• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnRLewis

JohnRLewis

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:10 AM

I'm saving up cash for a Nikon D100 setup, researching while I wait.

I can't decide on what stobe setup to get.

Do I house the SB-80dx? Or do I get something like the Ikelite DS-125? I am leaning towards the latter, because I've heard that the dTTL does not work that well underwater anyway, and that I should just learn to use manual power settings.

I plan to do both macro and wide angle.

If I were to get a single DS-125 with manual controller would that be sufficient for a while?

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:05 AM

Personally, I wouldn't waste money and space on housing an SB80DX. While it may work well for macro, it is too limiting. If you ever get into wide angle, you will need another strobe setup, as the SB80DX is not up to the task.

A single DS125 will cover most wide angle needs. Two is better. You will have to practice your aiming skills. The manual controller is nice. I would like to have it for macro work, where I find minute shifts in strobe to subject distance can more easily cause improper strobe output for the scene. I don't lust after it as much with wide angle.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:18 AM

DTTL does work well underwater. But most of the time you don't need it! I use an SB80DX, and will continue to, but I would also recommend that 1 or 2 UW strobes are a more flexible purchase allowing you to shoot both macro and wide angle.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 15 October 2003 - 01:50 AM

Thank you all for the replies, it was very kind.
I have more questions on the most flexible set-up but I will put them on a separate thread.

Jorge
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery