• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bankam

bankam

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

I am trying to figure out if I need a diopter for the Sigma 17-70 On a Nikon D300, Ikelite housing with the 8inch port.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

Not sure about your particular port, but as the Sigma focuses very closely, I doubt you'll need a diopter.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have the same setup. Ikelite D300 , 8" port, Sigma 17-70HSM. I picked up a +3 diopter last month to see if it might help with soft edges at 17mm.

I used it a couple of weeks ago with pretty good results, but it really did not make any improvements to the soft edges. I don't see any significant difference with the diopter or without. The lens is already sharp at 70mm and the soft corners at 17mm go away once you zoom out just a bit.
I may give it one more try, but I don't think I would recommend the diopter at this point.

I prefer my Sigma 15mm fisheye for true wide angle work. The 17-70 is fun and flexable, but the 15 is super sharp and fast.

#4 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

The other thing you might try is an extension ring. But stopping down is probably the best answer.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

#5 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:10 AM

I have the same setup. Ikelite D300 , 8" port, Sigma 17-70HSM. I picked up a +3 diopter last month to see if it might help with soft edges at 17mm.

Are you sure you have the HSM version?
Ikelite claims that: "lens diameter is too large to operate in port system"!

I've very interested in the sigma 17-70 macro and as I also have a D300 in an Ike housing with 8" DOME and as the non HSM version is really hard to find: so how did you managed to make it fit!?
Nikon D7000, Ikelite housing and strobes, SOLA 1200 video lights.

#6 Davidjefferiss

Davidjefferiss

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

Are you sure you have the HSM version?
Ikelite claims that: "lens diameter is too large to operate in port system"!

I've very interested in the sigma 17-70 macro and as I also have a D300 in an Ike housing with 8" DOME and as the non HSM version is really hard to find: so how did you managed to make it fit!?

If you look at the lens specs the HSM and the DC versions have the same diameter (79mm). I have used the DC version with an Ike 8" dome. It took a bit of work to fiddle the zoom gear, but I got it to work.
I'm interested in getting the 17-70 HSM too - does anyone know if it works with the small Ike dome?

#7 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

If you look at the lens specs the HSM and the DC versions have the same diameter (79mm). I have used the DC version with an Ike 8" dome. It took a bit of work to fiddle the zoom gear, but I got it to work.
I'm interested in getting the 17-70 HSM too - does anyone know if it works with the small Ike dome?

Interesting!
I think we need to contact Ikelite to find out what's going on.

#8 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

I definately have the HSM version of the Sigma, and it does work in the Ikelite 8" dome. There is a caveat to this however. You can't use the normal spring collar that is supposed to mate up with the zoom ring. This would be too tight and the plastic collar would not fit. I just put a velcro strip around the zoom barrel of the lens, and then some extral little bit of velcro that line up with the tabs in the zoom collar. This works perfectly well, and it is very simple and maintainable.

I like the 17-70 HSM a lot, just don't expect the sharpest of corners at 17mm. It's a good, fast, flexible lens and I've taken some really good photos with it.

Dave

#9 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

I definately have the HSM version of the Sigma, and it does work in the Ikelite 8" dome. There is a caveat to this however. You can't use the normal spring collar that is supposed to mate up with the zoom ring. This would be too tight and the plastic collar would not fit. I just put a velcro strip around the zoom barrel of the lens, and then some extral little bit of velcro that line up with the tabs in the zoom collar. This works perfectly well, and it is very simple and maintainable.

I like the 17-70 HSM a lot, just don't expect the sharpest of corners at 17mm. It's a good, fast, flexible lens and I've taken some really good photos with it.

Dave

Neat!
Would you mind posting some pictures on your home made velcro zoom thingy?

Is it a vinjetting problem in 17mm?

I know realise that there are actually 3 version of the lens. DC, DC HSM and DC OS HSM.
Which one is it that you have?

According to sigmaphoto.com all three lenses have a diameter of 79mm.

Edited by Segerdahl, 03 February 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#10 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

There is no vingetting of the lens even at 17. I don't have the shade on my port, but I have not heard of this being a problem.

The specific Sigma 17-70 I have is the HSM. I bought it about a year ago, and the DC is no longer generally for sale and the OS was not yet available. I read the Ikelite restriction notice, so I attempted to get what I thought would be the DC. Turned out to be the HSM, so I just played around with it and tried some tweaks that would allow the zoom ring to work. The velco strap seemed like the simplest approach to me.

I'm away from home for the next week, but I'll get a photo of the setup posted when I return.

Dave

Neat!

Is it a vinjetting problem in 17mm?

I know realise that there are actually 3 version of the lens. DC, DC HSM and DC OS HSM.
Which one is it that you have?

According to sigmaphoto.com all three lenses have a diameter of 79mm.

#11 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Neat!

I have a couple of photos of my Sigma 17-70 HSM with the velcro strap replacing the usual spring collar. I show the unused sping part on the side just for reference. The setup is very simple and allows the use of this lens in an Ikelite housing that would not otherwise be possible.

Velcro:
Sigma_Zelcro__Medium_.JPG

Zoom Ring:
Sigma_Zoom_Ring__Medium_.JPG

#12 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

This might not apply with the Nikon HSM setup but one main problem I had with my Canon 17-70mm with a diopter in the Ikelite 8 inch is you hit the dome with a diopter on and lose a bit of zoom as a result, due to how far the lens extends at the 70mm end.

I was a bit worried I was going to scratch the inside as a result.

Otara

#13 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Not a problem. There is clearance with a diopter in my setup.

This might not apply with the Nikon HSM setup but one main problem I had with my Canon 17-70mm with a diopter in the Ikelite 8 inch is you hit the dome with a diopter on and lose a bit of zoom as a result, due to how far the lens extends at the 70mm end.

I was a bit worried I was going to scratch the inside as a result.

Otara

#14 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

I have a couple of photos of my Sigma 17-70 HSM with the velcro strap replacing the usual spring collar. I show the unused sping part on the side just for reference. The setup is very simple and allows the use of this lens in an Ikelite housing that would not otherwise be possible.

Thanks for posting the pics. I just got the new HMS OS 17-70 and was weary on using the awkward Ikelite spring collar and scratching my new lens. This looks much easier and safer (maybe post in DIY forum?)

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714, 10 February 2010 - 12:50 AM.

7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#15 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Can someone please post the right S&s gear for the sigma 17-70 HSM?? #56350 doesn't fit, it's for the old version of the lens.

Jack

Jack Connick

#16 coloradodawn

coloradodawn

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

Can someone please post the right S&s gear for the sigma 17-70 HSM?? #56350 doesn't fit, it's for the old version of the lens.

Jack

Did you get an answer to your question? I am looking into getting sigma 17-70 HSM, S&S housing also. Can't seem to find the answer on the forum.
Larissa Roorda, Denver-CO, USA

#17 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

I talked with Ryan Canon of Reef Photo and Video. He says that the HSM 17/70 does NOT fit in a Seatool port because it is too fat with a zoom ring on. No I have one coming (that I'll return) but I do have an Ikelite zoom ring that I'll try to slip over the lens. You will know soon.

Tom

#18 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

The new Sigma 17-70mm are just about the same diameter as the Canon 100mm macro lenses (new and old) so you might want to try using this gear for the Sigma, I know you can use the same gear for both Canon 100 and Sigma 17-70mm HSM with our housing, not sure if it will work with the Sea & Sea, but worth investigating, good luck.

Edited by Viz'art, 06 April 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#19 coloradodawn

coloradodawn

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

The new Sigma 17-70mm are just about the same diameter as the Canon 100mm macro lenses (new and old) so you might want to try using this gear for the Sigma, I know you can use the same gear for both Canon 100 and Sigma 17-70mm HSM with our housing, not sure if it will work with the Sea & Sea, but worth investigating, good luck.

Thank you!
Larissa Roorda, Denver-CO, USA