• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

I bought a Tamron 90mm Macro because I thought it would be a good compromise for both my D200 and D700 outfits. I was disappointed that the auto focus worked intermittantly on all the cameras I tried and when it did it hunted alarmingly. So I went back to the dealer who confirmed its auto focus didn't work - so he offered to swap it. We went through his whole stock and found that nearly of all the Tamron 90mm Macro lenses he had (5 or 6) only one worked and I was reluctant to find that it stopped working when I went to use it - so I swapped it for a 60mm Nikon lens.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Tamron 90mm on a Nikon or was this just a bad batch? I think it might be to do with manufacturing tolerances.

Edited by John Bantin, 27 January 2010 - 06:40 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 tie

tie

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

I have only tried one Tamron 90 for Nikon and the autofocus worked as it should. This was before the new versions that I think have a built-in motor, but it still sounds like a bad batch.

#3 KenByrne

KenByrne

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:03 AM

I have a Tamron 90mm macro and use it on my D80 without any problems. The version I have doesn't have a motor in it.
Ken Byrne
D70, Ikelite Housing

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

I have a Tamron 90mm macro and use it on my D80 without any problems. The version I have doesn't have a motor in it.

It sounds like they are having trouble with the focussing motor contacts. History to me 'cos I went to a Nikon lens instead.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 ians.moyes@gmail.com

ians.moyes@gmail.com

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, photography, computers. Pretty much anything geeky. lol

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

It sounds like they are having trouble with the focussing motor contacts. History to me 'cos I went to a Nikon lens instead.

This is interesting. I have a Tamron 18-200 and a 70-300. The 18-200 is my "walking about" lens. I find it's intermittent in autofous and, sometimes, my D60 says it can't find the lens at all!

I'm thinking about buying the 60mm macro but, on reading your post, I'm thinking harder. It IS a full F stop faster than the Nikon one.

Edited by ians.moyes@gmail.com, 08 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Wreck divers are always bringing up the past

#6 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have a Tamron 90mm for Canon and the autofocus works fine. On the Nikon version of the lens, does changing focus cause the lens to change lengths signficantly? This happens for the Canon version so I decided to stick to the Canon 60mm and 100mm lens to put in my housing since the focus mechanism for those lenses is internal.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch