109 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

Thanks David! It's a beautiful thing. Between you and Cor I'm sensing a trend. Thanks guys

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#22 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

lowepro_dividers_DQO4379.jpg I apologize for the photographs. All I had was macro lenses.

Shot 1-The LowePro stuffed to the gills at slightly less than 70#. AS a Continental elete frequent flyer I get 2 x 70# and Continental doesn't care much if the case is slightly bigger than standard. This was a trip to the Philippines. Unfortunately Continental no longer flys to Bali. To get below the elite 61# limit of economy 50# I simply and meet size regulations, don't use the outside pocket or use it sparingly.
Shot 2-The jumble of stuff in a opened case. The bag comes with padded dividers that need to be reconfigured for cases and strobes.
Shot 3-Closeup of dividers

Attached Images

• lowepro_dividers_DQO4379.jpg
  • LowePro_inside_DQO4378.jpg
  • LowePro_DQO4377.jpg

#23 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Since we're posting photos ;) Im traveling in four days so this is all ready to go. This bag holds:

• 2 x D2x housings
  • 4 x YS110 strobe
  • 2 x DP-FE2 domeport
  • 2 x DP-FP flatport
We have 4, but travel with only 2 of these and 2 duffel bags these days. The other holds dive gear, which doubles as a 'all wet stuff' bag on the way back. We use duffel bags for clothes and stuff because we have found out you can fit more stuff in them :) So between 2 people we have 4 bags. We also always carry an empty duffel bag with us. Each bag is around 50 pounds, so we carry about 200 pounds between 2 people. These hardcase bags are pretty light, but super strong. As you can see, it can hold some more stuff, but we dont.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

Hey Cor... nice shoes! ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 DrFiscus

DrFiscus

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, snow skiing, golf

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

Hey Cor... nice shoes! ;)

I am missing my little Nikonos V with the 15 mm lens and twin SB 105's more and more. Maybe TSA or the airlines will be the impetus for the digital Nikonos V or RS.
Ah - to dream...
Andy
Andy Malbin
DrFiscus@msn.com
www.oceandoctorshots.com

Nikon D200, D300, Aquatica housing, twin Ikelite DS 161's, Nikon 10.5, 60, VR105, Tokina 10 - 17, Sigma 17 - 70 HSM, Tokina 11 - 16

#26 dbh

dbh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

I use a photo backpack (can't remember which model Tamrac it is) in which I carry my housing, camera, lenses, 1 port, 2 strobes, batteries, chargers, etc. Basically I can shoot one lens (60mm or 105mm) with dual Z240's with what I carry-on....plus my laptop fits in it too. My regulator, computer and misc cords go in my my "personal item" bag. My backpack weighs way over 15 lbs, but I have found that some airlines will weigh traditional carry-ons....but not back packs. Of course you have to workout so when you sling it around it looks light :-).

Posted Image
Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Dual Inon Z240, Sola 600
Reef Photo

#27 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hi,
I travel with a lowpro Vertex 300 AW. I manage to get in 2x Sea&Sea 250 strobes + spare batteries, + cords, Sealux D200 Housing, Strobe arms, 1 domeport, 1 flatport, 3 extensionrings and 2 batterie chargers.
For emergency I have the Stealth photovest http://www.stealth-g...photo-vest.html I manage to get the 2 strobes, domport, flatport 2 spare batterries, and 2 extensionrings in the photovest. The rest stays in the bagpack

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#28 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

I use a Tamrac Speedroller 2 which is 45" overall and thus (mostly) carry-on legal. I can fit all the u/w gear in it: housing, 2 YS-250's, FE2 dome port (snug in it's own tupperware container), flat port, 3 extension rings, focus light, Stix arms and floats, sync cords, extra batteries and chargers. Best of all, it's pretty non-descript. Of course, it weighs 45 lbs! :D I've had it weighed once (DPS-LAX), but I begged and pleaded my way into taking it on. I know it's only a matter of time before it's taken away and relegated to the hold, but I've taken a good look at it and I'm (relatively) confident it'll be fine. My scuba gear and minimal clothes always weighs in at 50 lbs. (OK, sometimes 52 or 53) and is my only checked bag, so if my roller is taken away from me, I still have that bag in my allowance.

One thing I'm thinking of more and more is avoiding it being weighed at all. Coming from San Diego, I fly through LAX often. If possible, I like to schedule a little short-hopper from SAN to LAX so I get to check in at the sleepy little SD commuter terminal, even for connecting international flights. That way I have my boarding pass in hand for the long leg out of LAX and can avoid the evil gate agent. However, this doesn't help on the return.

After seeing Cor and Julie's set-up on a recent trip, I may just give in, go that route and just start checking the u/w photo gear - hauling around a 45 lbs. roller is a pain!

In a LowePro backpack I have my laptop, 2 camera bodies, lenses, back up hard drive and a little room for a book and emergency toiletries. Then again, this weighs in at 22 lbs. :drink:

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#29 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas guys. I'm still hung up on the 15lbs carry on. I finally gave in and just started weighing combinations. The best answer I've got so far looks like this.

Carry on
2 bodies, with these lenses; 60mm, 100mm, Tokina 10-17, 17-40L, 70-200 f/4L, and a 580EX flash along with a CF Card holder in a 3 lb backpack weighs in at 14.8lbs. I'm liking the look of the Think Tank Shape Shifter pack so I could still carry the laptop (my personal item) in one package. If you wear a Scottevest or similar you could find a spot for the other stuff like phone, gps, ipod, portable hard drives, etc. and still fully comply with the requlation.

My rig bag (Samsonite) will support 2 housings, ports and domes, 2 YS-250's and 2 110's along with the arms and the foam to hold it will come in right at 50lbs.

Anybody have a good source for thick pick & pluck foam sheets?

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 08 January 2010 - 11:29 AM.

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#30 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hi Steve
good to get this subject updated!

Here in the UK the typical weight allowance on flights is 20kg, with an additional 5kg for divers upon production of their dive certification.

My MO is to pack my housing (wrapped in lots of bubble-wrap) and my dome (held securely within a cake-tin!) into the middle of my check-in suitcase, along with a plastic tool box that contains batteries, chargers, stobe arms, etc.

Into my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300 goes my camera, lenses, port, strobes and MacBook:
Posted Image

And on the top of that rests my 'secret weapon', the Domke vest:
Posted Image

Upon arrival at the desk my first gambit is to put the check-in case on the scales and enquire if it's going to be OK. If not - and I've been carefully watching my check-in girl whilst queuing to see if she's getting passengers to weigh their carry-on too - I'll then produce the vest and explain that I'm a regular flyer, if I'm going to be charged for being over the weight limit I'll simply transfer all the items required into my vest and cargo pants. I also politely point out the obvious: that the same weight is going on the plane irrespective of the method of embarkation but that allowing me to leave it inside the cases means 'my fellow passengers and me will be less inconvenienced and that will credit her company against those who are soooo petty-minded as to insist I put the items into my pockets"!

So far this method has worked 4 out of the last 5 trips; the 5th time the girl insisted I carry all the excess in my vest, which I did until out of her sight - and then returned the items to the carry-on bag........

R

#31 s mermaid

s mermaid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Diving, travel & photography

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Are there new security rules for carry on bags? I hear that some air lines are not allowing carry ons when returning to the US. What are people doing with lap tops, cameras etc on returning to the US? What are people experiencing now? I'm trying to plan for a long trip.

#32 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Are there new security rules for carry on bags? I hear that some air lines are not allowing carry ons when returning to the US. What are people doing with lap tops, cameras etc on returning to the US? What are people experiencing now? I'm trying to plan for a long trip.

There was some discussion in this thread and I guess we all will find out more in the coming weeks and months.

[Moderator note: Threads merged for clarity]

#33 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

I also politely point out the obvious: that the same weight is going on the plane irrespective of the method of embarkation

Brilliant! Thanks for the idea Ralphy. I never thought to try logic at an airline counter. :D

The website is looking good by the way!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#34 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1569 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas guys. I'm still hung up on the 15lbs carry on. I finally gave in and just started weighing combinations. The best answer I've got so far looks like this.

Carry on
2 bodies, with these lenses; 60mm, 100mm, Tokina 10-17, 17-40L, 70-200 f/4L, and a 580EX flash along with a CF Card holder in a 3 lb backpack weighs in at 14.8lbs. I'm liking the look of the Think Tank Shape Shifter pack so I could still carry the laptop (my personal item) in one package. If you wear a Scottevest or similar you could find a spot for the other stuff like phone, gps, ipod, portable hard drives, etc. and still fully comply with the requlation.

My rig bag (Samsonite) will support 2 housings, ports and domes, 2 YS-250's and 2 110's along with the arms and the foam to hold it will come in right at 50lbs.

Anybody have a good source for thick pick & pluck foam sheets?

Cheers,
Steve

Steve:
I am not so sure that logic at the counter will work in any way, but I think that for the most part and excepting Brisbane you shouldn't worry too much about the 15 lbs limit. In a recent trip to the Philippines, through HK and Manila our backpacks were weighed but we were asked were there computers in them. We said yes (the 50D has a computer in it, right) and they smiled and let us on. We haven't been asked to check backpacks for overweight except in Brisbane and there it wasn't at the counter but rather at the security gate. No exceptions on what was in the bag, it had to be checked. For what its worth for many years we checked everything in a nice Storm case (now owned by Pelican) and with stickers from all over the world and never had issues except for TSA thinking it was a pelican case and trying to force open the latches. I like Cor's approach but if you think about the risks of stuff getting stolen, the security guys can either open the bag or x-ray it and so even if it looks like a piece of crap, they will know what's in it. For now at least, I think we will keep the ThinkTanks for carry on of a simple setup to take some pics if everything else gets stolen.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#35 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

I've been struggling with this mentally (not had another chance to dive yet) as well. I hate the idea of checking gear that can be stolen, but what it probably comes down to is - do we think TSA is doing the theiving, or the baggage handlers? I'd tend to argue that the primary theft risk is the latter, in which case its a matter of middirection as dhaas and cor are doing with ugly, non-photo-like checkable luggage. Anything in a rather obvious 'equipment case' looking bag might get rifled thru.

Breakage is then the second issue - still hoping I can get onboard with my Vertex AW300 with at least the more delicate stuff: lenses and camera bodies. Strobes, arms, housing and the like may well have to get shifted to the checked bag (which will almost automatically be overweight and get charged then) to get the carryon weight back down, if the limits really do get dropped. Last I checked American's site, dream-planning a Belize trip just last week, the regs were the same as they'd always been.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#36 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

do we think TSA is doing the theiving, or the baggage handlers? I'd tend to argue that the primary theft risk is the latter, in which case its a matter of middirection as dhaas and cor are doing with ugly, non-photo-like checkable luggage. Anything in a rather obvious 'equipment case' looking bag might get rifled thru.

It seems like every 2-3 years the is a report of busting AA baggage handlers in San Juan. Less eyeballs in that area. Even with increased security, this continues to happen.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#37 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

I just got back on saturday (Jan 16) from a trip to Little Cayman and didn't notice any changes in carry on allowance, at least on American Airlines. Checked the regulations before after hearing all the hub-ub, and same 40lbs carry-on with 1 personal item.

My carry on:
http
://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4227..._HDV_Case.html
with kata's roller dolly thingy.
with: Aquatica D700 housing with hard drive (wrapped in microfiber towel) inside
9.25" dome, macro port, 2x inon z-240's, nikon 300mm f/2.8 (for birds), D300 body
weighed in around +/-40lbs

my personal item may be pushing it but had no trouble:
http://www.bhphotovi...in_1_Sling.html
with: D700, 24-70mm f/2.8, tokina 11-16mm, sigma 15mm FE, 3 TC's, 60mm, 105mm, 70-200mm, flash.
weighed in around 19lbs.

my gf carried my laptop in her carry-on. arms, extension rings etc went in the checked bags.

this definitely exceeded requirements but had no trouble going Bermuda-Miami-Grand Cayman-Little Cayman and back. Had to check the large carry-on for the Otter plane to little cayman but can check it and pick it up at the plane. that was ok. cheers,

chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#38 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Brilliant! Thanks for the idea Ralphy. I never thought to try logic at an airline counter. :)

The website is looking good by the way!

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve
you're welcome on the idea.

And thanks to you, I'm going to review the site; it's been far too long since I freshened it up!!!!!!

Cheers

Ralph

#39 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Chris for updating us on a recent US flight. I'm with Richard and hate the idea of putting the housings in the hold but if you have to do it when flying international to the far east it makes sense to follow Cor's plan. We've got a trip coming up this summer that's got something like 10 flights in the itenerary for the month in Indo. That's why I'm really trying to nail this down. Has anybody shipped the gear over to Indo recently? UPS or FEDEX, something like that? Is that a real option?

Bill I think the problem in the past has been a few bad apples among the baggage guys. Hard for me to believe the Security folks would be a real concern. I still wouldn't go through San Juan if they paid me.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#40 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

When we did Little Cayman in September, I took my normal complement of gear: 1 Carry on with housing, body, 60mm, port, 1 strobe, chargers, laptop, regulator, dive computer, mask, 15" laptop: 36 lbs. 2 rolling bags with clothes and dive gear, my other lenses, spare body, 8" dome: 40 pounds each.

When we go to Galapagos in May they will have a restriction of 22 lbs. for carryon and 75 pounds checked luggage, so I will have to "consolidate" a bit. I'm thinking of carrying on my Lowepro flipside 400 (it weighs 3 1/2 pounds empty) with as much camera gear as I can get into it and stay under 22 pounds. I have a Dell Mini 9 with OSX on it for a nice little 2 1/2 pound travel computer.

I'm thinking of buying one of these for housing and other camera breakables plus clothes:

http://www.ebags.com...?modelid=143396

Only 10 lbs and hardshell.

My other bag for dive gear the REI Wheely Beast and it's been on several trips with me -- tough and light at 9 lbs. 8 oz.

If I have to pay more for my checked luggage, so be it. My gamble is going to be that thieves might not be as interested in my housing and strobes as my camera and lenses, so I'll keep my body and lenses in the carryon. Personally, I wish the airlines would charge for carryons instead of luggage; more people would check bags and I would gladly pay for my camera/computer gear to keep it safe.

Edited by johnspierce, 18 January 2010 - 08:34 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240