escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Happy New Year!!!

from Nusa Penida, Bali, Indonesia
Posted Image

Edited by escape, 28 December 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#42 aquaplane

aquaplane

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

There are plenty of excellent photos in this thread. Here's my effort: a well-placed frogfish that has taken on the rusty coloration of its shipwreck home.

Now THAT is a freaking cool froggie and backdrop!

Edited by aquaplane, 28 December 2009 - 08:08 PM.

#43 tri4funnow

tri4funnow

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:critters

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

It was the 2008 list that really got me excited about underwater photography. I read the forum weekly and I am learning so much. Thank you all for everything you contribute, the questions you answer, and the photos you share.

Here is my favorite because of the experience of having this guy dive down at my bubbles and tugging on my fins. I didn't care that the water was 49F and I was freezing. March 2009. Coronado Islands, Mexico.
Posted Image
Posted on flicker http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/422391...b6548a797_o.jpg

#44 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

I love pygmies and photographing them. Won a prize in a shootout at lembeh last year with a frontal shot of pregnant one with the fan polyps open. Didn't feel that shot was sharp enough and I was very happy when i got this shot when I went back to Lembeh this year in june. Sharpest shot i've gotten to date.

Posted Image

Taken with an Olympus E-3 in an ikelite housing and Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Nexus close-up wet lens and twin Inon Z-240 strobes.
Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#45 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

This is without a doubt my favorite picture from 2009. My heart wasn't in picture taking mode during this dive at all. It was taken at a spot named after a late friend of mine (Kawika Chetron) who had discovered it not long before he died. Visibility was so good that at first I thought we were in the wrong spot as we descended onto the site. The bottom is about 120 feet and we could see the bottom as we passed 20 feet. This is completely unheard of in Monterey Bay. I spent most of the dive feeling melancholy that my friend wasn't there to see such incredible visibility and I spent the first 30 minutes of the dive just swimming around in a bit of a daze. Near the end of our planned 40 minutes of bottom time I started to snap out of it and found this very small basket star sitting on a gorgonian. I'd shot it earlier in the dive but hadn't gotten anything decent. On a second look I got a different angle that I really liked. After looking at the image more carefully during the decompression I knew I had something special. Kawika was famous (infamous?) for only posting his very best work. He deleted better images than I have in my best of catalog. I'm the opposite kind of photographer and often post extra imperfect images to give a feel to a dive. On this occasion I only had the one image so the two ideals converged. I'm not sure I've ever done any better.

Posted Image

Clinton

Nikon D800, Nauticam Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#46 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

Funny, I looked at my photos from my dives in tropical areas this year (which comprised almost all of my diving...), and could not pick a favorite. Nothing jumped out at me. Guess I did not stretch my limits or explore creativity enough there. That will thus be a challenge for my next trip.

So I am picking this one, which is technically imperfect, taken a couple of weeks ago in my back yard in Puget Sound, in 48 degree fahrenheit water, shivering in my drysuit at night. A special little fish comes up from the depths this time of year, probably because he knows most divers don't like the cold this much. My first photo of a lumpsucker. Not my best photo, but a special one for me.

Posted Image

#47 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I was fortunate enough to do a lot of traveling this year and although I got a lot of good images, there weren't any that leaped out as an obvious "best". This is one of the ones that I really like. It is a common subject and is very simple but I love the rich colors and the sense of movement (It was in a blasting current). It was taken during a 4 day live-aboard trip along the Big Sur coast, which is as spectacular underwater as it is above. It is rarely diveable because it is so exposed.

Posted Image

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#48 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

2009 saw me moving to Far North Queensland and spending most of my time on the Great Barrier Reef with a camera in my hand (still or video). I've seen some great things since being up here, and have taken a bunch of shots I'm more than happy with. However, my favorite for the year was taken at my previous regular dive site - Julian Rocks off Byron Bay, NSW Australia.

I saw this flabellina rubrolineata get knocked off his rock by a wayward diver's fin, so took the opportunity to get some shots as he floated back down through the water collum.

Posted Image

Canon 40D in Aquatica housing, 60mm, 2x Z240's.

Have a great new years all, and happy shooting in 2010!

Ryan.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#49 jeroenwisman

jeroenwisman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Nice positing. I hope to see this little boy in 2010.

Happy New Year!

#50 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

I didn't get a lot of diving this year. I'm blaming my wife who broke her wrist and needed an op right before we were due to go to the Maldives, so we ended up with a staycation instead.

Anyway this was my favourite shot of the year. It was taken on shearwater on a wetpixel trip in the summer. My strobes were virtually dead when I took this and It was taking thirty seconds to recharge between shots but this attempt came out.

Posted Image

shot using a Nikon D200 with Tokina 10-17mm
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#51 Ingvar

Ingvar

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

This was a hard one! It gives a new meaning to "kill your darlings" when you are asked to select ONE picture from a whole year. Anyway, here we go:

Posted Image

This picture was taken during a liveaboard with Solmar V in November 2009. The trip took us to Socorro Islands, and this picture was taken at Rocca Partida, the most remote of the islands, where we had three days of outstanding diving. This may not be my best picture, but it is one of the pictures that I feel proud of, and that really represents one of these moments where you really feel privileged and humble. My buddy, the frog(man), is Anders Salesjo.

This pic was shot in ambient light with a Fujifilm S5 Pro and the Nikon 10,5mm/2.8 Fisheye in a Seacam housing.

Cheers and good luck, all of you, during 2010!

Ingvar Eliasson

Edited by Ingvar, 29 December 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#52 roydumlao

roydumlao

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

Posted Image
Correy

Here's a wide angle taken at Point Lobos, Monterey CA. of a good friend who passed away this year in a diving accident.

Nikon D80 with a Tokina 10-17MM, Ikelite with Dome, Inon Strobes

Edited by roydumlao, 29 December 2009 - 02:31 AM.

#53 dzwiad

dzwiad

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:04 AM

Taken at the end of a dive in PNG a 2 months ago, D700 in Aquatica, 16mm

20091021_24.jpg
betweenblue.com

#54 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hi all,

What an amazing collection of images. So much talent and inspiration....

I'm going to cheat too-sorry in advance. My first picture is of my wife Caron, in the Red Sea in November. Caron has suffered for the past two years with a really bad back condition, and this has seriously limited her diving. So this picture is for me a sign of her long slow and very brave return to full fitness.

Posted Image

My second cheating picture is one taken on a memorable dive on the Farne Islands, UK. We spent an hour and a half interacting with the a large group of rowdy and amazing seals. The level of interaction and excitement was amazing!

Posted Image

Once again thank you all for the advice and inspiration!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#55 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Like others tough choice, just like the shape...

Posted Image

#56 Tim Digger

Tim Digger

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Hyperbaric Medicine Dive Photography Walking and Climbing

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

I do like this thread!
Privileged to dive a lot this year including a trip with Alex and a group from the UK (mostly) to Raja Ampat. Thanks to Alex but also Graham Abbott (Premier dive guide) for an unforgettable time. The place that sticks most on that trip is the blue water mangroves of Nampele unlike anything else I've dived.
Happy safe diving to all.
Tim Diggerarchers103.jpg
Upgraded from D70s to Nikon D300s Dec2010. Lenses Sigma 17-70mm macro (non HSM) and 105mm macro. Tokina 10-17mm
Ikelite housing and DS125 and TTL converted DS50.

#57 Neptun 100

Neptun 100

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

I liked this one

Posted Image

Nikon D300 , 60mm , 2X DS125

Amir

Edited by Neptun 100, 29 December 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#58 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

2009 was a little different for me than in the past. In some ways it felt like I hit a wall. Especially when it came to getting the WOW shot. There seems to be so many of them coming in from all over the world and the digital age for U/W photography is maturing. So, I've kinda come to a crossroad. Do I spend hours looking for the rare shot or just work on being creative with what's presented?
I'm leaning towards the latter. This coming year will be spent working more on capturing patterns and texture. This photo was taken in Port Hardy, Canada and is one I'm pretty happy with:

Posted Image

Wishing everone the best in the coming year.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#59 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

2009 marks the year when I got my first FF camera and it gave me back the joy of uw-photography...
Now I have to decide each time to film or photograph.... aah...

I choose this image because it kinda shows what diving is to me. Weightlessness, Silence and Joy.

I wish you all a happy and healthy new year!

Posted Image
Best regards

Christian

Photo& Video: Canon 5D MkII - Ikelite housing - Ikelite DS-125 - Ikelite DS-50
Glas Canon 50mm Macro - Canon 100mm Macro - Canon 17-40mm
Video only: Sony HC7 - Topdawg II Housing and Light System - Gorillapod UW-Tripod
My Website with Pictures and HD movies Last update 01-2010

#60 lauadibob

lauadibob

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

To all those who are on my snail-mail list and received the holiday card - and to all those who are not - Happy Holidays!

Attached Images

• ron_lagerlof_DSO2009_parrotfish_wpxl.jpg