#101 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks partner,
Just a note, there are lots of places in the world that don't have the ability to open TSA locks. Depending on where your heading it might not be a big deal.

I ordered the foam for my old Samsonite yesterday. Found a place that was a little less expensive than B&H. It's called Foamerica.com . Saved a few dollars. Also ordered the Think Tank International 2.0 from our buddy Mike at H20 Photo Pros in California. They carry all the Think Tank stuff if you need it.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#102 jakelevenson

jakelevenson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

In my search for wearable carry-on I just happened to find this nifty coat. Thought I would share.

http://www.stealth-g...acket-vest.html
D700 in an Aquatica Housing, Sea and Sea YS-110a and YS17 Strobes, Ike DS-200's, a bunch of other gear that seems be outdated or flooded faster than I could ever afford to replace!

#103 slowhands

slowhands

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

...I'm still confused by the batteries. I've heard that some folks are getting to their location and finding the batteries have been removed. Did you consider putting them in your carry on?

Thanks for the picture and all the work to label your stuff!

Steve

TSA has had a restriction on Lithium batteries for years. I have never been bothered with this restriction, but I am aware of it. They enforce it spottily. See:
http://www.tsa.gov/t.../batteries.shtm

The reason is lithium burns in air and cannot be extinguished by the standard extinguishers on airplanes. Lithium primary batteries are the most concern, since most secondary batteries have thermal protection/fusing built in. To satisfy TSA, carry the spare batteries with the terminals covered, either with the original cover, or tape. That's supposed to be enough protection.

#104 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

In my search for wearable carry-on I just happened to find this nifty coat. Thought I would share.

That's pretty funny Jake. I love how the name it the "Stealth" coat.

I have finally stopped cutting foam and have the stealth Samsonite ready to go. As you folks have suggested I picked up the foam for the old case I had in the garage and started carving away. With two layers I was able to get everything in and have room to spare. It's configured for the big S&S Fisheye dome, the housing, 2 macro ports, the YS-250's, a pair of 110's, a set of ULCS arms and clamps the focus light and a few spare bits and pieces. The plastic bag is full of clamps and fits in the hole with the arms. The case currently weighs in at 42lbs so I have some room to still add a few.

With top layer in place, and with the top layer of foam removed to show what's underneath

Packing_4_2.jpg Packing_5_3.jpg

All ready to head to the airport. Too bad the flights not until July. :)

Packing_7_4.jpg

I put some shots of the Think Tank Bag in this thread.

Cheers, and thanks for all the help and advice.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#105 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Another fashion statement for airline travel .............

http://www.bigpocket...equatorial.html

#106 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

I just got back from Mexico and wasnt charged a penny for a total of 17kg extra (as well as our 10 kilos extra free) between 2 of us both ways ....phew! and we wangled extra legroom free too both ways! ....flight was with Thomson
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#107 GoinDown

GoinDown

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:51 AM

Two of us are heading out to Marsa Shagra in a couple of weeks from the UK with Thompson. So the free allowances are 20Kg hold + 5Kg diver allowance (total 25Kg hold which must be split across 2 bags) plus 5Kg carry on. What really annoys me is that this is a diving destination and yet their sports baggage policy specifically excludes diving gear, nothing to do with security or weight, just pure money making. An extra 10Kg's between the 2 of us will cost 50 pre-booked.

I've worked out two strategies for this trip. Firstly, if the flight is before 12 midday, then you can check-in hold luggage up to 10pm the day before, you get the boarding card at that time so that you bypass the checkin desk on the day, just go through security. They may stop you as you board the plane if it looks like you are carrying too much, but with a rucsack carry-on weighing 20Kg's I doubt they would bother to look twice!

Secondly a set of golf clubs costs 15 return, therefore pay for a set then pack 2 or 3 clubs and fill the rest of the space with holiday stuff and non breakable camera equipment such as cables, chargers etc).

Employ both strategies and I guess we could get away with an extra 25-30Kg's, giving a total of up to 90Kg's for 2 people for only 15 all in!
Now: Canon 5D Mk2, 15mm FE, 16-35 Mk2 (+2 Diopter), 100mm IS, Subal, FE2 Dome, 75 ext, 100mm Flat Port. DS-125's, DS-160.

Previous: Canon 20D, Ikelite, DS-125's

Gallery: Coming soon

#108 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:45 AM

I saw someone turn up for a dive once with a golf bag, I guess thats what he did. My coat weighed 6 kilos, with all the pockets filled up, works no bother, then stick it in your bag after check in
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#109 corone138

corone138

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

When I travel I pack my housings/strobes/ports/arms (and mask) in an Akona roller bag that meets carry on restrictions and fits in an overhead bin (except on smaller planes where I gate check it.) The loaded bag weighs in at JUST under 40lbs. I pack the bodies/lenses in a photo backpack. I also pack my laptop, reg, and dive computer the backpack. Airlines allow one carry-on (Akona Bag) and one personal bag (backpack). The Akona goes in the overhead and the backpack under the seat infront of me. Of course I check my dive gear and clothes in the belly. I have traveled mostly in the Carribean, Central America and Mexico (both coasts) in this manner and have had no issues (knock on wood). I shudder at the thought of checking my UW photo gear into the belly.

#110 GoinDown

GoinDown

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just a quick update on my trip to Marsa Alam, Egypt from Gatwick, UK. I paid 15 (return) for a golf bag (sports allowance) that ended up weighing 17Kg. My two hold luggage came to the max 25Kg (12Kg and 13Kg) and my hand luggage was 8Kg but was never weighed.

I changed all my luggage before the trip to Sub Zero G, cheap as chips from Argos http://www.argos.co....ds|Sub Zero G|1 (2 x 73cm cases and one roll-on total 85, 10 year guarantee), this was the most lightweight I could find , so saved 8Kg's just on empty luggage alone. Packed strobes, ports and laptop in cardboard boxes with bubble wrap protected with BCD, wetsuit, fins etc and lightweight foam to take up dead space in the bags. Housing, camera body and lenses went into my Sub Zero G roll-on. Clothes, shoes, batteries, chargers, cables, toiletries, sun tan lotion went into the golf bag (and a couple of clubs for good measure).

Top trip, top packing, nothing bent or broken, no check in hassles (I should add I'm not a pro and don't need spare everything).

Edited by GoinDown, 10 June 2010 - 07:29 AM.

Now: Canon 5D Mk2, 15mm FE, 16-35 Mk2 (+2 Diopter), 100mm IS, Subal, FE2 Dome, 75 ext, 100mm Flat Port. DS-125's, DS-160.

Previous: Canon 20D, Ikelite, DS-125's

Gallery: Coming soon