Atlantis Submarine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Have been working on photoshoot with my dive buddy and the atlantis submarine tours, every weekend for the past 3 months. On top of the Depth (87'), mild currents and it being in " snow" season, The fact that the submarine only passes the St. Pedro wreck once every 45min really Makes this a difficuly shoot.
Luckly my Partner is a very skilled diver, communicates well and works hard for the shot.

Here are some of my favorite.

Critiques always Welcome and appreciated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the things I need to improve on is getting the whole sub in the photo and getting the diver to fill more of the frame.

*All of my photography is done on a breath hold dive*

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Very cool sci-fi series. I like the first and last shots best with regard to diver position. Is this for promotional purposes or just a fun project?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hawaii Skin diver magazine has asked for a specific sub shot. So far I havnt been able to get THE shot they want..

question: why do you call it a "sci-fi seiries" ?

Edited by DerekB, 02 February 2010 - 11:43 AM.

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

I just think it has a very sci-fi feel to it, almost fantasy like.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

I just think it has a very sci-fi feel to it, almost fantasy like.

Ahh, I get it. I was also just told that it has a Batman feel to it.

Hawaii skin diver magazine ask for a photo with a similiar feel as the corsair plane wreck.

Posted Image * corsair photo was not taken by me*

Do you think I acheived a similiar "feel" ? If not was can be changed?

#6 Stefin

Stefin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

I love the shots and great use of natural light, I dont think you need to have the diver any larger in the frame, it allows the viewer a referance point to then marvel at the scenery and/or other parts of the picture (sub/wreck ect).
The first thing I noticed was that all your shots seem to have the sub moving away from the camera and into the background, I believe that there is more interest from the picture viewers point when a main object in a shot is coming toward them, even the wreckage of the plane in the magazine example, we know that it's not going anywhere but the photographer has taken the shot so that the plane is pointed toward the veiwer.
I realise that there may be a lot of persuading to be done with the submarines owners but for saftey's sake you may have to talk them into bringing the sub to a complete stop in order to get this shot. I'm sure that you will eventually get the knockout picture that all the magazines will be after.

#7 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:06 AM

I would say that the shot Number 3, if you would strafe 10 metters to your own right, would be the perfect one : ]

#8 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

Awesome Shots!!!

Really original work

RE - Hawaii skin diver magazine

More photoshop required.

Increase the blue channel in the black and white image to get more 'whites' into the background water.

Theres not enough contrast in the image

Feel free to email me at cjmero@gmail.com if you want some detailed BW instructions.

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#9 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

Great shots!
First and last are my favourites as well.

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#10 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Great shots - terrific concept.

I think you would have a better chance of getting the shot if you put the diver between the sub and the surface.
This would give you the bonus of the drama that forced perspective creates.

You would also get a chance a two different aspects - one as the model descend and then on the ascent

Look forward to seeing your final results.

#11 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:54 AM

The first shot will work for a cover shot as it has negative space at the top of the image where the magazine name will be. It would be great if you could get the diver in the position of where the letter I in DIVER should be, so above the suband just to the right of centre.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com