• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

My son, CJ, aged 11 at work at Elphinstone. An absolute delight to me...

Tim ... is the level on the camera a new addition? Is it useful underwater?
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#122 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Tim ... is the level on the camera a new addition? Is it useful underwater?

PM'd Jeremy...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#123 Snaphappy

Snaphappy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:scuba, land and U/W photography, kayaking

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

What an enjoyable thread! Thanks for sharing these incredible images everyone. ;)

Here's mine:

Posted Image

This was taken in the Channel Islands last September. This was my first and only time having the chance to dive with sea lions and it was a dive that I'll never forget. We were entertained by nearly a dozen of the playful pinnipeds and it was a riot to watch their antics. The weather cooperated too which was an added bonus! Robyn

#124 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

Always love this thread .. also love the way everyone is always so polite and waits for Alex to start it ;) It is his tradition after all.
Anyway .. not being in my normal home of Grand Cayman very much at the start of the year (due to certain immigration reasons) I missed out on the first half, then I bought my 5d mkii and have been scared of using the D60 for sake of me wanting to smash it to pieces (just no comparison once you have tasted the 5d)
So it turns out the only underwater photos I took this year were with my Olympus point and shoot at Stingray City.

This is my favourite from all of my trips out there purely because it was the best day ever (a week or two later we were snorkeling with a dolphin not too far from Stingray City too, but that photo isn't mine.

Posted Image
Stingray City - Giles Shaxted

oh and just for shits and giggles to show off that the dolphin is real (in Grand Cayman) here is the photo of him as it is a freakin special day when you get 45 minutes play time with a wild dolphin in Grand Cayman.

Posted Image

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#125 waterloodiver

waterloodiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Fluorescence Shot

my 1st UV night Dive

Bonaire, Oct 2009

Posted Image

#126 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Some amazing images presented here.

Usually my favourite image of the year comes out of Port Hardy BC in CANADA because I consider the diving there my home. That said I have to go with what I found to be one of my most challenging shots to accomplish yet not necessarily my most contest worthy shot.

I was snorkelling in the Galapagos in November and noticed the tail end of a white tip shark under a ledge. I dove down to take a look as I was disappointed to see that it was the tail facing out of the cavern and not the head. When I dove down I could see that there was some light on the face and went over the top of the ledge to see if there was another opening. I found a small hole and could see the light was touching the face of the White tip. Downside again, there was a large sting ray also under the ledge and I could not tell where the business end of it was. On top of that I had to try and wedge myself and my housing into the hole without blocking the ambient light. So housing in hand, no strobes and free diving I accomplished the shot. My most challenging image of 2009.

Attached Images

• _MG_6463__1_.jpg

Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#127 tazisonetoo

tazisonetoo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

This is one of my favorite photos cause it looks like the little guy is trying to hide, but it isn't working.

Attached Images

• 10125_125641136383_688861383_2467820_2843291_n.jpg

#128 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

This is not a "wow" critter...it hasn't got "wow" lighting, and the composition isn't that "wow" but i just love the happy expression on this globefish:

Posted Image

Happy Snapping,

Peter

#129 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Technically this shot wasn't taken in 2009. However, it was taken near the end of 2008. Since I didn't go on any trips in 2009, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no one will object too much ;) It was taken at Wakatobi Dive Resort and everything seemed to come together for this shot. I was using my Tokina 10-17 lens for the first time on this trip and was quite pleased with the results.

Posted Image
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#130 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

My "two" favorites of the year are from my last diving, the last day of the year, just in time.
Taken during a dive with some friends in the morning of Dic 31.

These are my favorites because I'm starting to understand the concept "get close, get closer".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Canon A590IS, Ikelite housing, 2xInon Z-240 type 4, Inon UWL-100 Wide Angle Lens Type 2
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#131 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Wow...love looking at these. Inspires me to work harder at my photography.

My favorite shot this year was taken in Cozumel in March. Our divermaster said that in 30 years of diving in Cozumel, he had never seen this behavior betweeen a moray eel and a shark. If you look closer, you will notice a grouper further back in the crevice. I managed to get a series of pictures - the first being of the eel laying down asleep and then waiting and taking pics as it "woke" up and then opened its mouth all the way. This is one of the pics in the series. For once I felt that I was in the right place at the right time for this one.

Cozumel_2009_071_eel_shark.jpg

DivverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#132 muppetcam

muppetcam

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

Sorry I'll try that again;
Have 2 I'm afraid - sorry!
The first is from a very enjoyable trip with Julian, Dave (Scubacam) and the legendary Rodney Fox, no matter how many times I photograph great whites the the buzz being this close is always electric. Plus what I really enjoyed about the Fox experience was the bottom cage that really gave a different photo opportunity than Guad or SA.
Posted Image
The 2nd is a wreck - never thought I would be posting a wreck however the time it took to get this right and the fact it sat at 30m and we had no nitrox made the result very satisfying. Plus the amount of time it took to train the batfish to swim towards the open door where I had the slave strobe hiding took forever!
Posted Image

#133 divocean

divocean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hello everybody,

Here's a photo from Port de la Selva, a small port on Spanish Costa Brava coast (mediteranean sea).

Posted Image

Best wishes for 2010 !
Olivier Delorieux
Underwater Portfolio : http://www.olivierdelorieux.fr
Land Portfolio : http://www.portfolio...ierdelorieux.fr

#134 razorrob

razorrob

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

Wow! Beautiful color. If you have a second tell us what you took the photo with (esp. strobes)! I'm trying to learn wide angle and it's a struggle!

Edited by razorrob, 04 January 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#135 divocean

divocean

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

Wow! Beautiful color. If you have a second tell us what you took the photo with (esp. strobes)! I'm trying to learn wide angle and it's a struggle!

Hi,

I used Nikon D80 body + 2 substrobes : my old favourite Ikelite SS200 + Nikon SB-105 (so all manual settings)
Lens: Tokina 10-17 !

BR

Olivier.
Olivier Delorieux
Underwater Portfolio : http://www.olivierdelorieux.fr
Land Portfolio : http://www.portfolio...ierdelorieux.fr

#136 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Great thread, as always. My only real dive trip in 2009 was 5 days in Rangiroa, Fr. Polynesia. Saw sharks and lots of turtles, but my favorite dive (albeit not best photo) was a magical encounter with two dolphins that swam with us for a bit. So I'm going to call this my favorite because it reminds me of that dive:

Posted Image

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#137 Bigeye Bubblefish

Bigeye Bubblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hello everybody,

Here's a photo from Port de la Selva, a small port on Spanish Costa Brava coast (mediteranean sea).

Posted Image

Best wishes for 2010 !

Superb... I hope that I'll have the chance to meet you in person in Paris for the Salon de la Plongée.
I'll have a couple of images displayed on CIPS booth.
Nikon D90 / Aquatica Housing / Aquatica 8" dome / Tokina 10-17mm / Sigma 17-70mm / ULCS Arms / Ikelite DS-125 & DS-160
Find me on flickr

#138 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I only did a few dive trips this year

March 2009 - Poor Knights New Zealand
Posted Image
My fav wide angle

May 2009 - Julian Rocks - Byron Bay New South Wales (Australia)

November 2009 - Bali, Indonesia
My fav macro
Posted Image

This year I want to go:
Bicheno and Eagle Hawk Neck, Tasmania
Somewhere in Papua New Guinea

#139 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

This was my first year shooting with a DLSR underwater, this was one of my favorites.

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#140 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

Thank you everyone for your contributions. Once again it is an inspiring collection.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).