• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

For all travelers, it seems the fumbled plot to blow up some device in an airliner a few days ago has again created widespread hysteria, and in the wake of that you may want to pay close attention to what the airlines are doing. I need to travel in a few days and BA is now saying to only bring 1 piece of hand luggage, and in the air restrictions may apply to the use of any electronic device (book readers, ipods, etc) during the whole flight.

FYI,
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Yes, I'm dreading this one. Last time it was liquids - perhaps this time it will be no more electronic devices carried on board :-( Ugh.

Regards,
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

I was just sent an email by my airline regarding the new rules. I'm leaving my cameras behind in Asia when I go back home.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

Please remove your clothes and place them in the basket then proceed to the body cavity search zone...bend over and grab your ankles!
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

Total Recall is closer than you think :)
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

I read this morning that another proposal is to require all passengers to remain in their seats for the last hour of the flight. This means on a 90 minute flight, where you're supposed to stay seated while they climb to altitude, you won't be able to get up at all! Oh, and please put on this straitjacket when you board...

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#7 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

How about a WETPIXEL fractional ownership jet? Come on Eric, sell some more t-shirts and make it happen!
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#8 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

This is what Alaska Airlines has to say (just in time for the Olympics! When one goes to the US (at least for Seattle flights) from Vancouver one goes through US customs before getting on the plane - I have been through this a few times but have not noticed if this operation has anything to do with Transport Canada, mentioned below):

Travel Advisory
New International Security Directive

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued a new security directive affecting flights departing international locations arriving in the United States. For Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air passengers this affects flights coming from Canada or Mexico into the United States.

Passengers traveling from Canada or Mexico should arrive at the airport a minimum of 2 hours before departure in order to help with the additional security measures.

* Additional Searches: All passengers flying into the United States will be searched at the departure gate, in addition to normal screening at security checkpoints.
* Carry-on Luggage: From Canada or Mexico, carry-on luggage will also be searched at the departure gate. Transport Canada has limited the number of carry-on luggage to one (1) through the security checkpoint for passengers traveling from Canada to the United States. To minimize boarding delays, passengers are encouraged to check all their luggage. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will waive baggage fees for items checked as baggage that the passenger otherwise would have taken aboard as carry-on baggage from Canada or Mexico.
* Additional Inflight Security: Added security measures while on the international flights are also being put into effect.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#9 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

I looks like a total FUBAR in Amsterdam and with US security. This mullet was on a watch list and still managed to enter the US several times. May be they needed a Dutch shepard to stick its nose up his butt to sniff for PETN. There is really no way to completly protect an air line. Sadly, as in war, we always reacting in terms of the last one.
Bob (who had rather fly than swim to Asia)

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

I flew today from Tucson through Denver to Kansa City. I was expecting a painful security hassle. Instead we zoomed through. They even informed me that there is no longer any need to keep your boarding pass available when you go through the metal detector. The initial check when you show your ID is enough. 30 minutes from the house to the gate. I wouldn't try that if I was coming in from Amsterdam.

Good luck if you're flying international for a while.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#11 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

It will be interesting to see what additional security measures will be on American Airlines for the flight I will be taking from Grand Cayman to Miami in a couple weeks. I'll be on my way back from Alex Mustard's UW Photography Workshop.

I wonder how many terrorists fly from Grand Cayman into the US? :)

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#12 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:47 AM

All this nonsense caused by one more extemist who was on the terrorist list yet was given a visa by the Americans. Incompetance or ???? In any case the security procedures at Amsterdam have always been strict and obviously weren't good enough. Now they'll have a show trial and clamp down on the "normal" folk and we'll let a few more freedoms slip away.. Air travel has long been unpleasant, the airlines just keep making it worse. Can't wait to retire to someplace good to dive and stop all this airline travel torture. Just grit my teeth and bend over!

#13 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

I wonder how many terrorists fly from Grand Cayman into the US? :)

Ellen

Most all of them, especially the grandmothers and toddlers.

It is not possible to search your way to 100% security. The current security strategy is ineffective. It can only become effective with complete body and baggage search, which is impractical. The most effective approach is people screening instead of property screening. But people screening isn't, nor can it be effective in its current form.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#14 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

Be careful walking through security without shoes on. A couple weeks ago a man filed a lawsuit against the Buffalo International Airport (New York) becouse two years ago he cut his foot on some glass while he had his shoes off. He's asking for $500,000 in damages. Kind of ironic, the people who are there to protect you are the ones you have to fear!
Mike

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Cor
I think BackScatter X-Rays are already in TSA hands. But I doubt they'll get approval for machines powerful enough to see my endoskeletal image as I pass security. Think of all the cancer lawsuits!
Then again if they have to scan every single passenger with a MMW or X-ray body scan, then I shudder to think of how long it'll take to board an A380 plane!
These "measures" are mostly done to placate and calm the public. Taking away potty privileges, blankets and pillows and inflight entertainment in the last hour of flight is not about effectiveness. There will never be a 100% effective plan. Do people really think any measures from profiling to body scans will remove all risk? Depending on which measurements you use, flying is still safer than driving. Yet we all go on the highway like it's back in the womb safe. There are risks involved in EVERYTHING we do. Every system that involves having humans work it is inherently flawed. Umar got through despite being on a watch list because of human error. The security system works well enough. People just have to accept there are risks involved in living.
Anyhow, with emissions cutting being all the rage, perhaps flying less is a good thing :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#16 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I flew today from Tucson through Denver to Kansa City. I was expecting a painful security hassle. Instead we zoomed through. They even informed me that there is no longer any need to keep your boarding pass available when you go through the metal detector. The initial check when you show your ID is enough. 30 minutes from the house to the gate. I wouldn't try that if I was coming in from Amsterdam.

Good luck if you're flying international for a while.

Cheers,
Steve

I live in the Kansas CIty area. You did not say you were coming so I failed to bake a cake. Of course, I am in Cleveland now visiting relatives. Ships passing in the night...
If you are still in the KC area on 12/31 or later, I could buy you a blvd beer...
Dave

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#17 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

Yesterday Delta/Northwest was only allowing purses to be carried on board flights into the US from Canada, claiming a Transport Canada restriction. No amount of protesting could get my laptop bag classified as a man purse, so I had to check it. United at the same airport was allowing 1 carry on per person. Delta allowed you to carry on laptops by themselves, just no bags to speed security screening. No electronics were permitted to be used during the entire flight.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

WTH? No man bag? That's sexist! Why do women get a bag and not men? ACLU where are you?
In a few months it'll all calm down and then it'll get back to semi-normalcy I hope!

Drew

#19 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Yesterday Delta/Northwest was only allowing purses to be carried on board flights into the US from Canada, claiming a Transport Canada restriction. No amount of protesting could get my laptop bag classified as a man purse, so I had to check it. United at the same airport was allowing 1 carry on per person. Delta allowed you to carry on laptops by themselves, just no bags to speed security screening. No electronics were permitted to be used during the entire flight.

what about camera bags?

(This just makes the people stealing all checked luggage have a bigger pool of nice items to steal.)

#20 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Ryan,

How do you check a laptop without it getting trashed? Sounds like I need to prepare myself to check in my photo equip carry-on just in case this thing turns uglier. Do you have any bag recommendations or should I just pack a Pelican Case and hope to hell I have equipment to shoot with when I get to my destination?

Thanks!

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's