• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

I saw these in a dive shop in florida when i was there a couple weeks ago. Just looked at the HP hose, and it was very thin (will turn some heads on the dive boat), lightweight and flexible. Looks like the LP hoses are thicker, which i'd hope for good airflow. Apparently introduced at this past DEMA. Very tempting, though i usually avoid brand new technology until its been proven.
http://www.xsscuba.c...flex_hoses.html

Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#2 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

I saw these in a dive shop in florida when i was there a couple weeks ago. Just looked at the HP hose, and it was very thin (will turn some heads on the dive boat), lightweight and flexible. Looks like the LP hoses are thicker, which i'd hope for good airflow. Apparently introduced at this past DEMA. Very tempting, though i usually avoid brand new technology until its been proven.
http://www.xsscuba.c...flex_hoses.html

Miflex low pressure hoses have been around for many years, overseas. They were first imported to the US a couple years ago... I was one of the first to use and report on them. I like them quite a bit.

The HP hoses, however, are very newly developed and have been having some issues. I'm staying away from them until things prove more reliable.

#3 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

ahh i see, maybe the dive shop owner was trying to work me saying they were brand new and just introduced at DEMA this year. or maybe that was just the HP ones. Can I ask what the issues with the HP hoses are?

Maybe i'll spit out for some LP ones now then. I do dive a 5 foot primary 2nd stage hose, any word on how they perform/sit differently when wrapped under arm and around the head? Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#4 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

ahh i see, maybe the dive shop owner was trying to work me saying they were brand new and just introduced at DEMA this year. or maybe that was just the HP ones. Can I ask what the issues with the HP hoses are?

Maybe i'll spit out for some LP ones now then. I do dive a 5 foot primary 2nd stage hose, any word on how they perform/sit differently when wrapped under arm and around the head? Cheers,

Chris

Yes, the HP ones are new as of 2009.

There are many reports of the HP hoses blowing off, you can read many on DecoStop and ScubaBoard. Issues with the crimping. Maybe a bad batch, but there have been enough that I, personally, am staying away.

I suspect you'd love it. I really like mine (7' primary, necklaced secondary, LP inflator and drysuit). The only issue I have with mine is it's a bit slippery so my canister light sometimes doesn't hold it as securely as the rubber ones, but that's not an issue with the 5' hose routing.

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hi all,

The LP hoses have been around here in the UK for a while now, and are very light and seem durable. The only drawback is that they float-which with a long hose can be a real pain. I use the miflex's for all the inflator/backup hoses, but stick to a rubber one for my primary/long hose to avoid this.

The HP hoses do seem to have had a few problems-for photography I'm hoseless (air integrated wireless computer!) anyway!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:20 AM

Hi all,

The LP hoses have been around here in the UK for a while now, and are very light and seem durable. The only drawback is that they float-which with a long hose can be a real pain. I use the miflex's for all the inflator/backup hoses, but stick to a rubber one for my primary/long hose to avoid this.

The HP hoses do seem to have had a few problems-for photography I'm hoseless (air integrated wireless computer!) anyway!

Adam

I don't see any pain, myself. With a 7' hose, it's held under the light canister. Can't really float up. With the 5' hose it's held under your arm. What's to float?

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

I don't always dive with a canister!

If you just tuck the end into your harness, it will come out, and the whole lot then floats up. I don't use a 5 foot hose-I use a long hose to facilitate easy gas sharing, and to allow me to exit an overhead with an out of gas diver in front of me-5 foot doesn't let me do either of these!

Just my thoughts....

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#8 bkkchriss4

bkkchriss4

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

I dive a 5ft with a short bungied for my backup. Have all miflex and a HP miflex as well. No problems whatsoever and I love them so far. Very light, very flexible. They have a weird memory to being curled up, but once they are on my rig it doesn't affect them at all.

I have a separate, less hoses, rig with a regular bc, integrated air backup and a wireless air/comp, but love the backplate with all the hoses more so even take that for travel - people on the tropical trips do look at the rig odd!

Edited by bkkchriss4, 21 January 2010 - 10:28 AM.

Olympus OM-D

#9 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

I don't always dive with a canister!

If you just tuck the end into your harness, it will come out, and the whole lot then floats up. I don't use a 5 foot hose-I use a long hose to facilitate easy gas sharing, and to allow me to exit an overhead with an out of gas diver in front of me-5 foot doesn't let me do either of these!

Just my thoughts....

The few dives I've dove without my canister, I've tucked the 7' hose into my waist strap, where it stayed... same as being tucked under the canister.

I use a long hose for the same reason... I guess I haven't had the difficulties you have had keeping the hose where it belongs. *shrug*

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

I use the miflex for about 4 years on my simple rig (just spg and 2nd stage) and about 4 mths with the new hp hose. It's really light and flexible. I've only used the LP for about 200 dives and the hp about 50 dives, with no issues yet. Shortened all my hoses by a few inches as well due to the flexibility. Less drag as well.
I do remember a story that the HP blowouts were due to a bad batch but I can't remember who I heard that from. Best to check with the manufacturer for verification.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

http://www.xsscuba.c...ety-recall.html

There's a recall for MiFlex HP hoses. I had one blow on me just 3 weeks ago. Too good to be true!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#12 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Glad I saw this... we just bought ours beginning of this year so they're likely in the recall batch. Survived nearly 30 dives, but not taking any chances. Thanks for the link.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#13 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for that Drew. Had heard rumours of people having issues, but never someone in person. Will have to change mine out as they not really worth the weight saving.

E
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#14 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

The recall is just for the High pressure hoses, the pencil thin one.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#15 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, that's what I got. We switched out of heavier-weight hoses and a 'swivel' fitting to a 2-port console (one for the gauge, one for a puck computer and compass on the back) since we've both switched to wrist computers. So I got the thin hoses and a couple of small Aeris pressure gauges (computers aren't air-integrated, we don't dive often enough to justify the cost and battery issues). Fortunately I did keep one of the consoles just with an empty boot hole, so if I can't get my hoses replaced b/f my mine trip beginning of June I do have a standard-hosed SPG.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#16 seafan

seafan

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Think I read that the HP hoses being recalled were made prior to 2009...but better checking with them to find out for sure!
May all your bubbles reach the surface before you do!!!

#17 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Drew linked the webpage direct from XS. Says sold "after May 2009". PDF itself says its for those "manufactured between May 2009 and December 2011".

I probably bought early Jan 2012 (still looking for receipt, although PDF says isn't required) since the dive trip I was reconfiguring for was late Jan into Feb, so high odds mine falls in that range.

#18 seafan

seafan

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Drew linked the webpage direct from XS. Says sold "after May 2009". PDF itself says its for those "manufactured between May 2009 and December 2011".

I probably bought early Jan 2012 (still looking for receipt, although PDF says isn't required) since the dive trip I was reconfiguring for was late Jan into Feb, so high odds mine falls in that range.

Guess that means I need to send mine in.... I bought it from them at DEMA 2010!

Edited by seafan, 21 April 2012 - 03:24 PM.

May all your bubbles reach the surface before you do!!!

#19 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

I bought a Miflex HP hose in November 2011 and after approx 50 dives it exploded while i teached a pool - fortunately - class.
I use Miflex hoses for regulator and Octopus and never had issues but i would NOT recommend those hoses to use as HP hose.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#20 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just got my replacement HP hoses. Looks like they're a little bit thicker than they were, and there's clearly a much beefier end. My only real complaint is that I sent them 2-26" and one 32" hoses...and got back 2-24" and one 32" hoses. That 2" is a lot shorter for my SPG, considering my current regulator port locations. I'm hoping my new reg (haven't assembled it yet) makes it more acceptable. (New reg came with the miflex LP hose for the primary, but standard yellow rubber for the octo). I'll be diving with all the above in about 2 weeks (Bonne Terre mine, my first real drysuit experience, whoopie!)