Recent advances in scientific diving?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Marine Biology, conservation, temperate water diving.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of updating a chapter on scientific diving techniiques for an academic book on marine survey methods. It was last written 4-5 years ago so i'm aware there will be new developments in that time, many of which will have escaped me. Nowhere will that be more true than in the world of underwater imaging. Now I know that the wetpixel community contains a great diversity of expertise and experience, so I'm hoping to draw on some of that knowledge. I'm specifically looking for links or info about new survey techniques being used, new technology and equipment being adopted for scientific work (rebreathers, HUDs, communications, new diver-operated sampling devices etc), new uses of underwater imaging, especially HD systems. Links to published papers are especially useful.

Thanks in advance

Colin

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

Check out the aaus.org

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Check out the aaus.org

Thanks Tom

I will

#4 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi Colin,

You're probably already aware, but digital video is now being used quite successfully for fixed transects in coral areas to monitor changes in substrate cover- e.g.
http://www.aims.gov....benthic-surveys

Fergus
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#5 ColinMunro

ColinMunro

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi Colin,

You're probably already aware, but digital video is now being used quite successfully for fixed transects in coral areas to monitor changes in substrate cover- e.g.
http://www.aims.gov....benthic-surveys

Fergus

Hi fergus

I am, and aware that AIMS have being doing a lot in this area, but of course things have moved on a lot in the past five years, with equipment changing from analogue>SD>HD. So its good to get links to recent studies.

Cheers

Colin

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of updating a chapter on scientific diving techniiques for an academic book on marine survey methods. It was last written 4-5 years ago so i'm aware there will be new developments in that time, many of which will have escaped me. Nowhere will that be more true than in the world of underwater imaging. Now I know that the wetpixel community contains a great diversity of expertise and experience, so I'm hoping to draw on some of that knowledge. I'm specifically looking for links or info about new survey techniques being used, new technology and equipment being adopted for scientific work (rebreathers, HUDs, communications, new diver-operated sampling devices etc), new uses of underwater imaging, especially HD systems. Links to published papers are especially useful.

Thanks in advance

Colin

http://www.nova.edu/...iles/m16-05.pdf
for some recent (2008, I think) comparisons from Woods Hole.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net