8 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hello, everyone. I thought it would be really great to have a place to post your favorite scientific papers about marine life or conservation.

I'll start:
If your paper is too large to upload as an attachment here in the forum, you can always upload them here with a message to me, and I'll add them to this list.

Links:

Stanford DNA study: Hunting minke whales on grounds of overabundance not justified

If you're a non-primary author of one of these papers, I'm sorry I cut your name off from the filename. I wanted something standard and it's impossible to put them all in!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

One needs to make sure of permission before posting. For example, here is the text of an email I received from Elsevier along with a link to my paper (I added the red emphasis):

"Article title: Characterization of carbon and nitrogen stable isotope gradients in the northern Gulf of Alaska using terminal feed stage copepodite V Neocalanus cristatus
Reference: DSRII2563
Journal title: Deep-Sea Research Part II
Corresponding author: Dr. Thomas C Kline
First author: Dr. Thomas C Kline
PDF offprint dispatch: 5-11-2009

We are pleased to inform you that a PDF file of your published article Characterization of carbon and nitrogen stable isotope gradients in the northern Gulf of Alaska using terminal feed stage copepodite V Neocalanus cristatus can be viewed at, and downloaded from:

http://authors.elsev...46ad1ca944afa6b

If you wish to order paper offprints or reprints, please contact our customer support team: http://epsupport.elsevier.com.
To order a copy of the issue, please contact your nearest Customer Service Department: http://www.elsevier.com/contacts.
Details on offprints and reprints: http://www.elsevier....locate/reprints.

The link to your article will be valid for 30 days from the sent date in this e-mail. Please note that this article is published, therefore content updates are no longer possible at this point.

To view and print PDF files you will need Adobe Reader (version 5.0 or higher). This program is freely available and can be downloaded from http://www.adobe.com...t/readstep.html.

Please save the PDF file of your article to your hard drive before the link becomes invalid. You can do this by clicking the above link and, once the PDF has opened, using the Save button on the Adobe toolbar.

With a view to copyright stipulations please be advised that:

This article was originally published in a journal published by Elsevier, and the attached copy is provided by Elsevier for the author's benefit and for the benefit of the author's institution, for non-commercial research and educational use including without limitation use in instruction at your institution, sending it to specific colleagues that you know, and providing a copy to your institution's administrator.

All other uses, reproduction and distribution, including without limitation commercial reprints, selling or licensing copies or access, or posting on open internet sites, personal or institution's website or repository, are prohibited. For exceptions, permission may be sought for such use through Elsevier's permissions site at http://www.elsevier....sionusematerial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTING AND COPYRIGHT POLICIES
As an author you retain significant rights for use of your own work, including the right to:
- Post a pre-print version of the article on various websites (with some exceptions)
- Make copies (print or electronic) of the article for your own personal use, including classroom teaching
- Use the article in a printed compilation of your own works
For more information on our full copyright policy please consult http://www.elsevier.com/authorsrights.

NEED HELP?
For all queries or suggestions regarding this service, please visit our customer support site at http://epsupport.elsevier.com. Here you will be able to search for solutions on a range of topics, including how to track your article online. You will also find our 24/7 support contact details should you need any further assistance from one of our customer service representatives.

This e-mail has been sent to you from Elsevier B.V., Radarweg 29, 1043 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands. To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), please add support@elsevier.com to your address book or safe senders list.

Copyright © 2009 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved. Please read our privacy policy at http://authors.elsev...m/privacypolicy.

[T-13b-17092008]"

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#3 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

How about a couple of papers on marine science and research diving/divers history?

Brueggeman (2003) Diving Under Antarctic Ice: A History

Price (2008) A Biography of Conrad Limbaugh

- Mary Lynn

#4 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Attached File  Taking_only_photographs_and_leave_only_footprints.pdf   266.68KB   515 downloads

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

Peeps
Please check the copyright of the document you are going to upload BEFORE you actually do upload. I'd hate for the authors to send incendiary emails to us about copyright issues.
Thanks

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

That's a good point Drew, but I am sure you won't get any flames from the authors (unless it is a book). If they are just articles, the authors will be glad to see them spread in as many sources as possible. The PUBLISHERS are the ones that hate seeing PDFs free on the web because they are the ones that profit from the articles. Having said that, here are links for a few of my articles that may be of interest, first the free ones:

Rocha et al. 2008 - Population genetics of Chromis multilineata

Randall and Rocha 2009 - Description of Halichoeres claudia

Randall and Rocha 2009 - Description of Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#7 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

And here a few that you will only have access if you subscribe to the journal or access it through a library that does:

Rocha et al. 2005 - Ecological speciation in tropical reef fishes

Rocha et al. 2007 - Phylogeography and the conservation of coral reef fishes

Rocha et al 2007 - Speciation in Coral Reef Fishes

Floeter et al. 2007 - Atlantic reef fish biogeography and evolution

I think these are the most general ones...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Luiz
Publisher or author, it's just polite to ask before one does uploads it to avoid complications.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Interesting topic - scientist do the work and write the ms and also review them but publishers claim copyright. Of course, without publishers most ms would not see the light of day but that is changing.

With PDFs the publication and distribution costs are much lower. Newer fully online journals allow scientists a lot more liberty to share their work. Also some journals now have blind reviews - another step in the right direction.

My work focuses primary on cephalopods and as much as possible (Exa. I post my work until someone complains) is available online here: http://www.thecephal...rg/JWood/cv.php If you are suffering from insomnia, I highly recommend my 300+ page thesis. . .

James

Publications

Peer Reviewed

Byrne, R.A., Wood J.B., Anderson R.C. and Griebel U. 2010. Non-invasive methods of identifying and tracking wild squid. Ferrantia 59, 22-31. Get the pdf

Wood J.B., Pennoyer K.E. and Derby C. D. (In press) Ink is a conspecific alarm cue in the Caribbean reef squid, Sepioteuthis sepioidea. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology

Anderson R.A., Wood J.B., Mather J. (In press) Diet of Octopus vulgaris in the Caribbean: Variety is the spice of life. MEPS

Zeeh K.M. and Wood J.B. (In Press) Impact of Visible Implant Elastomer Tags on Growth Rates of Captive Caribbean Reef Squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea). Fisheries Research.

Replinger S.E. and Wood J.B.. (2007) A preliminary investigation of the use of subcutaneous tagging in Caribbean reef squid Sepioteuthis sepioidea (Cephalopoda: Loliginidae). Fisheries Research. Vol 84, 308-313.

Melzner F., Forsythe J.W., Lee P.G., Wood J.B., Piatkowskia U. and Clemmesena C. (2005) Estimating recent growth in the cuttlefish Sepia officinalis: Are nucleic acid based indicators for growth and condition the method of choice? JEMBE. 317: 37-51.
Get the pdf

Semmens J.M., Pecl G.T., Villanueva R., Jouffre D., Sobrino I., WoodJ.B. and P. R. Rigby. (2004) Understanding octopus growth: patterns, variability and physiology. Marine and Freshwater Research. 55, 367-377.
Get the pdf

Wood J.B. and Anderson R.A. (2004) Interspecific evaluation of octopus escape behavior. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 7(2), 95-106.
Get the pdf

Wood J.B., Byrne R.B. Monks N. (2003) Coleoid cephalopods through time and cyberspace: using CephBase to examine behavior and selection. Berliner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen. 3: 261-266.
Get the pdf

Byrne R.A., Griebel U., Wood J.B. and Mather J.A. (2003) Squid say it with skin a graphical model for skin displays in Caribbean Reef Squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea). Berliner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen. 3: 29-35.

Anderson R.A., Wood J.B. and Byrne R.A. (2002) Octopus senescence: the beginning of the end. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 5(4): 275-283.

Anderson R.A. and Wood J.B. 2001 Enrichment for giant pacific octopuses: happy as a clam? Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 4: 157-168.
Get the pdf

Adamo S.A., Brown W.M., King A.J., Mather J., Mather L., Shoemaker K.L., and Wood J.B. 2000 Agonistic and reproductive behaviours of the cuttlefish Sepia officinalis in a semi-natural environment. Journal of Molluscan Studies. 66: 417-419.

Wood J.B., Day C.L., Lee P.G., and O'Dor R.K. 2000. CephBase: testing ideas for cephalopod and other species-level databases. Oceanography 13(3):14-20.

Wood J.B. and O'Dor R.K. 2000. Do larger cephalopods live longer? Effects of temperature and phylogeny on interspecific comparisons of age and size at maturity. Marine Biology 136(1): 91-99.
Get the pdf

Wood J.B. 2000. The natural history of Bathypolypus arcticus (Prosch), a deep-sea octopus. PhD Thesis, Dalhousie University.
Get a pdf copy, 14.5 MB)

Wood J.B. and Wood D.A. 1999. Enrichment for an Advanced Invertebrate. The Shape of Enrichment. 8(3): 1-5.

Wood J.B., Kenchington E. and O'Dor R.K. 1998. Reproduction and embryonic development time of Bathypolypus arcticus, a deep-sea octopod (Cephalopoda: Octopoda). Malacologia 39(1-2): 11-19.

Books

Mather J.A., Anderson R.C. and Wood J.B. 2010. Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate. Timber Press. 240pp.

Reports and book chapters

Wood J.B. and Jackson K.J. 2005 Bermuda's Marine Biodiversity. In: Caribbean Marine Biodiversity: The Known and the Unknown. Miloslavich P. and Klein E.(EDS). DEStech Publications, Inc., Lancaster, PA. 324pp.

Wood J.B., Zhang P.Y., Costello M.J. and Grassle F.J. 2005 An introduction to OBIS (www.iobis.org). In: Caribbean Marine Biodiversity: The Known and the Unknown. Miloslavich P. and Klein E. (EDS). DEStech Publications, Inc., Lancaster, PA. 324pp.

Wood J.B., O'Dor R.K. and U. Piatkowski. 2001 Introduction to CephBase www.cephbase.utmb.edu ACP-EU Fisheries Research Report No. 8, ACP-EU Fisheries Research Initiative, ISSN 1025-3971, 44-49.
Get the pdf

Piatkowski U. and Wood J.B. 2001 Cephalopods: What makes them an ideal group for an Internet database. ACP-EU Fisheries Research Report No. 8, ACP-EU Fisheries Research Initiative, ISSN 1025-3971, 39-43.
Get the pdf

Popular

Anderson R.C. and Wood J.W. 2009. Feeding Octopuses Live Crabs is Good Enrichment. Drum and Croaker. Vol. 40, pgs 9-11.

Wood J.B. and Anderson R.C. (2009) Keeping captive cephalopods. Marine Fish and Reef USA. 11: 18-31.

Wood J.B. and Joshua Wiegert . (2008) Coral Reproduction. Marine and Reef USA

Wood J.B. and Zeeh K.M. December (2007) Fluorescence: Aquarium Glow Lights. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine.

Wood J.B. and Zeeh K.M. March 2007. Bioluminescence: Fireworks in the Night. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine.

Worthington R. and Wood J.B. 2003 Top 50 Signs That Your Octopus is Getting Out of Hand. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine.

Wood J.B. 2002 What we don't know about nautilus. Tentacle, no. 10, Jan. 2002, pgs 22-23.

Wood J.B. 1999. The Importance of Stability in Aquariums. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. vol. 22, no. 4.

Wood J.B. and Wood D.A. 1998. James's Rearing Chambers. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. vol. 21, no. 12.

Wood J.B. 1998. Cuttlefish Husbandry. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. vol. 21, no. 7-10.
Part 1, July 1998
Part 2, Aug. 1998
Part 3, Sep. 1998 (plus cover photo)
Part 4, Oct. 1998

Wood J.B. 1995. Raising and Rearing Octopus briarieus In: The Journal of Maquaculture (The Breeder's Registry) . vol. 3, no. 2.

Wood J.B. 1994. Don't Fear the Raptor; an Octopus in the Home Aquarium. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. vol. 17, no. 4.

Wood J.B. 1991. Carpet Crisis. Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. vol. 14, no. 11.
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page