• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Well; anyone think the iPad will ever be useful to photographers. Will there be a way to use it as a download / storage device maybe.
Basic Image editing may be feasible.
Any ideas?
Who knows it may save us - http://www.luminous-...e.com/whatsnew/

Edited by loftus, 27 January 2010 - 12:10 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

I can see it being very cool tethered to the camera and used in conjunction with live view - live view on a big portable screen.

Will there be a way to use it as a download / storage device maybe.

Maybe if this had come out 5 years ago. But since you can get SD / CF cards that are as large or larger than the amount of storage that will be available on this thing, there is not a lot of point to it...

As far as a using it for image editing on the boat. I suppose it's possible. But I'm not sure why anyone would choose this over an old laptop that would cost half as much, be 2x as powerful and would have a keyboard.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#3 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

I can see it being very cool tethered to the camera and used in conjunction with live view - live view on a big portable screen.

Maybe if this had come out 5 years ago. But since you can get SD / CF cards that are as large or larger than the amount of storage that will be available on this thing, there is not a lot of point to it...

As far as a using it for image editing on the boat. I suppose it's possible. But I'm not sure why anyone would choose this over an old laptop that would cost half as much, be 2x as powerful and would have a keyboard.

It runs the a variant of iphone OS, so no LR or Ap. yet.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#4 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

Pretty lame and definately not useful for photo editing.

1) No phone, not even via bluetooth
2) Screen res is 1024x768. Too low for good photo editing. Most netbooks today are higher than this.
3) Also the screen is 4:3 which is bad for movies & tv shows.
4) No usb ports
5) Not good for reading books. 2.5 times heavier than the 10 ounce kindle. I can't imagine reading a book on this device. Maybe a magazine or web surfing on the couch.

I think this device may have been just slightly over-hyped...

Edited by davehicks, 27 January 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#5 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

No multi-tasking. One app at a time, like the iphone. Screen resolution 10xx by 768. Not really something for image editing. No GPS.

I'm just not seeing it. Better than the current net books? I don't have a net book. Not particularly expensive, but not particularly useful. Maybe a better Kindle.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#6 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

Definitely NOT meant to replace laptop.

But ... lame? No way. This is the perfect travel companion for the non-photographer/non-power user. Great for simple e-mail. Great for surfing. Great for games. 140,000 inexpensive apps.

My wife does not want a big/bulky laptop. Or an ugly POS netbook. Right now she uses her iPod Touch when away for email and web surfing. This is EXACTLY what she wants/needs. Small. Light. Gorgeous. Simple. Inexpensive.

They will sell like crazy. The UI is sweet.

BTW, both my kids want one too. My son spends many hours a week with games on his iPod Touch. And with music.

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#7 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

But where the heck is the underwater housing for it?
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#8 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

And will that housing fit iPad 2.0 which will have a camera, iChat and Bluetooth?

I can't help but feel that Mr Jobs has done it again.

I've just sprung for a 15" MacBook Pro. Damn it's good. It just works.

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#9 aboshoff

aboshoff

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:4x4

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

The Sandboxing is my only small gripe --
This is what it is , not meant to be replacement for a desktop and dedicated screen.

I would love to have it fitted in my offroad using OS maps in on window and reversing camera in another and quick search in another , movie screen for the long trips .

Ideal , thanks Mr. JOBS you've done it again.

Edited by aboshoff, 28 January 2010 - 02:12 AM.

#10 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

According to the apple website it will have a phone and bluetooth.

I dont think I'll be buying the MaXiPad I'd still need my laptop, so now I'll be bringing 2 laptop sized devices? Nah.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#11 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

That's really funny!
OK; so what if someone made a device like a portable mini Mac Mini, or something like a Drobo that plugged into the iPad synch outlet, or a hub that allowed connections like hard drives, card readers etc. I think this is big enough and useable enough as a screen to justify such peripherals. Potentially one could then travel with iPad and a box the size of a portable drive and have much of the functionality of a laptop. I'm sure it's possible if Apple lets it happen. I don't think even Apple quite imagined the success of the app industry, so there's probably a whole lot of stuff that will come out of this that no one has even thought of yet.

Edited by loftus, 28 January 2010 - 03:48 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#12 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:11 AM

That's really funny!
OK; so what if someone made a device like a portable mini Mac Mini, or something like a Drobo that plugged into the iPad synch outlet, or a hub that allowed connections like hard drives, card readers etc.

Card readers are already here for it and also keyboards. Specs iWorks is also here for it. And there will be other goodies for it I would guess. The size and weight is tempting for travel, because I have been trying to limit computer use to enjoy trips and it covers a good chunk of why I carry a computer, checking email, watching movies, taking a quick look at what I shot, etc. But there are times when I need a computer for some things (or concerned I may need one) so not sure if I could not carry an actual computer, even an Air....

#13 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Card readers are already here for it and also keyboards. Specs iWorks is also here for it. And there will be other goodies for it I would guess. The size and weight is tempting for travel, because I have been trying to limit computer use to enjoy trips and it covers a good chunk of why I carry a computer, checking email, watching movies, taking a quick look at what I shot, etc. But there are times when I need a computer for some things (or concerned I may need one) so not sure if I could not carry an actual computer, even an Air....

Excellent; so just a matter now of allowing larger external data storage devices, some really good photo sorting apps - maybe a scaled down version of Aperture to at least allow sorting etc (I wonder if something's coming in Aperture 3), and my laptop stays home. Come to think of it, just travel with a bunch of CF / SD cards, and the laptop and Kindle can already stay home. I assume it will allow me to Skype; or will the carriers somehow block that.

Edited by loftus, 28 January 2010 - 05:05 AM.

#14 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

Excellent; so just a matter now of allowing larger external data storage devices, some really good photo sorting apps - maybe a scaled down version of Aperture to at least allow sorting etc (I wonder if something's coming in Aperture 3), and my laptop stays home. Come to think of it, just travel with a bunch of CF / SD cards, and the laptop and Kindle can already stay home.

Maybe iPhoto on the iPad? Would be good enough for quick adjustments and sorting while traveling...

I have a couple of the Hyperdrive/ColorSpace units for backing up CF/SD cards, so covered to shooting and having backups. When the larger SD/CF cards drop in price can use those to copy from the Hyperdrives. Or just carry more cards. But I do get a tad OCD and until I have a copy of the card in a couple of places, I feel a bit uncomfortable :)

#15 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

I assume it will allow me to Skype; or will the carriers somehow block that.

Apple Lifts 3G VoIP Restrictions, iCall with 3G Support Available Immediately

Skype is availlable for the iPhone, and since all iPhone apps should work on the iPad....

#16 martininflorida

martininflorida

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Well; anyone think the iPad will ever be useful to photographers. Will there be a way to use it as a download / storage device maybe.
Basic Image editing may be feasible.
Any ideas?
Who knows it may save us - http://www.luminous-...e.com/whatsnew/

Without USB, it's not clear how easy it will be to hook up to an external hard drive and to move files around. I suspect it will sync via iTunes just as iPhones do today, which is fine for Apps, Music, etc., but if you fill it up with a week's shots and then want to move the images into another computer/hard drive for editing, archiving and storage, it seems like it will be a multi-step process and a bit of a kludge.

Would have also liked to see support for peripheral devices (DVD player) like the Macbook AIR, but as it's running iPhone OS and not MAC OSX, this is probably not feasible.

I'll probably end up with one anyways, but I don't see this replacing any of my existing devices, other than a future Kindle purchase, perhaps.

#17 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

Pretty lame and definately not useful for photo editing.

1) No phone, not even via bluetooth
2) Screen res is 1024x768. Too low for good photo editing. Most netbooks today are higher than this.
3) Also the screen is 4:3 which is bad for movies & tv shows.
4) No usb ports
5) Not good for reading books. 2.5 times heavier than the 10 ounce kindle. I can't imagine reading a book on this device. Maybe a magazine or web surfing on the couch.

I think this device may have been just slightly over-hyped...

This is not a(n ideal) device for photo creation. no argument. However, this is potentially a tremendous device for photo displaying. let me explain.

- my biggest problem is showing off my work to less web savy friends and family. now all i have to to is hand them my device and they can flick through

- my girlfriend recently got me a leather bound portfolio to carry my work. it was a really thoughtful gift, but now i can carry ALL my best work. And, now, in whatever scenario i encounter, i have the right images.

- the 4x3 display is perfect for photos (less so for 16x9 videos)

lets just say, this is not necessarily a device for image creation but for... monetisation?

now, imagine downloading UW Photo Mag on here and having the last 3 or so issues to hand on the next diving trip. Or Martin's underwater photographer's book (Focal Press, are you listening?), digitally dog eared as a reference manual. How about all your camera, strobe, housing, etc instruction manuals? Then, maybe it does AID the image creation process. just some random thoughts.

don't get me wrong, i'm far from an Apple fanboy, but i do see the value in such a device. if only it didn't have that huge bezel ;-)

#18 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

Without USB, it's not clear how easy it will be to hook up to an external hard drive and to move files around. I suspect it will sync via iTunes just as iPhones do today, which is fine for Apps, Music, etc., but if you fill it up with a week's shots and then want to move the images into another computer/hard drive for editing, archiving and storage, it seems like it will be a multi-step process and a bit of a kludge.

Would have also liked to see support for peripheral devices (DVD player) like the Macbook AIR, but as it's running iPhone OS and not MAC OSX, this is probably not feasible.

I'll probably end up with one anyways, but I don't see this replacing any of my existing devices, other than a future Kindle purchase, perhaps.

There does already appear to be USB connectivity with the Camera connector, just a matter of allowing data to flow both ways as it does when you synch, no?

Edited by loftus, 28 January 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#19 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:23 AM

There is NO usb port on the ipad .. it appears to me that the other tablets announced at CES whilst sure less pretty are WAY more functional.

Everything does sync via itunes .. so no folder/file sync at all apart from that. No external usb drive .. no download from your camera ... hell it's not even an ereader or kindle replacement as the screen will burn your retinas off after looking at it for too long.

Oh and it's screen resolution is poor compared to other devices we have already seen. Yes a lot of thought has gone into usability .. but what you can use it for is limited esp as the book store is not available outside the USA and everything runs through itunes like you iphone would.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#20 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:34 AM

There is NO usb port on the ipad .. it appears to me that the other tablets announced at CES whilst sure less pretty are WAY more functional.

Everything does sync via itunes .. so no folder/file sync at all apart from that. No external usb drive .. no download from your camera ... hell it's not even an ereader or kindle replacement as the screen will burn your retinas off after looking at it for too long.

Oh and it's screen resolution is poor compared to other devices we have already seen. Yes a lot of thought has gone into usability .. but what you can use it for is limited esp as the book store is not available outside the USA and everything runs through itunes like you iphone would.

According to the info on the bottom of the page mentioned by Drew, http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ there IS connectivity to your camera allowing you to use your camera's USB cable. So the potential is clearly there to connect any device, it's just a matter of Apple allowing the functionality to happen so that Apps can take advantage of it. People were sceptical about the iPhone, I think it is early days yet. Apple are not going to let this device be just a large iPod I'm sure. They may lock in their own software for transferring images at least initially, but I think the demand ill be great with this device to allow external storage functionality.

Edited by loftus, 28 January 2010 - 06:35 AM.