been put off the fact it looks like a long proboscis sticking out of the housing? :P

More like a futuristic machine gun.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#77 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I am not put off by it, but I try to be extra careful it doesn't get sat on or other issues in the dive boat, because you could presumably damage it.

The thin proboscis is also very easy to bump into rocks if there is any surge.