26 replies to this topic

#21 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

Another question for Stephen,

Do you feel that there is still a need to pack a flat port for macro lenses on a trip if you are taking one of these new mini dome ports such as the Seacam or the Zen offerings?
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#22 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

A couple of questions:
1. Will the dome be available with optical coating?
2. Is the lens shade removable? - this is suggested by the first pic in post #8.

Hi Tom - Heard from Harald today that their is no optical coating available and shades are not removable.

Are you thinking this might be nice when working in your very shallow streams? I thought of you when I first saw it.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#23 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Another question for Stephen,

Do you feel that there is still a need to pack a flat port for macro lenses on a trip if you are taking one of these new mini dome ports such as the Seacam or the Zen offerings?

Yes, to need for flat port. In that the mini fisheyes don't allow full 1:1 and probably won't work with a 100mm macro or 105mm macro. At least I doubt that they will work with 100mm/105mm macro, considering a dome port's virtual image. I didn't even bother trying my 100 macro as I assumed it would not work.

I don't consider this an alternative to a flat port. Just a nice application for these mini ports if you happen to own one. It adds versatility and convenience, but I don't see it as a direct replacement for either a flat port or a Superdome.

#24 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Stephen - do you have any full resolution examples you might be able to provide? (of fisheye or other lenses in mini dome)

After just having come back from two snorkeling trips where we had to swim for hours a day, I'm in the market for a small dome.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#25 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Stephen - do you have any full resolution examples you might be able to provide? (of fisheye or other lenses in mini dome)

After just having come back from two snorkeling trips where we had to swim for hours a day, I'm in the market for a small dome.

Sure Eric. I'll send you a few via FileFlow.

Edited by StephenFrink, 16 February 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#26 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi Tom - Heard from Harald today that their is no optical coating available and shades are not removable.

Are you thinking this might be nice when working in your very shallow streams? I thought of you when I first saw it.

Thanks Steve, The smaller dome may enable getting better shots of salmon fry that can be as small as one inch long. Smaller done may enable working in slightly shallower water as well.
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#27 leonandclaudia

leonandclaudia

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

:( We just got the scoop on this fabulous little dome, here goes:

Jürgen (otherwise known as Yogi) and Stella Freund are currently with us at Sorido Bay resort in the Raja Ampat, their 18 month WWF expedition in full swing http://blogs.panda.org/coral_triangle/, and they came bearing not only the new miniature Seacam dome, but the full story of how this ‘YOGI Dome’ came about:

Posted Image
THE YOGI DOME by Stella Freund:
Yogi, or professionally known as Jürgen Freund was a mechanical engineer before he became a full-time nature photographer. He created many gadgets like lenses, domes, underwater housings etc. for his cameras. He had creative images in his mind and experimented a lot to get the imagined shot done. One of them was a macro-wide angle lens and later on, a mini dome.

Some 25 years ago, he made a macro-wide lens for his Nikonos 3. There was a Tauchen Magazine shoot-out in Cuba, made up of all German amateur underwater photographers. He had his weird looking Nikonos during this shoot-out and everyone saw what he was doing, what he was shooting.
When he submitted his pictures, he was accused of sandwiching two slides to make the macro-wide single slide picture (A super imposition of 2 images as one).
Of course this was not the case as it was a true single image. But still he didn't win anything. It was too early a concept for anyone to believe was the real thing. So through the years, he just did his own thing and never minded what other people thought.
For many years, his film macro-wide pictures came out in many underwater magazines, particularly in the Sulu Sulawesi Seas book which we produced for WWF Philippines in 2001.
Posted Image
Harald Hordosch, owner of Seacam, is a dear friend who we are lucky enough to have come visit us in Cairns, Far North Queensland for his vacation every now and then. He had a big hand in convincing Yogi it was time to shift from film to digital about 5 years ago when the Nikon D200 just came out. He and Yogi would simply talk for hours on end – creatively, and in engineering parlance. They've known each other a long time (more than 15 years) from when Harald started with Seacam. Yogi remembers the time when Harald would go to the Boot Show (Duesseldorf) with raw fingers, with aluminum dust still under his fingernails, straight from his workshop.

Some 4 years ago, Harald visited Cairns again. Yogi and Harald had a boy’s day out in our backyard from morning to night. They were like kids playing with their toys. Yogi brought out all his cameras, all his underwater housings, some he made from Plexiglas and the D200 Seacam housing. The calipers were out, the table was full of measuring tools and odd bits that engineers use, and white paper and pens for Harald to scribble on. Then Yogi's self made mini dome came out. Yogi by now was already well known for his macro-wide shots. He also knew he couldn't keep his secret under lock and key forever and so he showed his creation to Harald. Yogi asked Harald if he could make a glass version of his plastic mini-dome for him. So bringing back to Austria's Yogi's plastic mini-dome, Harald found a way to nicely encase the raw plastic dome material in the slick Seacam way and sent it back to us. In the meantime, he had his suppliers working, and has now manufactured a glass version. We got the first prototype of what I call "The Yogi Dome" in time for the beginning of our WWF Coral Triangle Photographic Expedition. It works perfectly and when the subject is right, makes simply excellent macro-wide angle pictures which are now shown on Harald's website under Jürgen Freund starting with the mushroom coral on the sandy bottom - http://seacam.com/de...ports/beispiele

The Freunds, collectively known as freundfactory, have been commissioned by the environmental organization WWF to swing through five of the six countries in the Coral Triangle, and bring this hotbed of marine biodiversity to the attention of the world. Last May, the couple embarked on a projected 18-month expedition that has taken them to the Philippines and Malaysia; they are currently scouring the waters of Raja Ampat Ampat, Indonesia, and are headed next to the Solomon Islands. It’s a trip that has so far taken them from beachside huts to five-star live-aboards and resorts and from tiny fishing villages to million-dollar live reef fish operations…
You can follow their ongoing blog on the WWF website, or click here:
http://blogs.panda.org/coral_triangle/

Edited by leonandclaudia, 23 February 2010 - 03:49 AM.