Purchasing Aquatica housing for S2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 karenp

karenp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography, volleyball, tango, whitewater rafting, wine tasting,

Posted 07 October 2003 - 09:29 PM

Hi folks,

I've decided to purchase the Aquatica housing. I've been looking online but none of the usual suspects come up as dealers. Any suggestions on where I could buy it online from any of you who've already gone this route? Or am I relegated to full retail ;-)
Fuji S2, Aquatica Housing, dual YS90DX strobes, 17-35mm & 50mm lenses

#2 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:03 PM

Try B&H. They have them.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:42 AM

You've got mail.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 bdickson

bdickson

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 03:43 PM

Try calling Blake at Aquatica directly (see www.aquatica.ca for #). He recently sold me a new S2 housing with minor paint blemishes for a considerable discount.

#5 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 26 October 2003 - 04:39 PM

Try calling Blake at Aquatica directly (see www.aquatica.ca for #). He recently sold me a new S2 housing with minor paint blemishes for a considerable discount.

I second that. I got my D100 housing from Blake. You'll almost certainly pay more to get it directly from Aquatica than from B&H, but Blake can help you get exactly what you need in terms of ports, extenders, etc.

And he's a nice guy too. He can be a bit slow answering emails sometimes, so you might want to phone him instead.
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#6 abowie

abowie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Diving in caves

Posted 26 October 2003 - 05:43 PM

It's interesting to see the B7H list price is about US$1500; less than half the price of the Subal. Is the Subal twice as good? :(

If an Aquatica owner on the list would be so kind as to post a picture of the inside of the housing showing details of how the controls work, I'd be very grateful.
Andrew Bowie

Underwater photographers just use more expensive disposable cameras than everyone else..
Nikon D100, F801 in Subal, Canon MV1 in Amphibico. Too many strobes..

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

http://www.wetpixel....aticas2wiseman/

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 07:37 PM

Speaking of B&H, the underwater dude there is trying to get them to raise prices because they are so much lower than everywhere else (but who knows whether the people at the top will listen...). Buy now, if you want the lowest price.

However, UW photo requires quite a bit of upkeep, and having a relationship with a seller is very important. You are going to need something else, eventually, and it's better to be able to call someone up with whom you already have a working a relationship. If they sense a long-term buyer, they may cut you a deal, as well.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#9 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 10:23 PM

Andrew

Where did you see the Aquatica S2 listed on the B&H site? I could not find it.

$1500 may be lower than the Aquatica "Dealer" price.

Chris
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#10 abowie

abowie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Diving in caves

Posted 26 October 2003 - 10:42 PM

Hi Chris! LTNS! How are the "blubbers"?

As you can see the CP5000 bit the dust pretty quickly :(

B&H D100

I went to their homepage and searched for "aquatica d100"
Andrew Bowie

Underwater photographers just use more expensive disposable cameras than everyone else..
Nikon D100, F801 in Subal, Canon MV1 in Amphibico. Too many strobes..

#11 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:42 PM

Yo Andrew

I think the S2 may actually be a tad higher than the D100.

No Blubber to foto here in the "icy" mountains of Japan (it actually snowed on the mountain about 2000 ft above my home. Yikes!!! Thank god my wife just found a round trip ticket to Guam for $160. Once again I will be diving in gin-clear bath water, while getting comfortable with the S2.

Little chance of whales near Guam in November but hopefully this time, the water will be a bit more blue in the images :( Under exposure hopefully will solve the problem but I need to find a balance that will still retain some detail in the shadows.
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#12 Miloe

Miloe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:43 AM

If you are anywhere around the Dallas area, I'd say drop Scorpio_Fish a note.
He certainly helped me out on an Aquatica housing for a D100, both price and advice wise.

Scorpio, hope you don't mind me mentioning your name like this.

Gary

#13 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Gary.

I've shipped to Guam before, too.

I won't get into the B&H pricing issue, but I know how they work. I'm close.

But ask Marriard if he would have gotten his 12-24mm zoom gear in time for his Australian trip if he had ordered it from B&H.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#14 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:16 AM

But ask Marriard if he would have gotten his 12-24mm zoom gear in time for his Australian trip if he had ordered it from B&H.

scorpio-fish makes a great point. Housings aren't mass produced by the millions and sold at every Wal-Mart. Develop a relationship with the manufacturer, and when it's crunch time, they will (hopefully) come through for you.

I don't know about all housing manufacturers, but Aquatica is first rate in their customer service. I imagine that most others are too. The customer base is relatively small (but growing) and happy users are the best advertising they can get.

So yes, I paid a little more by going directly to Aquatica, but Blake has helped me out a couple of times when a dealer maybe wouldn't have been so responsive.

Having said that, I have bought a ton of photographic equipment from B&H, and they are super in every way, but for highly specialized stuff like U/W housings, I would rather go directly to the experts.

:(
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.