• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

This is my favourite image from 2009. It's my oldest girl Engla, seven years old, snorkeling with Lotta on a reef in the Egyptian Red Sea. We did a story about adventures in the Red Sea with children for a Scandinavian family magazine and this made it to the cover. I shot it with my old, trustworthy, D200 and a Nikon 10,5/2.8 fisheye. Forground lit with two diffused Inon Z240:s; ISO 100, f13, 1/90.

cheers

Attached Images

• lottaengla2.jpg

Edited by Christian K, 28 December 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#22 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

This is not my best but it's a favorite from my favorite dive of the year for several reasons. I shoot Great Lakes shipwrecks almost exclusively. I'd never shot anything other than wide angle underwater. This year when I got my new housing I also purchased a flat port so I could play around with my 60mm. I never realized how challenging it would be in the mental sense. Shooting close-up or macro is a completely different way of seeing underwater than shooting wide. The first 10 minutes of the dive I felt helpless, swimming around not knowing what to shoot. My dive buddy finally pointed out a flamingo tongue snail for me and it was one of those "aha" moments. Now I knew where to look and for what. It gave me a start. This one I found near the end of my dive almost directly under the dive boat. But the problem with shooting two strobes dead on was it looked so flat. After a few minutes it dawned on me to remove the left strobe and position it behind and to the side to give the whole image some dimension. Like I said, it's not great or anything that hasn't been done before but it was a wake up for me to look and think differently underwater. And I had a blast doing an 86 minute dive in 80 degree water shooting my 60mm instead what I'm used to - a 15 minute bottom time in 40 degree water shooting wide in 25 feet of viz. Sorry this is long winded but hey, that's why I like this image.
Posted Image

Canon 40D, Canon 60mm, Subal housing and flat port, dual Ike DS-125's

#23 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

I'm still slogging through hundreds of photos from 2009, but this is one I like, as others have said before me, because it is different from what I usually shoot, being larger than a pea, with a lens I don't often use (60mm), and at night at TK2 in Lembeh when I was being barraged by a massive school of shrimpfish, probably attracted by my mask light! It was all I could do to swat them away...it was like a swarm of locusts...very creepy. So, I am pretty happy that it turned out after all; I like the pattern and colour.

Cheers,
Marli

Attached Images

• 1124_021_Edit.jpg

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#24 Torchuck

Torchuck

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

it was pretty hard to choose. Diving this year was very different.
First time I dived in fresh water... but...
my favourite photo is squid couple dancing in the night.
I tried to do it for two years.
Posted Image
Indonesia, Lembeh. Canon 5D. Canon 100mm macro, Nexus, Inon 240x2. Different type of lighting(diode/lamp) affected the color of squid.
sorry for my english

#25 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

What a great set of images so far. This was my first year shooting a DSLR when I began to feel like I had a clue what I was doing. The first got the most views on Flickr, My first with over a 1000. Thanks Alex!

Posted Image

and this one was my first ever competition entry, and it won a prize in the Visions in the Sea show to benefit the Shark trust.

"Can't catch me" taken on my first trip with Jim Abernethy and the crew.

Posted Image

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#26 jkane

jkane

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

This school of akule, aka bigeye scad, is my favorite shot of 2009. It was taken on a shore dive in Kona with a Tokina 10-17. The school is ~40 ft wide and it must include thousands of the foot long fish. When agitated, the school adopted fast changing amoeba-like shapes. Later when calmed down, the school compressed into a tight ball as shown in this shot. It was an amazing day. _JLK4050.jpg

Jerry Kane - SeaLifeImages.net

#27 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

I didnt do alot of diving this year, so ill cheat my favorite photo this year was taken at millenium park chicago ill usa d300, hand held at dusk. I apologize to steve in advance

Attached Images

• _DSC0200_copy.jpg

Edited by vazuw, 28 December 2009 - 12:44 PM.

#28 Michael

Michael

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Here are mine:

Male Leatherback in the open ocean way offshore Florida (Gulf Stream). Taken with a D700, 16mm, 6 inch dome port, 1.5 Kenko Teleconverter, Aquatica housing and two Inon Z220s. This turtle is one of four seen and photographed in one unbelievable day. This magnificent animal is about 8 ft. long and almost 9 ft. from flipper tip to flipper tip. Shortly after the photo he tried to bite the camera and I had to push it off with my hand.

MPO09909.jpg

Young boy in Bali playing with a home-made jukung on the beach at sunset. Taken with a D2x, flash, 16mm on the last day of shooting for my new book, Wild Waters.

MPO03268.jpg

Very best wishes to all for 2010.

Michael Patrick O'Neill
www.mpostock.com

#29 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

I had to post two because I couldn't decide :)

Both taken in Bali at Tulamben, the snells window and sunburst was taken in April and the grouper in November
Two Fantastic trips.

dsc_1625.jpg dsc_3303_copy.jpg
....................... Nikon D300 f13 @ 1/320 60mm ..................................................... Nikon D300 f8 @ 1/320 Tokina 10-17........................

Nige Wade

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#30 buceo

buceo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

One of my best photos
I love it because I dream about it before dive and it was realize few minutes later.
Set with G9 + UWL100 + Z240 / SB105

Posted Image

#31 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

This was really hard for me as I've been lucky to do a lot of great diving this year. This one's not my best, but it brings back all the memories of the Sardine Run earlier this summer. What an adventure!

Sardine_Run_best_2009.jpg

BTW, I count 16 dolphins and 3 sharks in the pic :)

Best wishes to all for a happy and prosperous 2010!

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#32 JennyHuang

JennyHuang

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Great images!! :good:

This is mine:
Posted Image
The tail of Orange-lined Triggerfish. This was take in Tulamben,Bali. I love the simple beauty of this shot.

Happy New Year!! :)
Jenny's photos
D800, D700,INON Z240,Nikkor 16-35vr, 105vr,60,10-17,70-200,24,35,85

#33 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I never found a friendlier great barracuda that was willing to pose for my camera like this one before.
He was a good 1.5m long.

Posted Image

#34 edpdiver

edpdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

There are a lot of great photos posted. Here is one of mine that I like, both for the shot itself, and also for the memories it brings. It was taken at Pescador Island near Moalboal in the Philippines during a great trip I took with my wife and son during the summer of 2009.

Posted Image
Erwin Poliakoff, Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17 zoom, Nikkor 60mm, 85mm, 105mm macros
Nauticam NA-D7000V housing, Two Inon Z240 strobes

http://www.flickr.co...poliakoff/sets/

#35 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Every year or so Ningaloo Reef/Exmouth Gulf has a population explosion of red jellyfish for two or three weeks. This year we were blessed with clear water during the same period and I got several dives in with them before they disappeared again. This is my favourite, I call it Rocket Jelly:

Posted Image

Taken with Canon 50D, Tokina 10-17 @ 10mm and 2 x Inon Z240 strobes.

Edited by Gudge, 28 December 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#36 DULMEN

DULMEN

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

This is my favourite picture from 2009 ,this was take in Baltic sea until very nice diving

Attached Images

• P5010088.JPG

#37 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

it was pretty hard to choose. Diving this year was very different.
First time I dived in fresh water... but...
my favourite photo is squid couple dancing in the night.
I tried to do it for two years.
Posted Image
Indonesia, Lembeh. Canon 5D. Canon 100mm macro, Nexus, Inon 240x2. Different type of lighting(diode/lamp) affected the color of squid.
sorry for my english

This is a stunningly beautiful image! You mention a diode lamp,was this your flashlight which stimulated the colors. I presume the actual image was captured with the Inons.
Don't worry about your english, the image speaks for itself.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#38 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

There are plenty of excellent photos in this thread. Here's my effort: a well-placed frogfish that has taken on the rusty coloration of its shipwreck home.
Rusty.jpg

#39 Chet King

Chet King

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Dive travel and photography

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

This is my favorite image and underwater moment of 2009, I think we both had the same expression! Taken in Lembeh with a Canon 350D in an Ikelite housing and single 125 strobe.

Posted Image
Chet King

#40 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

I ummed and ahhhed about which photo to put in here

This photo was from the first underwater model shoot I ever did and It turned out surprisingly well. Also, the model is a dear friend of mine who's subsequently moved back to Sweden (otherwise of the world from me) so its also a nice momento of the friendship.

Posted Image

Cheers

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography