"Y3K" Article

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

I know I haven't posted any new uw photos in a long time (since summer), and won't be doing so until at least next summer. In case you're interested in the reason, here it is! :)

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

I know I haven't posted any new uw photos in a long time (since summer), and won't be doing so until at least next summer. In case you're interested in the reason, here it is! :)

Thought you'd been pretty quiet for a while Bruce. Sorry to hear you have not been well; but very happy to hear you are now doing well and on the way to recovery.
All the best, hope 2010 sees you back in the water with a vengeance.
Jeff
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

Best wishes for 2010 with a fully-functioning kidney!

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

Really glad to see you back on your fins Bruce. Congrats on the article too.
Can't wait to see what you can accomplish in 2010.

Cheers partner,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Good to Hear Bruce - all the best for 2010 and hope to dive w/ you again asap.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

Nice to hear You are recovering Bruce! :)

Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

So glad to hear your op went well Bruce and such a marvelous achievement with the fund raising :) Its a real heart warmer to know that there are courageous people, friends and family out there ready to put themselves forward to help others in need ... God bless them ...

I will look forward to hearing how you get on in your new journey ...

Best regards

Dean ...
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 reefnet

reefnet

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

Hi Bruce. It's good to hear you're on the mend. Have a great year!

Les
ReefNet Inc. | www.reefnet.ca | 888-819-REEF or 905-608-9373

#9 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

HNY Bruce. Looking forward to seeing your photos once again.

John

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

HI Bruce, keep toughin it out and get better soon!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#11 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

Bruce -

With all the usual debates on these forums (endless nikon/canon battles etc.) it is refreshing to see a story that really reminds us what a joy and privilege it is to simply take underwater photos in the first place. I hope you can get back in the water asap and I look forward to seeing more of your work posted here on wetpixel. Additionally, I was wondering if you would post some information on your charitable work, I hope I speak for more than myself when I say I would be interested in learning more and potentially helping out.

cheers!

- MDP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

Bruce, here's wishing you a speedy recovery and may all y3k keep you going for many more years.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Simon Rogerson

Simon Rogerson

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

To the man with the smiley shark - get well soon! All the best for 2010, Bruce.

#14 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, everyone! I'm only about a week from the 3-month point, which is a big milestone (not only because my body isn't rejecting the new organ, but because my immune system will be recovered enough that I get to drop a handful of pills I've been taking every day...leaving only two handfuls that I have to KEEP taking! ;) ).

...I was wondering if you would post some information on your charitable work, I hope I speak for more than myself when I say I would be interested in learning more and potentially helping out.
cheers!
- MDP

I appreciate your interest, Matt. I have great respect for professional uw photographers (many here on Wetpixel) I've had the pleasure of meeting/diving with, but I already have a "day job", so I decided not to try to profit from my photography. Therefore, as people became interested in buying my photos, I decided to give the proceeds to charity. My first real effort in that regard was a calendar I produced of my uw photos, and gave the money raised (a little over $12,000) to the Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Foundation , a great organization doing research on curing PKD. Although I knew they wouldn't find a cure in time to help me, I am very impressed with their work that I honestly believe will be able within 15 years to help the thousands of people every year with PKD (many of them children).

The last few years, I've been donating all profits from prints, website sales, royalties and cash contest prizes to a wonderful little organization called the International Children's Surgical Fundation. My direct donations, plus my efforts to get others to donate, have apparently now been responsible for raising over $20,000 for ICSF - enough to pay for an entire medical mission of two teams of volunteer doctors and nurses to the Philippines (where ICSF has done more work than anywhere else) or someplace similar.

One thing I've discovered is that when you try to raise money for a good cause, people and other less tangible "forces" seem to work together to magnify your efforts. For example, as part of a cover shot and housing review article I wrote for Uw Photography Magazine , I ran an ad for ICSF aimed at uw photographers, and - after seeing the good that ICSF does - the editor (Peter Rowlands) made it a full page ad, as shown below.

Posted Image

Edited by bmyates, 04 January 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Bruce Yates
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#15 debersole

debersole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

Glad to hear you're doing better. Keep getting stronger and we will all be looking forward to more fantastic images from you in the future.
www.debersole.com

#16 zook

zook

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Wishing you a formula-1 paced recovery, back to the water with you, as soon as possible. Get well soon!

zook
visit my flickr page
www.csabatokolyi.com
Nikon D300s in Subal ND300s, Ikelite DS-125 x2, Nikkor 18-70, 60, 105VR, Tokina 10-17, ULCS arms

#17 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

Glad to hear you are doing well and what you do to support charity work is great.

Here's to a continued speedy recovery and looking forward to your new photos when you get back in the water....

#18 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

Good luck to you and hope you're in the water soon again. That 'lemon' (don't know if you call it that, but lemon would be a great name for the image) is one of the most memorable from last year(s) inmo. Question is, will you be shooting with three strobes as well?

cheers

#19 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

...Question is, will you be shooting with three strobes as well?

Took me a second to "get" that, but :D :) - good one!

(Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my "Cheshire Cat Grin" lemon shark shot.)

Bruce Yates

#20 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

Best wishes and fishes Bruce!

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr